First snow

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Hunted geese late this afternoon, the air felt raw. Saw several waves of birds on a mission in a flight path they don't usually take. I think they know what is in store.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From our friends to the north ;)

Bangor Maine Police Department

Dear Mid-Atlantic of these United States of America.

I think we all knew it could happen. Every year when you pack up your well tanned family and head back home from our tiny piece of paradise, you look back and see us raking up our leaves and putting our snow shovels by the door. You always sigh, knowing that we will be dealing with winter in a far different way than you will.

With lobster traps on your roof and pine cones in your carry ons, you think of us with with warm memories of fantastic sunsets, thick accents and great clam chowder. You talk to the family about coming back next year and enjoying all that Maine has to offer.

Down deep, you feel sorry for us. You know that we will be moving snowbanks, raking our roof, smashing ice dams off the shingles and stoking the wood stove with the dollar bills that you left behind.

Listen, this storm is going to miss us. This is not typical and we want to share a little advice of how to make it through an epic "snow event" unscathed. We want you to come back next year. Here are a few tips.

1. Don't panic. It's just frozen rain. It does go away so don't try to move too much at one time.
2. Don't shovel too early and don't wait too long. Pace yourself. Go out every few hours and move a little at a time. It can hurt your back, arms and legs. You always wonder why we all walk funny. It is not because of the clam chowder.
3. Heart attacks in big snow storms are rather common. Help out your neighbor who is older, out of shape or that has known health problems. Helping them move some snow (better yet, let your offspring do it) is better than calling EMS while you are doing CPR. Seriously.
4. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy all the bread on the shelves. As a lifelong Mainer, I recommend cereal. No better reason has ever been invented to eat Golden Crisp, Honeycomb or Captain Crunch (don't get the peanut butter flavored. That stuff sucks). You will need milk and of course a bowl and spoon. You probably already have that in the house. I have lived for several weeks on only Rice Crispies and Snickers.
5. Get some batteries and flashlights that work. Nothing is worse than going through the junk drawer and finding only 1 D battery when you need two. LED flashlights are awesome, cheap and last and last. You might need one to find the cereal.
6. Charge your Cellphone. If you have a generator, you need gas. You look stupid trying to start a generator with no gas in it. Don't ask me how I know. Do not run the generator inside a basement or garage. Yes, people do that. Usually only one time.
7. Toilets flush without electricity. If you fill your tub with water, you can use it for all kinds of things, including flushing the toilet. Also, to wash cereal bowls.
8. Fill your car up with gas. If you get stuck somewhere and have to run the car, make sure you clean out around the tail pipe and do not fall asleep with the car running. We need you to come back next summer to buy more lobster and lobster traps. Pine cones are free.

Most of all, take care of each other. Be nice and invite neighbors to hole up at one location. Hide expensive things, but help them. (that's the cop talking).

You will be fine. We drink lots of coffee and complain when we get hit like this storm. It works ok. It makes us grouchy but that's why you come here in the summer. To hear stories from grumpy Mainers who sell lobster traps. Now, you will have some of your own to share with us when you get back.

Be safe and well and if you have any Cap'n Crunch left after the storm. It keeps very well. Bring it up this summer.

The men and women of the Bangor Police Department are rooting for you. You got this.

We will be here!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I guess the Bangor police have a lot of time on their hands…

I lived in Bangor in 1973-74. When the little theatre company I worked for went broke, I got a job delivering pizzas. That was a lot of fun in January/February. ;)

Reactions: Menantico

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I guess the Bangor police have a lot of time on their hands…

I lived in Bangor in 1973-74. When the little theatre company I worked for went broke, I got a job delivering pizzas. That was a lot of fun in January/February. ;)

Did they make decent pizza in Maine?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Its white outside :eek: Hard to tell with the drifts, maybe 4-6 inches snowing heavily, rain/snow line is well offshore. The wind is a steady 40+ mph with gusts that make the house creak. Lights have flickered a couple of times. The dog loves it, but will have a wet belly for a while. Should be an interesting day. Hope all fair well. :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Things really aren't so bad down here. Walked around the yard with a ruler, basically there is 9" of snow with a few spots as deep as 10". 36 degrees now, has been snowing lightly on and off today, mixing with a little rain now at 36 degrees. Not much wind at the moment.

This is some really wet, heavy snow. While it might be tempting to play with my shiny new snowblower, it is staying inside. Just wouldn't be worth the effort. Not going to clear my 800 foot driveway unless my car can't go though it. ;) No problems there. Drove up and down a bunch of times and that cleared it just fine, compacting the snow into a thin slushy layer.

Was pleasantly surprised to see that my little road had been nicely cleared. If things don't get worse, I may venture out to the Wawa for a hoagie at dinnertime. :)

Hope everyone else is doing OK.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bamber is now, not sure, maybe a foot or more? This is my deck and I let my friend park out front since he's on a lagoon.

016snow.PNG

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am tired. I did my property twice and just finished my in-laws. Both girls helped me too. That is some heavy snow.