fishing??????

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Do you fly fish for them?

Either spin or fly, whatever I think might work for the conditions. :) I won't start looking for trout for a couple of weeks, a bit to early and crowded for me.

Some reasons from another site showing trout fishing in NE Jersey, looks like fun, doesn't it :rofl:

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

pickerelfisher

Apr 9, 2009
Forked River
46er,

Those pictures are not my idea of fun....
I took my son fishing for sunnies today after the rain stopped. Sometimes I forget how much fun sunny fishing can be (on ultra light gear).....especially when you get an unexpected black crappie on the line.
Back to pickerel fishing next week. I'll post updates.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er,

Those pictures are not my idea of fun....
I took my son fishing for sunnies today after the rain stopped. Sometimes I forget how much fun sunny fishing can be (on ultra light gear).....especially when you get an unexpected black crappie on the line.
Back to pickerel fishing next week. I'll post updates.

Thats how I learned and how both my sons learned to fish, sunnies. Where would we be without them. I can still vividly remember as a young'un digging worms at my grandparents place, then heading up to Lake Tiorati in Bear Mt SP NY and sitting on the boulder wall along the lake watching the sunnies circle my bait, then one would get hungry enough to dash in and take it. My grandmother would have a big slice of ice cold watermelon from their garden for me if I caught any :)

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Pickerelfisherman, A little late for my reply but here's where I go, I start at Chatsworth lake and the canal then i go outside of town heading towards oswego and I fish a small stream going under the road( part of the wading river) then i go to oswego lake, from there i stop at Harrisville lake then Evans bridge then batsto lake then home to Hammonton. Hammonton lake has also improved Greatly with the installation of aerators all along the lake . I've caught bass pike Crappie and Perch there.

pickerelfisher

Apr 9, 2009
Forked River
Thats how I learned and how both my sons learned to fish, sunnies. Where would we be without them. I can still vividly remember as a young'un digging worms at my grandparents place, then heading up to Lake Tiorati in Bear Mt SP NY and sitting on the boulder wall along the lake watching the sunnies circle my bait, then one would get hungry enough to dash in and take it. My grandmother would have a big slice of ice cold watermelon from their garden for me if I caught any :)

46er,

Those are the types of memories I hope my son's have about fishing (the youngest is still too little to go fishing). Thank you for the reply!

pickerelfisher

Apr 9, 2009
Forked River
Hey Pickerelfisherman, A little late for my reply but here's where I go, I start at Chatsworth lake and the canal then i go outside of town heading towards oswego and I fish a small stream going under the road( part of the wading river) then i go to oswego lake, from there i stop at Harrisville lake then Evans bridge then batsto lake then home to Hammonton. Hammonton lake has also improved Greatly with the installation of aerators all along the lake . I've caught bass pike Crappie and Perch there.

Tom M,

Thank you for the reply. I'm in Forked River so I usually fish the "northern" ponds of the Barrens. I was curious about Chatsworth because most people I talk to fish "old bogs on private land because their uncle knows someone". I'm looking for public spots so I appreciate your info. Thanks.

pickerelfisher

Apr 9, 2009
Forked River
Todays update...
Fished Colliers Mills for 1 hour and caught an 8" lm bass with a 3" floating rapala! I had 1 pickerel (@12") follow the lure to shore, but no strike. I caught the bass while I was jerking the lure in between a slow retrieve. I'm switching to a jointed floating rapala and will post updates. Happy fishing!

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Always Glad to help a Fellow Fisherman, Just so ya know , i already caught all the biggins and moved em to a difernt local! LOL!:rofl:

pickerelfisher

Apr 9, 2009
Forked River
LOL Tom M.....found some respectable sized pickerel at Stafford Forge today. 3 were around 18" and thick...also caught my share of little ones too.

I heard a guy in Manahawkin recently caught an 18 lb LM Bass off of the pickerel he had on his line. Anyone else hear the story?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Maybe if the pickerel was 8lbs. The state record for a largemouth is 10lbs14oz. They grow slowly up here and are at the end of their lifecycle at that weight.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I would believe the possibility of it being a Stripped Bass , they come up into fresh water and Pickerel can tolerate some Brackish water.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I heard a guy in Manahawkin recently caught an 18 lb LM Bass off of the pickerel he had on his line. Anyone else hear the story?

That would be one humungous largemouth for NJ, I'd have to see a picture to believe it. The world record is 22 lbs, a 25 pounder was oaught a couple of years ago, but did not meet record rules

pickerelfisher

Apr 9, 2009
Forked River
Hit Colliers Mills again on Friday. Lillies are starting to pop up everywhere so I may have to find a new spot soon ( I usually fish from the shore). I was talking to an "ol' timer" while I was fishing and he says the 1st lake gets mostly covered by lillies during the summer. (this is my 1st season fishing there) Caught a dozen pickerel (12" - 16"), 2 BIG sunnies, 2 lm bass (10" & 12") and a monster (for me) perch (16"). For the sunnies, bass & perch, I was using an origional floating black/white jointed rapala (#7 - 2 3/4"). Most strikes were during a pause with twitches. The pickerel were gobbling up killies.(I switched between killies & rapala's throughout the day) Since Feb. I've been averaging 3 fish/hour at this lake.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
nice report. friday evening, i fished the pond on the next road east of spring in Elm. got 3 crappies one being about 8" and the other 2 were smaller. caught em off of a smnall floating rapala

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Pickerel were you fishing in turnmill pond? A good amount of bass in that lake. All the bass I have caught in 20 some odd years there have all been smaller then 2.5 lbs, full of small ones, not many lunkers. Once the bass come off spawn try a jitter bug or a hula popper right at sun down or sun up the bass will kill them! The pickerel also love the jitter bug in chrome, use black once the sun goes down for bass.
Chris