First Snow

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
expectedsnowfall.jpg

Looks like we might get a More then a dusting of snow on Saturday.Looks to be a mess.Have to wait and see

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I saw that, but I didn't want to be the first one to post it. Boyd gets very upset :D

The Perfect Storm II

590x451_10271443_severe1.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Fine with me, I don't have to go anywhere this weekend. :D But I was starting to think we'd make it all the way through October without frost. I don't think the low temperature dropped below 60 degrees last night here.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Can you believe we're here with this thread again? It's not even Halloween. It seems like yesterday I was posting in the "First Snow" thread.

Yep, earliest winter weather watch in NJ I can recall. Down here its looking to be a normal nor'easter with maybe some snow mixed in Saturday night, but the winds will be cranking. To the NW, they may get hammered. Forecasters are now saying 5-12" of heavy, wet stuff up around Hackettstown to Blairstown. The '91 storm was 20 years ago today.

400x266_10281759_snowmapafternoon.jpg

400x266_10281700_perfectstorm.jpg

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ 407 AM EDT SAT OCT 29 2011 ...AN EARLY SEASON WINTER STORM WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THE REGION... .LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING OFF THE NORTH CAROLINA COAST EARLY THIS MORNING WILL INTENSIFY AND TRACK UP THE COAST TODAY INTO THIS EVENING. THE STORM WILL PRODUCE A SWATH OF HEAVY WET...AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGING...SNOW TO A GOOD PORTION OF THE AREA NORTH AND WEST OF PHILADELPHIA. THE STORM IS EXPECTED PULL AWAY LATE THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT. THE HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS OF HEAVY WET SNOW SHOULD BE ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND ON NON-PAVED SURFACES. SNOW COULD COVER ALL COLD SURFACES IF THE SNOW FALLS HEAVILY ENOUGH...ESPECIALLY LATER TODAY AND THIS EVENING. NEW CASTLE-CECIL-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM- GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...ELKTON...NEW BRUNSWICK... FREEHOLD...TRENTON...PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...CAMDEN... CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA 407 AM EDT SAT OCT 29 2011 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 2 AM EDT SUNDAY... * ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 3 INCHES...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ON NON- PAVED SURFACES. * TIMING...RAIN THIS MORNING WILL BEGIN TO MIX WITH SNOW AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON. THE MIX IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE TO SNOW LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO TONIGHT. THE SNOW COULD FALL HEAVILY AT TIMES DURING THE EVENING HOURS. * IMPACTS...TRAVEL COULD BECOME SLICK ON SECONDARY ROADS LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...AS TEMPERATURES DROP CLOSER TO THE FREEZING MARK. IN ADDITION...THE HEAVY WET SNOW WILL STICK TO TREES AND POWER LINES. THIS COULD RESULT IN SOME POWER OUTAGES. * WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH. * TEMPERATURES...AROUND 40 THIS MORNING...BUT FALLING BACK INTO THE LOWER 30S LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. * VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO WELL UNDER A MILE AT TIMES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just rain here, temperature is about 45. This is what the NWS is forecasting for most of the pines...

This Afternoon: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 44. Breezy, with a east wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Tonight: Rain and snow, mainly before midnight. Low around 33. Windy, with a north wind between 23 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was just out at my car and it was all slushy. The car was, not the ground.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It is freezing rain here, the ground is crunchy. We took a drive into Wharton after having breakfast at the Shamong Diner. There are 4 tents at Batona Camp. Three of them appear to be with the Jeep Jamboree.
The Magic Bus has left. He was there for about 3 weeks and had an extensive camp. There were many long termers there this year.

I have a nice fire going.

Ed

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
My crossed fingers had very little effect. Ten minutes ago it went from a heavy rain and windy conditions to a quiet calm and heavy snow. It is sticking to everything but the road at the moment. If it keeps snowing like it is, by this evening, there will be several inches. The weather forecasters might get it right this time. There is atleast a half inch or more already.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It's mixed sleet and snow now. It is sticking. I can see trees and limbs coming down. Last night we had 1 1/4 inches of rain.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
There hasn't been a significant accumulation of snow since this afternoon, but the combination of snow and freezing rain is starting to take it's toll. The trees in the area still have most of their leaves and the added surface area for snow build up is causing branches to break and come in contact with power lines. The wind isn't helping either. Power was out for twenty minutes or so here. It just came back on. Ewing is much worse. Power has been out in certain sections for an hour already. This storm is going to make a mess.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
38 degrees here and it's still raining. My bargain digital rain gauge says 1.12 inches total, but I'm wondering if that's too low. I went out for a walk this afternoon and there was at least two inches of water in my wheelbarrow.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
38 degrees here and it's still raining. My bargain digital rain gauge says 1.12 inches total, but I'm wondering if that's too low. I went out for a walk this afternoon and there was at least two inches of water in my wheelbarrow.

What will you take in trade?:) Honestly, the snow doesn't bother me at all nor does the cold, windy conditions. I am not looking forward to dealing with the horrible drivers that reside in the area tomorrow.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It is being reported over 1.5 million are without power in NJ and the worst is still on its way. It seems the snow line has come a bit further SE than was forecasted.

Winds are on the way up and the temps on the way down, currently 10f, on Mt Washington. They are expecting winds topping 100mph overnight.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What will you take in trade?:) Honestly, the snow doesn't bother me at all nor does the cold, windy conditions. I am not looking forward to dealing with the horrible drivers that reside in the area tomorrow.

Gibby, do you live in a condo or apartment? Being a homeowner is not fun in ice and snow. I have to say that it bothers me, yes. If it was just 2 to 4 inches and no ice, that's well enough for me.