Flood paddle

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I haven't read far enough to know if Bob has that specific fear, but I have a variation on it. I have always been afraid of water works: water flowing over a dam, through a culvert, hydro stations, etc. It's wierd, because even when I know I'm completely safe they scare the heck out of me.

Me too Mark. Exactly! Another instance that put the fear into me was a visit to some sort of dam and waterworks on the Savannah River in Georgia when I was about 5. That water far below tumbling and churning, angrily entering or exiting piping made me shudder. When I get near a water works, or a strong flow at a culvert, or hydro dam, I involuntarily shudder.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Me too Mark. Exactly! Another instance that put the fear into me was a visit to some sort of dam and waterworks on the Savannah River in Georgia when I was about 5. That water far below tumbling and churning, angrily entering or exiting piping made me shudder. When I get near a water works, or a strong flow at a culvert, or hydro dam, I involuntarily shudder.

Mine probably stems back to some early experience too, although if so I've forgotten it. I visited Niagara with my family when I was really young. That could certainly have done it. What with the falls, the whirlpool, the hydro canal (a 100' deep slot through solid bedrock that runs for five or six miles and carries flow to a hydro plant) Niagara is the Mt. Rushmore of water works phobias :).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mine probably stems back to some early experience too, although if so I've forgotten it. I visited Niagara with my family when I was really young. That could certainly have done it. What with the falls, the whirlpool, the hydro canal (a 100' deep slot through solid bedrock that runs for five or six miles and carries flow to a hydro plant) Niagara is the Mt. Rushmore of water works phobias :).

I went down to the river after the falls. Awesome power, wasn't it? I just knew if anybody fell off that boardwalk they'd be dead, never mind scared.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I went down to the river after the falls. Awesome power, wasn't it? I just knew if anybody fell off that boardwalk they'd be dead, never mind scared.

Yeah, awesome almost isn't enough of a word. I took my own kids there a few years back and they really enjoyed it. We took the tunnel tour behind the falls, and the ride on the Maid of the Mist. The cable-car over the whirlpool was closed due to wind, which I sort of didn't mind. It was on that trip that I heard the story of Roger Woodward, which I am still amazed by...

http://www.infoniagara.com/history/rogerwoodward_miracle.aspx

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I still remember this story being on the news and that 2 men from NJ saved the kids.

They saved the sister when she was about six feet from the edge. The first NJ guy climbed over the rail and literally just hooked her thumb. He thought he was going to lose her so he shouted and NJ guy #2 climbed over and grabbed her wrist. The boy went over and was picked up by the Maid of the Mist. That's reall cohones, man. I jumped into the Delaware at Penn's Landing in January once to pull a drowning drunk out, but I don't know if I could climb over that rail at Niagara.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
They saved the sister when she was about six feet from the edge. The first NJ guy climbed over the rail and literally just hooked her thumb. He thought he was going to lose her so he shouted and NJ guy #2 climbed over and grabbed her wrist. The boy went over and was picked up by the Maid of the Mist. That's reall cohones, man. I jumped into the Delaware at Penn's Landing in January once to pull a drowning drunk out, but I don't know if I could climb over that rail at Niagara.

I got a general feeling of uneasiness while walking along the rail just before the falls. I have been on that boardwalk downriver from the falls and witnessed that raging madness of a river. Damn.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you notice the name who submitted it? It is a relative for sure. He works or worked for the USGS.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I looked on the arial from 1930. They had literally stripped the lower part of the Oswego of trees (cedars and pines apparently)...which would have contributed to massive runoff.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I still have not made my "Then And Now" of the Harrisville Dam, so I am not posting the complete photo until I do. It is interesting to note that those wooden guardrails were still there when I fist visited there in 1973. I believe by 1975 they started construction on the new dam and removed them. But not before I was able to get one photo that shows it.

harrisville.jpg

The next time I am at the dam I will get my "Now" photo and get this posted.

Guy