Favorite place in the Pine Barrens

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Ha , so true . The original WAWA is now the liquor store diagonally across the street ! They do keep building that up . They are putting in more over 50 something housing . There was a drowning this weekend @ Harry Wright lake , surprised no one posted anything . Its a shame . That lake is really shallow , very surprising .

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tonite:

bobsbogbeat.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You should change the name of the bog to Bob's Lake.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I’m with Boyd, the back yard- particularly the vegetable garden! But you have to be willing to put up with things like long power outages, bad phone lines, buck (deer) flies, ticks, chiggers, destructive pine voles, pollen beyond belief, and the threat of fire.

Otherwise, I’m a little hesitant to provide specific locations in fear of people loving them to death. Instead, here are some valued landscape elements: ancient trails and their forgotten settlement; sugar-sand covered Pleistocene dune fields; tracts of land with multiple spungs arranged in amazing configurations; and learning about Pinelands Villages through the stories told by their residents.

Has anyone ever been to the old silver mines along the Maurice or Great Egg Harbor Rivers? They are real features, but are not man-made. My wife grew up on Mine Road at Rose Cottage in Irishtown (rural Hunterdon). She swears Pine Barrens “siiver mines” look just like old graphite and iron-mine tunnel cave-ins. Instead they are better interpreted as relicts of Ice Age suffosion events. Old legend, real places, new explanation.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have found trenches in the woods in various locations around here with large trees growing in them,some are over ten feet deep.I assumed they were sandstone mines of old since there is sandstone chunks in them and around them.Would these be your silver mines? I have always assumed these are manmade,they make excellent little hideouts.I have noticed there are no spoil banks around the edges of these holes and trenches.Always walk right up to the edge before you know they are there.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have noticed there are no spoil banks around the edges of these holes and trenches.Always walk right up to the edge before you know they are there.

There are a number of signs posted along the roads in the area of the Bevan WMA warning of dangerous deep holes in the woods. That always interested me but I never took the time to investigate. Is that what you're talkng about?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know of no deep holes in Bevan other then some obviously old gravel pits that are no longer used,that and some potentially maiming cellar holes from the old Baileytown settlements. I tripped and almost fell head first into the Dupree cellar hole which is about nine feet deep.
if you want to check out some of these trenches I can send you coords.i was going to link them here to bens maps but canm't get it to work right now.there are some between menantico creek and berrymans branch and more along the west side of manumuskin creek south of 49 and I'm sure I know where theres more if I sit an meditate on it.Would be great locations to dig tunnels into and make a fort if you had steel to shore them up.Wait a minute, I'm 49,my fort building days are over:)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
My favorite place in the pines? In winter, just about any cedar swamp. In summer, any cool cedar water spot where I can swim. And when the urge hits, I'll swim in the fall when the cedar water is cold.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Just catching up on old threads that caught my eye. I would say it's really hard to pick when you like both highlands and wetlands. My favorites: The entire Forked River Mountain area and every single white cedar forest I have ever encountered. I think it's about my mood. When I need serenity I find a shaded spot to sit and gaze at a calm cedar lake. When I need a little adventure I go in search of views above the tree line. Serenity and Adventure. I usually end up finding a little of both no matter where I go in the Pines. That is the beauty of being out there.

KDOG

Oct 6, 2013
Dennis Township NJ
Hmmm, right now I'd have to say that my favorite place is the East Creek Lake and trail area. I've snapped some phenomenal pics there, some I've sent to a contact in the state for use in their literature and website. When I meet the requirements I'll post some of them.

JasonBreen

Sep 14, 2013
Toms River
My favorite place? Hmm... probably the Brooksbrae Brick Factory, on Pasadena Road, first place I ever explored with my class at college.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
My favorite place? Hmm... probably the Brooksbrae Brick Factory, on Pasadena Road, first place I ever explored with my class at college.
Where is that? Right next to Pasadena WL Management, between 539 and Savoy? North or south of Webbs Mill Rd?

JasonBreen

Sep 14, 2013
Toms River
Where is that? Right next to Pasadena WL Management, between 539 and Savoy? North or south of Webbs Mill Rd?
As Pasadena Road turns into Pasadena Woodmansie road, about 4 and a half miles down the road, there will be, on your right, some white washed oak trees. Pull over there, and it's just a short walk over the train tracks, and straight ahead on the trail. Oh and its a little northwest of Webbs Mill, and right off 539.