Flood paddle

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
On Monday, December 28th, I decided to take an adventurous paddle on the Mullica and some of its tributaries while the water level was still very high. I knew that this would be a dangerous trip, and that capsizing would be likely to occur if I wasn't careful. I recalled the time several Januaries ago when my kayak capsized and I took a spill into the frigid, fast-flowing water. What happened is that I got lodged against a fallen tree, and my boat was stuck perpendicular to the strong flow of the river. Not good! Within a few seconds, my boat took on water and I fast fell into the drink. Luckily, I was near the shore and was able to quickly climb onto dry ground where I changed into the dry clothes that I had stored in my dry bag. I reassured myself that I would not let this happen this time around, and that the trip would only be as dangerous If was careless.

I started the trip at the Pleasant Mills Church where I drug my kayak through the woods to the canal that runs from Nescochague Lake (Pleasant Mills Pond) to Nescochague Creek. I dropped my boat in the water and headed towards Nescohague Creek:

DSC01964.JPG

Within minutes, I arrived at the creek and began exploring the swollen swamps of the Nescochague. It was but several minutes before my nightmare came true. I was floating downstream with the swift current, using my paddle to slow my pace for purposes of safety. Just ahead of me were numerous fallen trees, and I opted to try to pass through a narrow passageway between a maple tree to my left and a fallen cedar to my right. "Be careful," I said to myself. I tried to go through the narrow passageway straight-on, but the current pulled my boat so that I was headed at it diagonally. As I approached, I realized that I was in trouble, but I could not put the breaks on. Within seconds, my kayak got wedged against the two trees. As had happened during the accident I had several years ago, my boat was stuck perpendicular to the stream flow. The water started coming into my kayak and I felt my body being pulled towards the water. Using all my might, I grasped onto the trunk of the maple and pulled myself up. Now I was standing in the kayak, hugging the tree. My nerves were in full throttle, and my knees were quivering violently. I tried to calm myself, but I could not regain control of my nerves. I knew that my shaking legs would betray me and that I would take a spill.

I looked around for high ground, but there was none in sight. It would be a long, cold swim through the floodplain. My heart was racing as I tried to figure out some way to free my boat. To my dismay, I quickly came to terms with the fact that the water was just too strong, and that I would not be able to pull the kayak free. I had little room to move my body, and the slightest move could have compromised the delicate balance that I acheived. Suddenly, the water was pulling my paddle down under. I reached down and pulled it up, only to lose my balance momentarily. Water started pouring into my boat again, but I was able to regain balance and so avoided the spill.

For the next five minutes, I weighed my options as I stood in my kayak with my arms clung to the tree. My arms were getting really tired by this point, and I knew that I couldn't hold on much longer. I braced myself for the spill, and tried to psyche myself up for it. My plan was to jump in with my dry bag in one hand, and to yell and scream in order to get my adrenaline rushing at full speed. But I was too scared to jump in. I didn't want to experience hypothermia, afterall. So I decided to try the only option I had. I turned myself around and studied the situation one last time. I figured that there was a small chance I might succeed, but there was simply no other way. I took a deep breath and went for it. I hopped backwards into my seat with enough force to give the boat some momentum in the direction away from the trees. I don't know how, but it worked! I was a very, very lucky man. I narrowly escaped what should have been a disaster. As I got back into safety, I just started shouting in ecstasy. I said my Hallelujahs and cracked open a beer to calm my nerves. Now it was time to have fun again.

As I approached West Mill fire Rd., I found that it was completely flooded over. The road had become a river:

0772.JPG

When I got to the confluence with Atsion Creek, I decided to paddle upstream. I made my way through the swollen swamps of cedar:

0901.JPG

Even the foot trails were flooded:

085.JPG

0781.JPG

I couldn't resist:

0791.JPG

A sumberged sign on the trail:

0861.JPG

After exploring the Mechescatauxin for a bit, I headed back down Atsion Creek.

