For the railfans (Not PB related)

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Today I decided to talk a walk along the freight line which runs past about a mile from my house. As a kid I never knew much about it besides the fact that the crossing was located close by and once in a great while you'd get stuck when a train would pass. I also remember hearing the low moan of the horn at night if it was late and I couldn't sleep. For those of you familiar with the Hamilton/Bordentown area, the line comes up out of Bordentown and parallels Route 130 (or rather Route 130 parallels it) until just past East Windsor where most of the trackage has been torn up/paved over. South of this point, however, there are still some industries with sidings and/or spurs that depend heavily on rail service such as Agway, Yardville Concrete, Clayton Block, Sun Chemical, etc...

I stumbled upon another forum one day called www.railroad.net and started poking around in the New Jersey forums. Just an FYI there is lots of information about the various lines which crisscross the pinelands. Anyway, I found out that my "home line" which now known as the Robbinsville Industrial Line, operated by CSX, was actually part of the Camden and Amboy Railroad! The C&A was chartered in 1832 and started in Camden, running up the river to Bordentown, where it turned inland and ran northeast through Yardville (then called Sandtown), Robbinsville, East Windsor, Cranbury, Hightstown, etc...all the way to South Amboy. In fact, the John Bull, one of the first steam locomotives in the U.S., was built for the C&A.

It's pretty cool to have that kind of history in your backyard, but a little disappointing in a way as well. There's nothing really commemorating the fact that the beat up old freight tracks carry so much history, and the line itself is in bad shape in some spots along even the active part. Plus tractor-trailers threaten to take some of the business away from it as well. Right now freight trains only operate from midnight to 6 AM as it is since south of Bordentown the trackage is shared with NJ Transit for the River Line which travels the C&A right of way down to Camden. There's also been some talk of restoring the trackage all the way out to South Amboy once again, linking up with the Jersey Coast Line and/or the proposed Monmouth Ocean Line and running light rail between Trenton/Bordentown and points east. Sounds like a good idea to me not only for history's sake, but for the roads as well!

Looking northeast near Clayton Block's siding

Southwest toward Bordentown

Bridge over the mighty Crosswicks Creek

Steep drop to the water below

Looking west

And now east

Crosstie deterioration

The section of the line explored

All in all it was a very nice walk. If not for the drone from Route 130 and the evidence of partying/graffiti at the bridge, it was almost like being in a different time. Just walking through the woods with nothing but a railroad track as a sign of man's presence. It's a shame that the rails are such bad shape though. Now I know why the freight trains travel as slowly as they do. It would more than likely take a lot of rehabilitation to turn it into a light rail line, but a guy can dream right?

rlargey

Mar 28, 2007
Camden and Amboy Railroad

Thanks for a great post, Badfish. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Camden and Amboy also had the first train accident in the US. I don't know if a boiler blew or a rod broke but one person was reported killed. On the train at the time was former President John Quincy Adams. Does anyone have any further details about this event?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Funny you should mention it. I don't really know much about it, but I was Googling the C&A for info and found a print of a pencil drawing entitled "Wreck on the Camden and Amboy Railroad Near Burlington." According to the description of the print, 21 were killed and 75 were injured. No mention of the date, but it looked to be of about Quincy Adams' vintage. If it's true, yet another reason to restore it to greatness!

rlargey

Mar 28, 2007
Camden and Amboy Railroad

From Wikipedia:

Adams was the first president to be involved in a railroad accident. He was a passenger on a Camden & Amboy train that derailed in the meadows near Hightstown, New Jersey on November 11, 1833. His coach was the one ahead of the first car to derail. He was uninjured and continued his journey to Washington the following day.[3]

Funny you should mention it. I don't really know much about it, but I was Googling the C&A for info and found a print of a pencil drawing entitled "Wreck on the Camden and Amboy Railroad Near Burlington." According to the description of the print, 21 were killed and 75 were injured. No mention of the date, but it looked to be of about Quincy Adams' vintage. If it's true, yet another reason to restore it to greatness!

Badfish:

The 29 August 1855 Camden & Amboy wreck just north of Burlington proved to be the worst disaster of the company's checkered history. The down train was running late and the up train from Camden was operating on "smoke signals," i.e., when he saw the smoke from an opposing train, he backed to the nearest siding to clear the single-track mainline. In this case, the siding he backed into crossed the Columbus Road. A deaf physician in his carriage approached the siding and did not hear the train backing up. As he started over the crossing, the horse bolted and the rear car struck his horse and carriage, killing the horse and derailing the rear car. The engineer, unaware that the rear car had derailed, continued his reverse move, with all of the cars following the first derailed car. The wreck actually killed 23 people and injured 75. Miraculously, the doctor and his two passengers survived the wreck unscathed!

The wreck greatly emboldened the Camden & Amboy's legion of critics and the pamphleteers pushed the railroad hard to reform its safety record, which it finally did just a few years before the Pennsylvania Railroad leased the Camden & Amboy and all of its subsidiaries.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

From Wikipedia:

Adams was the first president to be involved in a railroad accident. He was a passenger on a Camden & Amboy train that derailed in the meadows near Hightstown, New Jersey on November 11, 1833. His coach was the one ahead of the first car to derail. He was uninjured and continued his journey to Washington the following day.[3]

rlargley:

Two years earlier, the wife of Prince Murat, Napoleon's nephew, became the first known woman to ride on a train in the nation. On 12 November 1831, Robert Stevens invited many dignataries to view the first public movement of the John Bull under steam. A headstrong woman, she jumped on board the car attached to the locomotive, determined to be the first woman to ride behind a steam engine.

Best regards,
Jerseyman