First Snow

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Bobpbx, I am a homeowner. I just don't worry about much, it's not in my nature. Think of me more as a merry prankster and that I try to be light hearted about a serious situation because I'm powerless to change it. I don't know why but I have always been this way.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The governor is telling us to stay off the roads. He is without electricity also.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We didn't have any snow at all down here. 35 degrees this morning, there's a thin layer of frost on my car but nothing on the grass or trees. Sun is out now, looks like it will be a nice day. :)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Overnight there was very little snow. There is maybe an inch and a half on the grass and cars and that is what accumulated early in the evening yesterday. Right now in Hamilton, there is black ice in spots on the roads and I saw a few fender benders on my way to the deli. I was hoping to get more snow than this because I wanted to go snowshoeing in October. Anyhoo, the sky is blue and it is going to be a nice day.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From an Accuweather forecaster.

People are asking why the early snow? I believe that the winter pattern of last year has not ended and now that the La Nina is starting to come on again, it would only make sense that we go right back into the winter storms. If you look at what happened this summer into the fall with the flooding, the only difference was that is was rain and not snow. This is going to be a long winter with hopefully a warm break at some point.

:eek:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
We were really lucky down here... I didn't realize how bad things were in Central and North Jersey. Some people won't have power all week. I drove all over the Southern part of the state yesterday and didn't see a speck of snow anywhere, but I did see a couple caravans of utility trucks headed North.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/10/utility_companies_jcpl_and_pse.html

As of 10 last night, 275,000 JCP&L and 260,000 PSE&G customers were without power, the utilities said.
JCP&L said 95 percent of its customers would have electricity by Thursday, the remainder by Friday.

PSE&G said it could "not be precise at this time" about when customers would have their power restored.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We were really lucky down here... I didn't realize how bad things were in Central and North Jersey. Some people won't have power all week.

I have seen some media reports stating 2-3 million without power in the northeast and several deaths attributed to the storm. Twas a cold night last night to be without power; been there, done that.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Snow or no snow, the big question here is was it cold enough to kill those dastardly Chiggers? Winslow area we haven't had a hard frost yet.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It just might be that my snowblower purchase is working :D

From AccuWeather's severe weather forecaster.

This to me is very interesting. Below is the SOI monthly values for 2010-2011. It shows that this time last year the SOI, which is the Southern Oscillation Index that gives you a strength of the El Nino/La Nina, values were very high compared to this year, which has values very low. That means the La Nina is not as strong as last year, and the implications may mean the warmth in the East could continue well through winter. We are planning on updating the winter forecast Dec. 1.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The forsythia's are blooming and the hibiscus is still setting flowers and they are all almost covered in what looks like 14 feet of autumns finest.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Updated winter forecast from Accuweather.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathercom-20112012-winter-1/58451

590x393_12010104_winterforecastupdate.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
NWS says chance of snow next Tuesday night. But with daytime highs still in the 40's and 50's, don't rush to the store just yet for bread and eggs. :D