Forked River Mountain / East Mountain

Wolfy6688

Oct 10, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that I'm in the right forum for this.

I'm trying to find out how to get to the trail up East Mountain, the taller of the Forked River Mountains. I've seen pictures, so I know that there is a trail - but can't find any information on where to go to access it!

I've tried emailing the Forked River Mountain Coalition, but the email was returned, saying there was a permanent error.

I've tried calling Wells Mills County Park - since they have the huge billboard of information, I thought that they'd know how to access the trail, but they didn't know what I was talking about.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at reading topographical maps. I also don't have a 4x4 vehicle, so I'm hoping that it's accessible by regular automobile.

I really appreciate any information that you could give me!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
First, I have to tell you that the mountain is actually private property even though everyone goes there all the time. I figured I would tell you this before you go. Before the rain it was quite easy to get there in a car, but now that it has rained I would be very careful going there. With that said, you can at least try to drive as close as possible and walk the rest of the way on foot. Wear boots that you don't mind getting muddy. Depending on where you live you may want to try different access points, but the most popular way is to access the road to it from 539 at the 16.5 milepost. You really should learn how to read a map before you go out there. If you don't have a GPS how will you know you are on the right road or at the right location without a map, and you need to know how to read it.

I would suggest you do a little homework and look Ben's map over at the below link and plan your route from the location I have marked. Switch back and forth to the topo and you will find the way there. The Forked River Mountain Coalition is not in the business of giving directions and I doubt they will answer. And Wells Mills Park is part of the state and even if they knew I doubt they would tell you how to access private property.

Enter here. Look this map over closely it may save you a lot of headaches.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.83609097797199&lng=-74.37993049621582&z=14&type=nj1995&gpx=

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And be warned many of the access points along Lacey Road are gated off since much of the area is private. So trying to access it from there is hard to do, and even where you find a way in that area is not safe for a non 4x4 vehicle. Be very careful.

Guy

Wolfy6688

Oct 10, 2010
Thank you for such a quick reply. I wasn't in a rush to get there, so the recent rain won't be an issue.

Also, I do know how to read maps - just not topographical maps. Not making excuses, but I'm a girl in my 20's, and went to college in Baltimore. I'd have had no real place to learn how to read that type...

Thanks for the link to the map and the explanation.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Most of the staff at Wells Mills do know how to get to the mountain but there are a couple who do not (including the ones covering the desk this weekend). Of those who do know, they have been instructed not to give directions for the reasons already discussed. Unfortunately, liability has become priority number one these days. The park cannot be responsible for either directing people to private property or for having them get lost. Topo maps do not require any particular skill or experience to read and anyone who can’t follow one really shouldn’t be venturing that far offroad. Even if you don’t get lost, imagine breaking down or getting stuck and trying to give directions to your rescuers over the phone. Once you access and understand topo maps, you should have no problem finding the mountains on your own.

Wolfy6688

Oct 10, 2010
First of all, I didn't realize it was privately owned until I came to this site. How would I have known? There are sites all over discussing hiking it. Not to mention, there are threads on here with posts by long time members - who have posted over thousands of posts - who also say that they forgot it was privately owned. If I had known that, I wouldn't expect the Wells Mills staff or anyone else to give access.

Secondly, I think topo maps DO require skill or experience to read. I'm not talking about satellite maps; the specific issue is contour lines. I know that they indicate elevation change, but really, if you don't know how to read one, how else would you learn? If it was such a simple matter, they wouldn't have courses taught to the military, even our local Fort Dix, how to read topographic maps.

If I knew that it would be such an issue just asking for help or information, I never would have bothered.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I was simply stating one of the reasons the staff at Wells Mills do not give out directions as a matter of policy. No one is blaming you for asking. And finding sites with a topo map really isn’t a special skill. Topo maps merely show all the sand or dirt roads that road maps do not. You follow those roads the same way you follow paved ones on a road map. You locate your destination (the mountain is clearly marked on most topos) and you identify the right and left turns that get you there. The contour lines can pretty much be ignored unless you are hiking through the woods, although contours can be used for landmarks while you are driving. But don't be intimidated by the countour lines or any other feature of topografic maps. The fact that there are courses out there on how to read them does not mean that it is all that complicated. I'd venture that most people that use them are self-taught.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
If I knew that it would be such an issue just asking for help or information, I never would have bothered.

