Fix Our Parks

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Color me skeptical. Let's talk at such a high level with little detail that it impossible to disagree then cede power to this group to fix the high level problems with which "we cant disagree" - sounds like a great recipe to get the MAP they wanted last time. Especially considering some of the names associated with this movement. I don't know Mr. Juelg, and I have no reason to believe he has nothing but the best of intentions, but I'm not so sure how much agreement there will be once the discussion moves beyond the big picture and into solutions, especially considering he is a PPA alumnus. Just because there is agreement on most of the problems does not translate into agreement on the solutions, and if I know one thing, it is I do not want the group that tried to bring us the MAP last time fixing anything for me this time.
Clearly, #FixOurParks will be working with people who want to try and solve the problems. Those who choose to be skeptical or non-participants of any sort are entirely free to make their choices. But I'm ready to talk about specifics anytime, in case anyone wants to do that.

Reactions: NJCoastal

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Correct me if this statement is not a fact. Past efforts have been between those appointed into office and we the public, NOT between those elected to office and we the public. Elected officials have more skin in the game compared to those officials who are appointed. A new game plan is required to get out of this "no results" phase. IMHO let's regroup by: 1. information collection, 2. scope assessment, 3. new plan formulation, 4. new plan execution, then 5. conduct continuous follow-up. ;)
I think past efforts may have been primarily between appointed officials and the public, but probably not entirely. I do agree that we need to engage more with elected officials, and your regroup sequence. Our DEP Commissioner, Shawn LaTourette, has indicated that he thinks the illegal ORV issue can be addressed by (1) more public engagement, (2) map creation and adoption, (3) education, (4) a registration and permitting program, and (5) better law enforcement. Those are concepts that we have yet to see any action on, though there is some evidence that State Park Police have stepped up enforcement.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
NJ Bill A594 - Establishes NJ State Parks and Forests Foundation (link) (PRE-FILED FOR INTRODUCTION IN THE 2022 SESSION)

"2. a. There is established in the Department of Environmental Protection a nonprofit, educational, and charitable organization to be known as the New Jersey State Parks and Forests Foundation. The foundation shall be devoted to the raising of funds for the support, including maintenance and development, and promotion of New Jersey’s State parks and forests."
I'll have to double-check, but I think this bill has a fatal flaw, which is that all the people on the board of directors are supposed to be DEP officials or members of the public appointed by DEP officials. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that the DEP, which has steadfastly failed to take good actions that it already could be taking is somehow going to be the right entity to be in charge of such a foundation.

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
Russ, it sounds like they're following the model we use here in Pennsylvania (don't know if we originated it). The basic idea, as I heard it explained to me, was that our DCNR (=DEP) people anticipated funding cuts, more deferred maintenance, and so on, and wanted to set up a structure that could backfill some Parks and Forests needs with volunteers. It would act as a sort of "civilian auxiliary" to the paid State structure: the overall foundation sets some broad guidelines, but it's divided into chapters organized for individual parks or forests. The chapter officers are volunteers (the relevant park or forest superintendent is an ex officio board member). Typical activities are fundraising, maintenance or minor building projects, and nature/historical programming, in my experience.

My chapter is a little weird because we're attached to a state forest with some large, relatively primitive parcels, so a lot of our work is maintenance/ecological restoration. I assume any volunteer group attached to the Pinelands state forests would turn out in a similar way. It does let some things happen that would proably not get done by State people due to budget or time priorities (whether driven by lack of resources or maybe politics). I'm not sure this foundation is the right tool for the general problem being discussed here, but my general experience is that it's had a positive effect in letting people who are not State employees improve the condition of State lands.

(Hi, everyone, BTW. I've been lurking here for about 20 years before registering--yes, I remember the old forum software with the member galleries--and most of the botanists know me and can probably guess who I am from my avatar and my usual habitat on a different set of barrens to west'ard.)

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
I'll have to double-check, but I think this bill has a fatal flaw, which is that all the people on the board of directors are supposed to be DEP officials or members of the public appointed by DEP officials. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that the DEP, which has steadfastly failed to take good actions that it already could be taking is somehow going to be the right entity to be in charge of such a foundation.
"raising of funds" can be defined across an entire spectrum of possible actions. Can one possibility be a prelude to a portion of public land being sold to NGOs so that the proceeds can allow the increase in the state's funding of the public places experiencing high volumes and requiring additional resources? Until the methods of "raising of funds" can be clearly spelled out we need to remain suspicious. Your last sentence shown above is key.

