Favorite time to go to the pines?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I wonder what everyone's favorite time of the year to go to the pines is?
Mine is the fall and winter. Fall especially holds the best photographic opportunities, as the brilliant reds of the oaks along with the green of the pines makes for some beautiful color. Plus you have the trails covered with pine needles.
Early spring is OK, but by May it gets warm and the biting pine flies and cankerworms come out. I aint crazy about the ticks either, so I prefer the colder times of year.

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
LongIslandPiney said:
Mine is the fall and winter. Fall especially holds the best photographic opportunities, as the brilliant reds of the oaks along with the green of the pines makes for some beautiful color. Plus you have the trails covered with pine needles.
Early spring is OK, but by May it gets warm and the biting pine flies and cankerworms come out. I aint crazy about the ticks either, so I prefer the colder times of year.
I have to agree. For on-trail hiking I like September to June. For bush-whacking I like it 40 degrees or lower.

Roy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
LongIslandPiney said:
I wonder what everyone's favorite time of the year to go to the pines is?

Cankerworm?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There is something about each season I love but August. August usually means oppressive humidity and the start of chigger season.

I love the spring for the flowering plants. I love the summer for the long days, canoeing and swimming, and sounds of cicadas and crickets. I love the fall for the last lingering flower plants and smells of Autumn. I like the winter hikes. Today was great. I went out with a couple botanists for a winter botany lesson. Very interesting and a great sunny day.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
BobM said:
Cankerworm?

They are also known as inchworms, they hang from the trees in late spring/early summer. When I went on a hike in late May in Rocky Point last year they were all over the place hanging from those silk threads (webs) all over the woods. I'm not talking about just a few, but hundreds of thousands of them. So many in fact you heard the sound of rain in the woods, because they emit so much waste that drops. It was impossible to avoid, I must've gotten at least 50 of them on me that day. They crawl all over you and are kind of gross. I was picking them off for hours after I left Rocky point.
These worms also defoliate oaks. Unless we get some long period of cold weather, I have a feeling the worms are gonna be worse this year. They are moth larva, I believe.

MokoTu

Jan 24, 2006
Jursea Green Zone
Thats a hard one....each season has something special to offer, Enjoying the Solitude of the Pines is always best in the colder months and I do like the higher faster water levels for paddle'n. Spring and Fall for flora ...it's all just so good.
Yesterday seemed to be a favorite for alot of people. What a beautiful clear warm day in January on the Quaker Road. It brought out hikers, horseback riders and men fishing.
What a diverse and wonderful place no matter what time of year . The scenery,wildlife , waterways and prospect of discovering a new historical adventure are always waiting just around that next turn no matter what time of year it is.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
For hiking, I go out anytime in the fall, after the first good frost (otherwise the chiggers are really bad) until it warms up in the spring. Then I switch to my canoe. Even in August when it's hot, the water is the nicest to swim in. Lots of good swimming spots on the Batsto and Oswego.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
I love October through early November, where the weather is still reasonably mild, and the trees are losing their foliage so you can see much better and hear the dry leaves in the wind. Everything smells different in the autumn.

But I also love spring, and laurels in bloom.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Fall and Spring for me. The weather that we have now is absolutely perfect for exploring.

Of course the ticks are also happy that it's warmer. Fortunately they're fewer in number.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I'll hit the Pines hiking any season but summer. The undergrowth and small pest are really to much to take. I head for the Mts in summer. I do kayak in the Pines during the summer months though. I dont have a particular favorite season otherwise; Fall with its colors, the Spring croakers, and a fresh snow on tree top Pines all hold special places in my heart.