Forked River Mountain Hike

JackWardell

Dec 1, 2023
Forked River
I've been scowering the web looking for some kind of map to the Forked River Mountains, The only way I know how to get there has me going like over 10 miles there and back on foot. So I was just wondering if anyone knew a shorter route as I wanted to get some friends to go this time around and I will probably have a hard time selling them on that distance. Thanks in advance!

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There is a sand road, blocked by an orange gate, on Lacey Rd heading south, between Carriage and Penhook Rds. If you park on the side of the road and hike past the gate it is about a 2 3/4 mile hike, one way, to the mountain. It's a fairly straight and uncomplicated route. Just be sure to have a a copy of a topo map (my traditionalist favorite), a gps or a phone that has decent service and you should have no problems.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I've been scowering the web looking for some kind of map to the Forked River Mountains, The only way I know how to get there has me going like over 10 miles there and back on foot. So I was just wondering if anyone knew a shorter route as I wanted to get some friends to go this time around and I will probably have a hard time selling them on that distance. Thanks in advance!

First, all bets are off on my route if the rain has flooded much of the road. Anyway, when Jessica and I go we go the same way I have been going for 50 years. We enter at the Cedar Bridge Fire tower on 539 and drive past the ruins of the old tower until you come to the fork in the road. Go left and drive as far as you can without getting stuck. When you get to the really bad puddle here don't go any further in your vehicle. Don't!

Then it is a mile walk which goes quick. Stay on the road walking and you will be fine.

I actually don't walk the road. We take back paths that we took 50 years ago and visit some of my old haunts.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
5309 feet to the bottom of the hill.

5309.jpg

Reactions: MikeBickerson

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
There is a sand road, blocked by an orange gate, on Lacey Rd heading south, between Carriage and Penhook Rds. If you park on the side of the road and hike past the gate it is about a 2 3/4 mile hike, one way, to the mountain. It's a fairly straight and uncomplicated route. Just be sure to have a a copy of a topo map (my traditionalist favorite), a gps or a phone that has decent service and you should have no problems.
The orange gate is at the entrance to an old gravel pit called the Lacey Materials. The gate that GermanG notes is a white gate.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
First, all bets are off on my route if the rain has flooded much of the road. Anyway, when Jessica and I go we go the same way I have been going for 50 years. We enter at the Cedar Bridge Fire tower on 539 and drive past the ruins of the old tower until you come to the fork in the road. Go left and drive as far as you can without getting stuck. When you get to the really bad puddle here don't go any further in your vehicle. Don't!

Then it is a mile walk which goes quick. Stay on the road walking and you will be fine.

I actually don't walk the road. We take back paths that we took 50 years ago and visit some of my old haunts.
Guy, it ain't like the old days. It's even worse now going that way. Puddle after puddle after puddle, even in a drought due to the clay bottom. The county was working on the road 3 weeks ago, making some spots as soft as a muck bog. He's best walking in off Lacey Road.

JackWardell

Dec 1, 2023
Forked River
Guy, it ain't like the old days. It's even worse now going that way. Puddle after puddle after puddle, even in a drought due to the clay bottom. The county was working on the road 3 weeks ago, making some spots as soft as a muck bog. He's best walking in off Lacey Road.
Really that bad? I haven't gone in over a year but there was one sand road I could get a decent ways down before hitting a big flooded out portion. I Drive a 2001 normal honda civic so im already living dangerously anytime I go out on the backroads.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The orange gate is at the entrance to an old gravel pit called the Lacey Materials. The gate that GermanG notes is a white gate.
While in my mind I was indeed confusing the two gates, the other which is obviously painted orange, in reality the white gate has far more orange rust on it than its faded original white paint. At least that's the excuse I'm going with. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Wick and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Really that bad? I haven't gone in over a year but there was one sand road I could get a decent ways down before hitting a big flooded out portion. I Drive a 2001 normal honda civic so im already living dangerously anytime I go out on the backroads.
Give 'er a try! I don't live too far from there. If I can I'll pull you out.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yeah Im gonna give it a little while, think we are set for sometime after Christmas
Jack, proceed very cautiously. Stop and turn around if you start to have doubts. There is not much (if anything) on a Civic that I know of that is strong enough to withstand a tow out of mud. Take a look underneath your vehicle now, so you can decide where to put a tow strap should you need to do it. There is nothing worse than grasping for a hitch while under water.

Reactions: TommyP

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
What Bob said. I got pulled out of a washout a year ago by my Outback's tow hook, and the tow truck driver said it was the only time he'd gotten someone out of mud without it breaking. Now I've got a tow hitch and soft shackles if I need it again. (Felt good to see a 4wd Chevy Colorado need a tow out of the same washout though)

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
I went to Forked River Mtn on November 15th, before the recent rains, driving a Jeep LJ that's raised four inches and has 33x12.5 m/s tires. Went in through the Jones and Bryant Rds. entrance and left via the Lacey Rd. exit. Even with the Jeep I wouldn't attempt the trip after the recent rains. With a Honda Civic I don't see how you would ever make it. You should also note that most of the go arounds have stumps, many of which are six to eight inches high. If you do try it I would definitely use the Lacey Rd. alternative, and before you go have the telephone number of a towing service with a flatbed. A towing strap may not help you. Finally be aware that if you follow the directions on a gps they may take directly into problems created by the recent rains.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I used to go there frequently from around 1994-2014. It was never easy to get there. Remember one time when I had a pretty new VW Rabbit and passed a guy in a beat-up jeep. He said "You brought that new car out here????" and just laughed. :D Never got stuck, but it was always dicey. Sounds like it's only gotten worse. :(

Now that they've purchased all this land, are there any plans to improve the roads?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I used to go there frequently from around 1994-2014. It was never easy to get there. Remember one time when I had a pretty new VW Rabbit and passed a guy in a beat-up jeep. He said "You brought that new car out here????" and just laughed. :D Never got stuck, but it was always dicey. Sounds like it's only gotten worse. :(

Now that they've purchased all this land, are there any plans to improve the roads?
They have been trying to improve them yes. They've filled in some of the big holes with large stones and rocks. I'm not sure if they actually finished it at all though. German may know.