finally... moved to the pines

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Welcome too, Stizkidz! It is a privilege to live here. We need more concerned stewards of place. Join the Pinelands Preservation Alliance, serve on your local environmental commission, show up to Pinelands Commission meetings and find out what is going on. Don't let the political entrepreneurs (opportunists) get away with circumventing the ruling Comprehensive Management Plan that protected the National Reserve so well in the past for their own personal gain. You can make a difference.

Spung-Man

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Good choice! You're getting the best of both worlds... the NJ pinelands sprinkled with a little bay heritage. Enjoy both!

John-

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Welcome to the Pines... Many, many fun and interesting thing to do within the boundaries of the Pine Barrens... Some highly acceptable and some although perfectly legal and enjoyed by many families, unacceptable by people with their own believes and agendas. There are many different clubs, organizations and groups to get involved with, if you choose. Stay true to your heart about what you enjoy to do and select them based on that. Some you just can't read by their covers or even the first hundred pages for that matter!!!!!

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Ok, I am having a problem with tiny black ants. They are all over my kitchen. I used a pesticide spray that I have been successfully using for years - but to no avail. It is a barrier style spray that normally lasts 12 months. The ants just keep coming.

Any suggestions?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Stiz, I have had great luck controlling ants with Terro liquid baits. You can also use the homemade mixture of Borax soap and sugar to poison them as well. Unfortunately the process takes several days with either of the baits.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have tried many things over the years. The little black plastic ant traps are somewhat effective for me. Have also tried a gel type insecticide that you squirt into cracks. But starting last year I've just been using all purpose RAID House and Garden spray. I spray it along their trails - like the crack between the kitchen countertop and wall, so it goes way into there.

This seems very effective, but it's a mess because it gets all over everything and you have clear off all the counters before spraying, then clean up the overspray. I did this in the kitchen about a month ago and even now I still find a random dead ant on the counter that has passed through the sprayed cracks.

A few days ago the whole side of my house was covered with ants, hundreds if not thousands of them in an area maybe 10 feet high X 16 feet wide. I sprayed that whole area with the same RAID stuff and have not seen any since.

Ants are something to look forward to every spring. But they don't usually last too long once the weather gets hot. :)