Forked River Mountain Annual Cleanup

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Next Sunday, on 4/19, the cleanup will target the area the behind Bamber locally known as old Carusoville. There are two other areas targeted as well. We seem to have enough hands this year, as a boys academy is coming to help with 26 live souls.

However, Guy is coming with Jessica and Ben may come as well. Their task will be to pick up every tire they find in and around Carusoville. I think there may be as much as a hundred scattered over an area maybe 500 yards square. We are going to leave the bulk of the trash for next year.

We need another person with a truck that is able to get into these areas so Ben, Guy, and Jessica can load it up with tires for transfer to the dumpster. You'll pitch in at times too, a couple are big truck tires. Need not be four wheel drive at all.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Crap dude!!!
Too short a notice or you know I'd be there!
I enjoyed helping out last year and the YETI truck made for some fun.
I've plans with the boys that day. I wish you the best and I can say, if last year was any indicator... Guy and Jess really buckle down and do a lot of work!

g.

Thanks anyway George!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
We need another person with a truck that is able to get into these areas so Ben, Guy, and Jessica can load it up with tires for transfer to the dumpster. You'll pitch in at times too, a couple are big truck tires. Need not be four wheel drive at all.

Bob,
You can count on my red F-350 to be there with Dottie riding shotgun. I could carry more people in the other truck but I don't want to pull the tool box.
Email me with the finer details.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, You can count on my red F-350 to be there with Dottie riding shotgun. I could carry more people in the other truck but I don't want to pull the tool box. Email me with the finer details. Scott

That is great news Scott. You'll finally get to the top of Forked River Mountain, and your help is greatly appreciated.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I wish I could make it this year for the clean up. Looks like I have to work sat. and sun. this week and my truck is in the shop with broken spider gears and will not be done untill monday. With any luck things will change.

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Sorry I'm going to miss it...sporting activities and birthday parties for the kids.

It was real nice doing the cleanup last year and was so hoping to make it an annual ritual. Guess I blew that on the second year.

Be sure to take pics of your FRTM (Forked River Tire Mountain) so we may commend you on a job well done.

Jeff

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I normally work this event as part of the Wells Mills crew. Unfortunately it will be the first one I've missed in the last 12 years. I have a baptism in north jersey to attend. I'd rather be at the clean-up than sitting around in a stuffy suit, but it is the Italian half of my family and you know what happened to those who weren't at the baptism in that famous movie!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Actually, I will be bowing out this year. Spending time with my daughter.

No sweat my Pine Barren Brother. Your help in scouting and mapping out these locations with me in March was invaluable. Time with your children is precious. As I look back, those days with my children were the happiest times of my life. Feel free to come up on the mountain anyway for hot dogs after, like 12:00 to 1:30. I'd like to meet her. If you can't make it, then we'll see you some other time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So they are having the food on the mountain? Last year they met at Wells Mills Park and had the food there if I remember correctly.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The meeting location alternates between Wells Mills and the Lacey Municipal building, depending on what part of the tract is being cleaned that year, but lunch is always on the mountain. Grilled tubes of meat by-products, but very yummy after a morning of hard work!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today was the Forked River Mountain Clean-up, so Scott and his wife Dot, along with Ben, Jessica, and I, helped out Bob in the hopes of keeping that area as clean as possible. Our main job at first was tires located at Carusoville.

Ben and Scott loading up, with Dot heading off for more.

IMG_1480.JPG

Dot noticed that there still are Christmas light in a tree located in the former development. If this is true, one can imagine them putting them there not knowing that in good time they would be forced out of their homes because their septic system was polluting the waterway nearby.

IMG_1478.JPG

Jessica on the fast track to nowhere. She was hoping that tire would fit. I think Dot took the tires off, she seems to be laughing a little too hard.

IMG_1481.JPG

With the tire operation complete we turned to a fence.

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

...."lo and behold we came upon a discarded light beer case, Scott said wouldn't that be great if there were some full ones in there, one was left inside, that beer went down quick, it was on the cold side."

IMG_1484.JPG

...."lo and behold we came upon a discarded Coors beer case, Scott said wouldn't that be great if there were some full ones in there, one was left inside, that beer went down quick, it was on the cold side."

IMG_1485.JPG

Then to Webbs Mill where the students from Ft Dix had done a great job of cleaning up. We collected the rest and watched the front end loader from the sand company deposit them in the dumpster that 46er mentioned in his post concerning the trash at Webbs Mill.

IMG_1486.JPG

A small portion of the trash from that area.

IMG_1489.JPG

Then to the mountain for lunch. Here is Ben and daughter Dana, along with Jessica enjoying the rest. Ben, sorry about the dirt on your moms Jeep door. I should have taken off my gloves.

IMG_1493.JPG

My optical zoom at maxium showing the hangers at Lakehurst.

IMG_1494.JPG

And the digital zoom at maxium. Quite blurry.

IMG_1495.JPG

...."lo and behold Bob came upon a discarded Heineken case, Bob said wouldn't that be great if there were some full ones in there, one was left inside, that beer went down quick, it was on the cold side."

IMG_1496.JPG

And finally, a video of the front end loader trying to get the trash into the dumpster. I think there may have been a full beer in there somewhere.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04192009/trash.mov

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It felt really good to help Bob and the Coalition and I had the opportunity to see a unique area of the pines.

Sadly, the remoteness of the area adds to the attraction for the midnight dumper.
Even more sad was the phone call that Bob got at around 4 this afternoon from one of his members informing us that someone had already dumped a load of stockade fence in Dover road!

The company was great today and the unopened beers were a truly a bonus find.
Thanks To Jim U. for his piney insight into this little tapped resource.
I poured the Keystone Light on the ground where it and polluted the Cohansey.
The Coors Regular took a little lid decontamination first but since it wasn't a light, I popped it slugged it down pronto.
I will never look at a discarded 30 pack container the same again.

Scott