Firearms

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I didn't see a thread on this, so I figured I'd start one. Any of you folks into firearms? Over the last year or so, I went through the mess of obtaining my FID card and recently applied for (3) handgun permits.

I currently have a Ruger 10/22 Carbine and Remington 870 Express Tactical. My wife has her pink Ruger 10/22 Carbine. I've always like the 22-round for general all-purpose target shooting at the range. I've been reading about the Remington 597 recently. That sounds like a nice .22LR semi-automatic rifle as well.

The range I attend, allows me to purchase/transfer/store handguns there until my handgun permits arrive. Because of that, they're holding my Ruger Mark III Hunter and Umarex/Colt 1911. 22LR Rail.

1256.jpg

870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.jpg

1185.jpg

10118.jpg

thumb_2245705_rs.jpg

(Note: Picture size is not to scale.)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have been shooting all of my life. I started with a Marlin bolt action 22 when I was around ten. I still have that rifle and it is worn out. I can't even imagine how many rounds have been shot with it, maybe fifteen thousand. I have a sweet spot for the forty-five acp and own several Colt National Match Gold Cup 1911s. Two are seventy series and one is an early eighty series. I also have a M&P 45C, Smith and Wesson 625 Revolver, H&K P2000 9mm,, a Kimber 22 conversion for a 1911 and Beretta 84fs. The long guns I own are M&p 15 Sport (modified for bench shooting), a worn out Marlin Model 25n, and a Benelli Legacy. I love shooting and do so atleast twice a month. I haven't hunted in the last three years. I got frustrated with hunting in New Jersey and lost interest in it for now. I even sold my Thompson FX muzzleloader and Remington 11-87. Earlier today, I was at Cheyenne Outfitters discussing my next pistol, which will be Dan Wesson bobtail 1911 or a Browning HP. I love the sport.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Ruger did their homework when they designed that pistol. You get everything you need and no "bling". The Gunsite ranch ran Ruger's preproduction pistols through some hard trials and had only a few failures. The failures were do to the pistols needing to be broke in. Honestly, it is hard to build a 1911 pistol that doesn't perform. The Ruger and the Remington R1 Enhanced are incredible value. If you shoot enough 45 acp, it can get expensive and reloading starts to become more of an necessity. Dillon makes a nice turret loader. This summer alone, I shot enough to fill a five gallon bucket with empty brass.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Yea, the cost of ammo is one of the things that keeping me from rushing to get this. I can shoot all of my guns for hours for $20.00. I've been at the range where folks bring their 1911 45's and they're gone after a 50-round box of ammo. I can do 500 rounds for less than twenty bucks. Sure, it's not the same as feeling that power of the .45, but I like spending time shooting and not being handcuffed by the cost of ammo. All that said, I will have one of the SR1911's someday. May not be until 2012, but I will own one.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This is what I shot this summer. All of the ammo was digested by only two pistols, the M&P 45c and the eighty series Colt. I bought the Kimber 22 conversion just to go shoot all day for about a third of the price.

brass.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like you are one of those who cleans up after yourself. Many people just leave everything behind.

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
It looks like you are one of those who cleans up after yourself. Many people just leave everything behind.

Guy
if you see 45 shells pick them up. they're worth money :) i started reloading at 13. in competition i shot 22, center fire, 45, 22 and high power rifle by the time i was 14.
its the 22's and shotgun shells that are left all over. i never understood it. as a kid i would sift the dirt at Riverside Rifle and Pistol in Tabernacle. got money at the scrap yard for 22 brass and melted down the lead and sold it back to the reloaders.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Good thread!! When my father passed away a few years back, we were going thru some stuff and I found 3 Colt .45 pistols. 2 are govt. issue, 1 is a Commander, which, from what I can tell, was purchased in the late 70's(?) and never been fired. Brand new still in the box!! One of the govt. issues I traced back to being made in 1918. The other looks to be modified for match shooting with the trigger drilled out and semi custom sites. I also came across a few rifles, that I need to get more info on. I had spoken to Scott (Redneck350) about them on one of our Meet and Greets at the Pic a year ago, to see if he could help me out when I get the info on them.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The last time I shot a rifle was around 1967, but I was pretty good back then. Went through the whole NRA qualification program and was a member of the high school rifle team. Then I was a hippie war protestor in college and sold my rifles because they weren't cool anymore. ;) I later regretted that because one of them was a Winchester 22 automatic that my Grandfather left me (nothing special, just sentimental value).

