Federal Dollars for Pinelands Conservation

B

bach2yoga

Federal Dollars for Pinelands Conservation

With tireless help from our representatives in Washington, D.C., an intensive effort by PPA, the New Jersey Conservation Foundation and The Nature Conservancy has succeeded in winning $750,000 in funding from the federal government for Pinelands land acquisition. This is only a small part of the $9 million that have been authorized by Congress some years ago but not yet appropriated. Still, it is the first appropriation of its kind in many years, and we hope it sets the stage for annual federal funding for the Pinelands. Money for conservation was incredibly restricted this year due to the ideological opposition of the political leadership, especially in the House of Representatives. But New Jersey's delegation - led by Republican Congressman Jim Saxton and Democratic Senators Jon Corzine and Frank Lautenberg - really came through for the Pinelands.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
Awesome. I wonder what land they're buying.

Right now there's 35 acres in lacey for $30k.

Wow, that's cheap! Maybe I'll move up there! :wink:

I don't know what property is being considered....it was a refreshing change to see that it was republicans pushing it through for a change, it often seems as though many republican legislatures don't give a darn.

Renee