The canoe launch at Pleasant Mills was completely under water:

0961.JPG

Yikes!

1041.JPG

Ouch!

106.JPG

I had alot of fun out there that day. I took my time and spent six hours exploring. Can't wait to do it again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow! That was a nice trip. I loved the fact you went across the foot bridge :)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I knew you'd say that, Bob. Will you join me next time?

I don't think so Gabe. You know me by now. I have a fear of water in some situations, and that is definitely one of them. If you got pulled under you could have been trapped under a tree or the bank of the creek. The water would hold you there until your life expired.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Wow, glad you made it out of there alive, Gabe. Amazing how flooded it was. Riding on that foot bridge in your kayak was very cool. Many years from now you'll be walking over that footbridge and you'll be able to say, "hey, I kayaked over this once".

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Wow, glad you made it out of there alive, Gabe. Amazing how flooded it was. Riding on that foot bridge in your kayak was very cool. Many years from now you'll be walking over that footbridge and you'll be able to say, "hey, I kayaked over this once". Jeff

Jeff, I was thinking this morning that the one guy I know that would go with Gabe would be you.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Gabe,

Do you wear a spray skirt?can you roll? my roll is shaky but i always wear a spray skirt and this time of year I'd have on neoprene boots and gloves.the water always runs down the paddle and across my hands and freezes them so the boots are a must.
I would say that winter flood paddling shouldn't be done alone but I've done it myself and still do occasionally in the marsh which is much safer then during flood in a swamp.was spilled once in winter on mount misery brook but that wasn't an accident,it was an immature red assin little buddy of mine playing pranks and he ended up soaking himself to the neck while i escaped with only a soaking to the hips.thought the little sob was gonna die before i got him back to the truck of hypothermia.he was so cold he couldn't paddle.could barely maintain an upright posture in the canoe seat.begged me to stop at a house to get warm.i was so mad at him i made him ride it out.coulda killed him but he was purposely pulling on a limb as i was getting in the stern and he was in the bow.trying to make me fall in.well it worked but i was in hip deep water and he was over his head.I told him to shut up and quit whining,he did it to himself.yes were still friends but i don't take him canoeing anymore.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Great report and that is the biggest strainer I've ever seen. :D Had a similar incident when I was involved with the Scouts and we took our troop down the Toms. One pair of scouts missed the take out and continued down river. 2 of us went after them and found them in a similar situation as you; their canoe had wedged sideways between 2 stumps mid-river and rolled, dumping them. They were standing on the stumps and the force of the water was too much for them to move the boat. We talked them out of it and they followed us down to RT 37 where we were met. A couple of wet and cold kids that learned a valuable lesson, they did not get their badges this time around. I hope you told someone where you were going, just in case they had to go retrieve the body :)

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Wow, that sounds like a pretty crazy trip Gabe! Glad you made it out of there. With the water that high, I'm sure it was pretty crazy going through some of those tight spots. And I'm sure that water was really cold! I kayaked across a small section of the Great Bay one time in early January. I did it in a wetsuit with booties, gloves the whole 9 but it is scary being so different kayaking in cold water. It can be a long walk out of the woods with nothing to light a fire to dry off though. At least you got some really cool looking pics though and I'm sure that's a trip you'll never forget! Thanks for sharing.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Wow, that sounds like a pretty crazy trip Gabe! Glad you made it out of there. With the water that high, I'm sure it was pretty crazy going through some of those tight spots. And I'm sure that water was really cold! I kayaked across a small section of the Great Bay one time in early January. I did it in a wetsuit with booties, gloves the whole 9 but it is scary being so different kayaking in cold water. It can be a long walk out of the woods with nothing to light a fire to dry off though. At least you got some really cool looking pics though and I'm sure that's a trip you'll never forget! Thanks for sharing.

I intended to bring my wet suit, but of course I forgot. I had second thoughts about going, but they quickly went away. A wet suit is a must.