Anyway, I've thought I should get another 22 and see how good I am today, but it sounds like a real pain to do this in NJ. Can somebody give me the "short version" of what I'd need to do to purchase a 22 rifle (not a handgun)? Or is there a website that explains this clearly? When I've looked before, I found conflicting info although I didn't spend much time researching. The standard advice I've seen is "go to your local police dept". Heh, we don't have a police department in Estell Manor. :)

I was moving boxes of old junk out of storage the other day and came across a 22 caliber Crossman pellet pistol that I had forgotten completely about, think I got it back around 1975. No pellets for it anymore, and I have a suspicion that you even need some kind of license to purchase these in NJ. Is that possible? Are air rifles and BB guns treated the same as firearms?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Good thread!! When my father passed away a few years back, we were going thru some stuff and I found 3 Colt .45 pistols. 2 are govt. issue, 1 is a Commander, which, from what I can tell, was purchased in the late 70's(?) and never been fired. Brand new still in the box!! One of the govt. issues I traced back to being made in 1918. The other looks to be modified for match shooting with the trigger drilled out and semi custom sites. I also came across a few rifles, that I need to get more info on. I had spoken to Scott (Redneck350) about them on one of our Meet and Greets at the Pic a year ago, to see if he could help me out when I get the info on them.

Chrisr, the value of your early Colt 1911 will easily triple if it has any U.S. Army or government property stampings on the slide. It should also have United States Property stamped on the frame. If it is great shape, that pistol can bring three thousand dollars or more if it has a either of those markings on it. Give Colt a call and they will answer all of your questions on any of their 1911s.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Boyd, the first form is for your FID card and your pistol permit(s). It has been awhile but I remember several forms I had to fill out. The first was the same as in your first link, the second was release to search my medical records to see if I was ever in a mental institution or treated by a doctor for mental illness and the third was a personal reference sheet. There is a fee for the application. I am almost certain you have to go through your local police department. The chief of police or issuing authority has to endorse your card. The process isn't hard, it just takes time. To answer your second question, yes, that form is filled out with every purchase and along with that there is a NICS check, which is a quick background check. (You only have to apply for your FID card once and can purchase as many long guns as you like. To purchase a pistol, you need a pistol permit just for that pistol.)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks 46er. Is this form just for handguns, or would it be the same for long rifles? http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

And what is this? Does it also need to be filled out every time you make a purchase? http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf

The first form is for both depending on which box you check. You must obtain the ID card first, and that is all you need for a long gun. If you want to get a pistole, you must complete the form again, checking the pistole box and go thru another background check. If all you want is a .22 rifle, just check the box for 'Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card'. Once you receive the card your good to go for as many long guns as your budget can afford, but only 1 every 30 days.
The second form is completed by sellers of the firearms.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The easiest thing to do is visit a State Police barracks since you do not have a local police department. They will help you thru the process. I obtained my permit many moons ago when it was first instituted and I know some things have changed a bit, like the 1 firearm in 30 days regulation. You might also stop by a reputable gun shop in your area with any questions if you don't want to visit the barracks.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The one firearm every thirty days regulation is only for handguns. If the regulations have changed recently, NICS didn't deny my latest purchase. I couldn't find purchase regulations on long guns on the NJSP website.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I agree that the easiest thing to do is visit your local PD or State Police. They'll hook you up with the 2 or 3 or 4 (I forget) forms that you'll need. I already have my FID card, which wasn't all that bad to obtain. Once obtained, that FID card will allow you to purchase as many long-guns as you'd like. The handgun permits, on the other hand, are a big pain in the a**. You need (1) for every pistol you want to purchase, they expire after a certain period of time (but can be extended once) and you're limited to (1) handgun purchase every (30) days. NJ firearms laws really, really suck, big time.

In addition, there are restrictions on what long rifles, shotguns and pistol you're allowed to own in NJ. I don't recall all the laws, since there ar so many, but for example, a handgun can not have a magazine that holds more than 15-rounds.