February FROGS....

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Frog 5745 (2).jpg

Hi folks.... While riding my bike today I came upon a section of road that sang sweet music to my ears.
Croaking and lots of it. I got off my bike, walked over to the edge of this small pond along the roadway and saw frogs. Frogs playing, frogs diving, frogs floating, frogs singing.... a literal frog party. Guy will kindly remind me of the importance of purchasing a camera with video :oops:. My small camera captured this scene. I circled the little critters so you get an idea of how many there were.
It's a good day!

Terry

It would appear that this winters warm temps have brought the frogs out early.

I also came upon a frog today. I didn;t get a good look at it, I just heard a sound and then a splash as I was walking along the road near the headwaters of Absecon Creek, south branch, which runds through a beautiful cedar swamp.

See you at the "Frog Rock" LOL, pun intended...

Raven

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Hurrah!! Peepers?
I think you get the prize for this spring's first-Forum-frog-foto!!

See you at Lines on the Pines!

Glo

Gloria, I believe they were southern leopard frogs. I looked up their "call" this morning. I want to check the ponds we went to last spring to see what's happening there at the moment.

Terry

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I actually heard a single peeper in late january this year.It was in peaslees and just under 50 degrees.first time I ever heard them before march but then again my hyacinths have been up since january too.very odd year.

I agree with OJI, Claytonia virginica, one of the first ephemerals of Spring. Legend has it that the colonists names it Spring Beauty coz the bulbs are edible and they had a renewed food source in spring. I saw this one at Oldman' s Creek on a walk last year. Its a charming little flower.

Al,

It doesnt grow too much in the Pine Barrens. it prefers a more rich soil and is found throughout most of NJ. Salem county has some as I imagine the western portions of Gloucester and Camden counties. I saw some last march at Oldman's Creek. Its a small bulb so it naturalizes like Daffodils.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Ahhhh. I went to 3 ponds yesterday that I figured would have some activity and there was nothing. Perhaps the ponds were too big and just a little area of warmer water was all it took to entice the critters out for a day of play.

"Getting it back on track, I saw mention of this movement of 5th graders who wish to have the Pine Barrens tree frog listed as New Jersey's official state amphibian." Whippoorbill

Bill, I thought that the NJ legislation had already made this designation.... ? ? ? I guess not. hmmm.

Terry