Reactions: G. Russell Juelg

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
Russ, it sounds like they're following the model we use here in Pennsylvania (don't know if we originated it). The basic idea, as I heard it explained to me, was that our DCNR (=DEP) people anticipated funding cuts, more deferred maintenance, and so on, and wanted to set up a structure that could backfill some Parks and Forests needs with volunteers. It would act as a sort of "civilian auxiliary" to the paid State structure: the overall foundation sets some broad guidelines, but it's divided into chapters organized for individual parks or forests. The chapter officers are volunteers (the relevant park or forest superintendent is an ex officio board member). Typical activities are fundraising, maintenance or minor building projects, and nature/historical programming, in my experience.

My chapter is a little weird because we're attached to a state forest with some large, relatively primitive parcels, so a lot of our work is maintenance/ecological restoration. I assume any volunteer group attached to the Pinelands state forests would turn out in a similar way. It does let some things happen that would probably not get done by State people due to budget or time priorities (whether driven by lack of resources or maybe politics). I'm not sure this foundation is the right tool for the general problem being discussed here, but my general experience is that it's had a positive effect in letting people who are not State employees improve the condition of State lands.

(Hi, everyone, BTW. I've been lurking here for about 20 years before registering--yes, I remember the old forum software with the member galleries--and most of the botanists know me and can probably guess who I am from my avatar and my usual habitat on a different set of barrens to west'ard.)
Welcome! The model also similar to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and New York-New Jersey Trail Conference?

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
I think past efforts may have been primarily between appointed officials and the public, but probably not entirely. I do agree that we need to engage more with elected officials, and your regroup sequence. Our DEP Commissioner, Shawn LaTourette, has indicated that he thinks the illegal ORV issue can be addressed by (1) more public engagement, (2) map creation and adoption, (3) education, (4) a registration and permitting program, and (5) better law enforcement. Those are concepts that we have yet to see any action on, though there is some evidence that State Park Police have stepped up enforcement.
The “regroup” was inspired by our conversation we had on Sunday.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

My chapter is a little weird because we're attached to a state forest with some large, relatively primitive parcels, so a lot of our work is maintenance/ecological restoration. I assume any volunteer group attached to the Pinelands state forests would turn out in a similar way. It does let some things happen that would proably not get done by State people due to budget or time priorities (whether driven by lack of resources or maybe politics). I'm not sure this foundation is the right tool for the general problem being discussed here, but my general experience is that it's had a positive effect in letting people who are not State employees improve the condition of State lands.

I've always wanted to do maintenance for NJ where streams cross roadways, but when I asked, they said my group would need insurance. Does PA require Insurance for those wanting to participate in your state forests?

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
My personal action plan for information collection (once the daily high temperatures drop below 85F):

1. Adopt the USGS NJ Atsion quadrangle as the area to visit.
  2. Circle the coordinates of the locations requiring attention, then assign an identifier.
  3. Describe the type of attention required at the location by recording concise notes.
  4. Photograph the locations requiring attention.
  5. Package the findings with map, notes, and photos then present the findings at the public portion of an official meeting, along with providing a copy to the elected representative of the area.
  6. Conduct frequent inquiries until responses become available and/or the findings are resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: G. Russell Juelg

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
Good point @ecampbell, Freedom is lost either way. Freedom to share our concerns and freedom to visit our public land. I’ll focus on areas where major destruction is visible and the amount of trash to be removed requires the bed of a pickup truck. Who would want to visit those ruined areas anyway?

p.s., “• Provide an inventory and assessment of current recreation resources and identify needs and new opportunities for outdoor recreation improvements along with a crosswalk of how those issues overlap with SCORP principles and data;”.

I read the requirements for the 2024-2029 Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP) after I posted my personal action plan. Appears that they’re going to need this “inventory and assessment of current recreation resources” information as input for the final plan due in December 2023.

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Guy mentioned VT earlier in this thread. We spend a lot of time up there and are starting to know the area pretty well. VT does something that should be explored as an option here - they designate some old roads as Class 4, Unmaintained. Basically the road is left open to the public but the government doesn't have the cost/ responsibility of fixing it - its travel at your own risk. Obviously sensitive areas are off limits. My daughter and I have started exploring them on gravel bikes. Some of the roads are almost as good as the maintained roads, some are quite overgrown, others are almost completely washed out/rutted up with big puddles I avoid. At times a mountain bike would be much easier, but that is part of the fun. You can encounter a mix of users - motorcycles, trucks/jeeps, subarus, horseback riders and bicycles and it seems for the most part everyone sees these roads as a valuable public resource.

View attachment 17707
Declaring Class 4 roads would leave large areas of the Pinelands unpatrolled, and wide open to illegal ATV's and 4x4's that don't care about the roads, the forest, the streams and savannahs. Terrible idea.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Like this one! I made a bad decision and needed a tow. That's right near the Carranza memorial, I was showing a friend the old Jersey Central line and missed the go-around.

