First Trip to the Pines

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
Yesterday was the one of the day’s best I’ve ever had. I’ve lived all my life in South Jersey. Hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, canoeing….Never had been to the Pines. I don’t post much on here, I just sit back
And read the posts and all the fun everyone is having. Yesterday I grabbed my maps and GPS and
headed north to the Pines.
Never being there before and I don’t have a 4X4 so I was kind a Leary about some of the roads I traveled down,
But all was well. I did the Carranza Mem., Apple Pie Hill, (loved the Smashed Computer Monitor at the bottom of the Tower)...Kids… And Bear Swamp Hill. I did find the Landing Gear. And just by luck I found the “Charles Wills†Grave.
I figured by the time I got to Friendship I’d stop and get something cold to drink….yea right, All I got was a
4ton. Limit Bridge (jokes on me again). Oh well…. As Arnold would say I’ll be backâ€

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That's the area I started exploring when I first visited the Pine Barrens back in 1997.

Image16%20_Large_.jpg

That's my old 1989 Mercury Cougar at Friendship the first time I visited there. I drove up Iron Pipe Road in it. Didn't get stuck, although it felt like I would!