Geeesh, save the attitude. You asked for information and people kindly responded with timely, accurate, and helpful information.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=317C90F056A06D42
this may help.
I'll be glad to answer any question you might have to get at least a basic knowledge of how to read a map and compass.GPS makes things much easier but requires learning a lot more and can leave you in quite a bind if you run out of batteries or lose your reading.Good map and compass skills are a good fall back and learning how to get direction from natural phenomenon such as the sun,moon and stars or the shapes of trees is not a bad idea either.The barrens are exceedingly easy to get lost in.managed a couple times myself...well lets not use the lost word,I was a might confused for several hours:)
Al

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Over the course of several years I drove around in circles trying to find Forked River Mountain myself. I had good topo maps and know how to read them, but it's pretty confusing around there! I didn't find it until I got a GPS, around 1996 I think.

Do you have a Garmin GPS in your car? If so, download my map of NJ: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

It should help you find the mountain (which is marked on the map) and it will show you all the little roads. Aside from that, it's a good way to learn how to understand topo maps since you will see your position and can compare what you see outside the window with what you see on the GPS screen. If you don't have a GPS, the nuvi 205 is cheap and works well with my map. This would be primarily for automotive use, but could also work on short hikes. For a more serious outdoor/hiking unit, look at the Garmin Oregon or Dakota series.

Regarding elevation contours ("topo lines"), for the most part they will be irrelevant in the pines because everything is so flat. Where else could you find a 200 foot "mountain"? :) But having said that, I used a 5 foot contour interval for my map of NJ. This shows all the little hills and valleys with much more detail than you will find on most other maps.

I think a number of people have gone out of their way to give you good advice here, so just get out and enjoy yourself. The search is 90% of the fun anyway. Read Father Beck's account of his search for Forked River Mountain back in the 1930's (chapter XLIV in "More Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey"). You will then see there's a long tradition of people searching for "the mountain". :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
a verbal description may help you.
if you go in where Guy stated above at the 16.5 mile marker and proceed east(thats right headed toward Whiting,left headed toward route 72) 2.2 mi.this will bring you to a crossroads.you will notice on your left a clearing with four concrete blocks.this is the old foundation to the fire tower that now sits out on 539.go another .4 tenths straight past it.make a 45 degree turn to your left.continue up this road for approx 2,6 mi to another crossroads (you will see smaller roads before this but this road is comparable to the one your on).to your right it goes at a 90 degree angle.to the left it goes back over your left shoulder at maybe a 120 degree angle.continue straight for .4 tenths of a mile.at this point there should be a smaller road to the right,still driveable.turn right and lean back and begin to climb.Perhaps you should be chewing gum at this point to prevent your ears from popping.Go 1000 ft up this road(thats almost .2 thenths)YOu are now going to climb 55 vertical ft. from 134 ft above sea level to 184 ft above sea level(this is where the topo contour lines come in)you will then be on top.If my memory serves me correctly your best views will be to the south.if you explore to the west and the east there are spots that have other views(hint: follow the cycle trail).on the southeast side of FRM their is a small spring found by following another trail.
Reverse these directions to follow your way back out.I can not vouch for the drivability of the road as someone else noted on here there has been quite a bit of rain lately and many holes are full.Get ready for a hike.this is back in there and if you get stuck you may be up feces crik without a paddle.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Another option for you might be to go along on one of the various organizations trips. This is a bit late for you, but this past Saturday at the Wells Mills Pinelands Jamboree, there were several van trips that went to the Mtns. The Forked River Mt Coalition holds a hike during the annual clean-up. Check their web site. It might be an option to familiarize yourself with the area before stepping out on your own.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Also, I do know how to read maps - just not topographical maps. Not making excuses, but I'm a girl in my 20's, and went to college in Baltimore. I'd have had no real place to learn how to read that type...

Where have i heard this before...oh yeah, in the first 15 minutes of every slasher movie made since 1970:rofl: Just kidding. You've gotten some good directions here. You can pick up topo maps from the ranger station in Batsto, or probably find them online.

Jeff

Bog

I phone

Have an I phone? I'm sure you're familiar with current cell phones. Believe it or not they work in most places in the pines. And the gps works well enough to get around. Not a viable alternative to a dedicated gps unit, but serviceable.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That is more true than you might expect. My iPhone got a pretty good signal in the FRM area, I posted this over two years ago.

08.jpg

Some other places are more challenging. I wouldn't want my life to depend on cell reception, but (sadly) the pines just aren't very large and there are a lot of towers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It also depends on the provider. On PBX hikes in the middle of nowhere, some members are talking on the phone and others can't even get a signal.

Guy