film still seeking new and old Pine Barrens stories

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I agree. However, I guess they were desperate because of the tremendous overcrowding of the schools. I don't know why they just didn't build on because there is plenty of land to do so on their current property or could have built up. Most areas are one floor at Lenape.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I graduated from Lenape, and was back visiting in the school one day about 20 years ago and it was so different. It was a pretty basic school when I attended. When I started there the Vietnam war was still going and the atmosphere was tense and dark. By the time I graduated everything was 180 degrees different and the war was over.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My daughter was a student at Shawnee during the time when Seneca was planned. IIRC, overcrowding at Shawnee was one of the main factors for building another school. I don't recall all the details, but the choice of that site was very contentious and legal challenges delayed construction and made the project go over budget. They built on protected land and traded development credits with another parcel. I think there were other sites on major roads that would also be in the right geographic area but wouldn't involve Pinelands credits. Traffic to/from the school was one of the objections that were raised.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My son grabbed a fox hound last night that was running down our street. The dog had a Pennsylavania collar on and after three attempts, he connected with the number on the collar. As it turns out, the Pa. owner had recently sold the dog to a guy in Winslow who live on the south side of the swamp across from our house. That guy was in AC when my son called and he said he would grab him later. We had him tied off out front with a bowl of food water and a blanket and the guy came and retrieved him last night.
They were running the Albertson Branch yesterday morning when this one split off and didn't regroup with the pack later on in the day.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Haha coincidence I think not. AC... Foxes... I think you are onto something mystical Redneck. That's pretty cool actually your fox story with the PA collar. Are they legal to own here?

EffinGenius

Aug 27, 2012
Medford Lakes
My daughter was a student at Shawnee during the time when Seneca was planned. IIRC, overcrowding at Shawnee was one of the main factors for building another school.

Overcrowding was a serious issue at Shawnee when Medford, Medford Lakes, Tabernacle, and Indian Mills all fed into it. My freshman year of HS (1984-5) it was so overcrowded that our freshman class had split sessions. We started school at 12:25 PM and went until about 5:00 PM each day. All of our "afterschool" activities took place in the morning while the upperclassmen were in school. They only did that the one year and then built the additions onto the school in the early 1990s.

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Overcrowding was a serious issue at Shawnee when Medford, Medford Lakes, Tabernacle, and Indian Mills all fed into it. My freshman year of HS (1984-5) it was so overcrowded that our freshman class had split sessions. We started school at 12:25 PM and went until about 5:00 PM each day. All of our "afterschool" activities took place in the morning while the upperclassmen were in school. They only did that the one year and then built the additions onto the school in the early 1990s.
That is completely dumb.