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_200559.jpg
    IMG_20220719_200559.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 80

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
"On or before September 1, 2020, the Department of Environmental Protection shall issue a solicitation to engage the private for-profit and non-profit sector in reducing maintenance and capital investment backlog and environmental remediation at state parks in order to facilitate enhanced cultural, recreational and local economic opportunities for New Jersey residents through appropriate means including leaseholds."

NJ Bill A3 Session 2020 - 2021

42 DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

40 Community Development and Environmental Management

42 Natural Resource Management
See page 95, line 46 on attached file.

Attachments

• P.L.2020, c43.PDF
    640.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
NJ DEP Bids (curious about the bids for Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreational Plan due July 19, 2022)

1658341750943.png

"This Solicitation is issued by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. The purpose of this request is to petition quotes for planning assistance, plan development and the public survey and polling necessary to update the 2024-2029 Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP). Formal title will be “Outside, Together! - A Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan for New Jersey.” The planning services required within this solicitation include:

• Evaluate demographic changes over the last five years as they relate to outdoor recreation and conservation as well as perform outdoor recreation trend analysis;

• Conduct review of state and national outdoor recreation data and reports associated with issues and prevailing trends, challenges, case studies and opportunities surrounding outdoor recreation and open space protection and planning;

• Provide an inventory and assessment of current recreation resources and identify needs and new opportunities for outdoor recreation improvements along with a crosswalk of how those issues overlap with SCORP principles and data;

• Create and execute an outdoor recreation stakeholder/user survey;

• Create and execute targeted polling to reach subgroups of major ethnic /racial groups: Whites, African-American/Black, Latino and Asian-Americans and individuals with Limited English proficiency as identified in the US Census to ensure that their input, needs and opinions are captured in SCORP resource evaluations, planning and goal setting; and

• Prepare draft/preliminary 2024-2029 Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan."

Attachments

• rfp-scorp-2024-2029.pdf
    484 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

NJCoastal

Scout
Oct 19, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
NJ Outside Together! New Jersey’s Statewide Comprehensive Outdoors Recreation Plan

"On April 22, 2022, Commissioner LaTourette signed Administrative Order 2022-12 establishing the creation of an Advisory Committee that will guide the development of New Jersey’s Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan and its recommendations. Updated every five years, the Plan identifies statewide recreation needs and opportunities and sets forth a program to implement measures to address them. The next update is due December 2023 to the National Park Service (NPS) to continue New Jersey’s eligibility for federal grants, such as the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF).

While much progress has been made through past plans, DEP is committed to building on its past success and elevating our outdoor recreation and conservation planning efforts. To achieve this, the State of New Jersey requires a more sophisticated Plan with original data that can serve as both a vision statement and guidance document for outdoor recreation and conservation endeavors.

This five-year Plan, known as Outside, Together! will reflect deep public and stakeholder engagement. We will involve individuals with diverse voices, experiences and viewpoints who will engage with DEP and its professionals to advance environmental, social, and economic goals. Additionally, this outreach effort will inform new funding policies and acquisition prioritization used by DEP programs: Green Acres, Fish and Wildlife, and Parks, Forestry & Historic Sites."

NJDEP Administrative Order 2022-12 Page 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 (see attached file ao2022-12.pdf)

"5. The Advisory Committee shall:

a. Be formed by the Chair within 60 days of the date of this order, comprised of individuals and subcommittees as directed herein;

b. Convene for the first time within 90 days of the date of this order and, thereafter, at frequent intervals as the Chair may determine to present, consider, and advance the development of Outside, Together! as directed herein;

c. Contract with an appropriate consulting firm to assist DEP in the development of Outside, Together! through data collection and analysis, as well as the production of outreach and other materials as may be directed by the Chair;

d. Immediately engage with stakeholders and the public through a series of ongoing outreach and engagement sessions intended to cultivate public awareness and ensure a full and adequate appraisal of New Jerseyans needs;

e. Provide multiple paths for stakeholders and the public to participate and inform development of Outside, Together!, such as surveys, polling, community engagement sessions, and focus group conversations;

f. Create or aggregate inventories and assessments of current recreation resources and identify needs and new opportunities for outdoor recreation improvements;

g. Create recommended policies, benchmarks, and actions to ensure fairer and more equitable distribution of outdoor recreation and conservation funds and resources;

h. Present the preliminary draft of Outside, Together! to the Commissioner for review no later than April 22, 2023; and,

i. Finalize Outside, Together! by or before of December 2023 for its ultimate submission to the National Park Service."

Attachments

• ao2022-12.pdf
    160.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Like this one! I made a bad decision and needed a tow. That's right near the Carranza memorial, I was showing a friend the old Jersey Central line and missed the go-around.
How did you miss the go around? Eyes closed? :D

Reactions: TommyP