February FROGS....

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We saw a fence lizard yesterday. Sorry, no picture. The dogs were trying to climb it's tree.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Good to hear that frogs are still singing. I was afraid they were going extinct. I remember camping out one summer night around 1970, by Bamber Lake. It sounded like Jurassic Park.

Speaking of fifth graders, once, long ago, hiking in the depths of the Barrens, I found a helium balloon with a message attached. It had been sent off to fly in the air by an elementary school class in Massachusetts...I think...? The message requested that the finder let them know where it wound up, which I did, and got a nice thank you letter in return.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Good to hear that frogs are still singing. I was afraid they were going extinct. I remember camping out one summer night around 1970, by Bamber Lake. It sounded like Jurassic Park.

Speaking of fifth graders, once, long ago, hiking in the depths of the Barrens, I found a helium balloon with a message attached. It had been sent off to fly in the air by an elementary school class in Massachusetts...I think...? The message requested that the finder let them know where it wound up, which I did, and got a nice thank you letter in return.

Jumping the Subject here But , A friend of mine and me were traveling on the tracks from Waterford to Atsion about 25 years ago and found some balloons hovering over the tracks. There was a note with a phone number to call.The kids were from Virginia Later found out they were the winners for there balloons going the longest distance and there teacher gave them a pizza party. Funny what you can find.Thanks for jogging my memory Pan.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Man, if I found those balloons I'd be contacting the teacher or administrator and asking why they're not teaching the kids environment-friendly lessons. Guess there was a big difference 25 years ago, but I dont recall doing projects like that back then.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Sorry Mike, but since the great majority of litter (in the pines) is put there by New Jersyites (mostly trash, beer bottles and construction debris), I really don't see a problem with the ballons. The idea is for some one to find it and not leave it there, but to send a note to the school. I went to school 30+ years ago and it was fun, I don't think we were damaging the ecology. We, maybe naively, figured the people who found them would discard them.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Jumping the Subject here But , A friend of mine and me were traveling on the tracks from Waterford to Atsion about 25 years ago and found some balloons hovering over the tracks. There was a note with a phone number to call.The kids were from Virginia Later found out they were the winners for there balloons going the longest distance and there teacher gave them a pizza party. Funny what you can find.Thanks for jogging my memory Pan.

I don't really remember where the balloon I found was from, someplace pretty far away, maybe even Virginia too. Hey, is the Pine Barrens like the Sargasso Sea, but a collecting place for lost aerial devices?

Nah, I don't think that elementary school helium balloons are a serious environmental problem.

:)

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I don't really remember where the balloon I found was from, someplace pretty far away, maybe even Virginia too. Hey, is the Pine Barrens like the Sargasso Sea, but a collecting place for lost aerial devices?

Nah, I don't think that elementary school helium balloons are a serious environmental problem.

:)
They are when they make it to the ocean. Sea turtles think they are jellyfish, eat them, get impacted and die.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Come on. This is silly. How many long distance elementary school helium balloons are there compared with, say, plastic bags, plastic soda bottles, oil spills, big ships dumping their refuse, cities dumping their refuse, old fishing nets, chemical dumping, Fukushima radiation, future radiation from nuclear WW3...

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Come on. This is silly. How many long distance elementary school helium balloons are there compared with, say, plastic bags, plastic soda bottles, oil spills, big ships dumping their refuse, cities dumping their refuse, old fishing nets, chemical dumping, Fukushima radiation, future radiation from nuclear WW3...

It's not silly, it"s real. We used to collect the ballons when boating. They float along time with little inflation. Our dive club had a program given by some orginization, I forgot which, about the turtles dieing.

http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/balloons.htm

One of the orginazations was The Marine Mamal Stranding Center in Brigantine.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Back to the frogs,
Designates Pine Barrens treefrog as New Jersey State Amphibian.
An Act designating the Pine Barrens treefrog as the New Jersey State Amphibian, and supplementing chapter 9A of Title 52 of the Revised Statutes.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S0500/351_I1.HTM

State amphibians don't outrank state monsters, do they? I wouldn't want to see any animosity develop between the J.D. and tree frogs or vice versa, over grant money or profits on t-shirt sales and so forth.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
It's not silly, it"s real. We used to collect the ballons when boating. They float along time with little inflation. Our dive club had a program given by some orginization, I forgot which, about the turtles dieing.

http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/balloons.htm

One of the orginazations was The Marine Mamal Stranding Center in Brigantine.

I spot spent mylar balloons in the woods all the time. I’ve unfortunately come to expect the bottles and cans tossed out truck windows along sand roads but the remoteness of the areas I find balloons always disappoints me. I always assumed that for every one I found in the woods many more made it out to the bay or ocean.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I spot spent mylar balloons in the woods all the time. I’ve unfortunately come to expect the bottles and cans tossed out truck windows along sand roads but the remoteness of the areas I find balloons always disappoints me. I always assumed that for every one I found in the woods many more made it out to the bay or ocean.

Where they can choke a porpoise or strangle an albatross?They piss me off to but I say they are less of a danger to critters on land then in the water.