Forked River Mountains in 2022

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
About a decade ago, when I still had a 4WD vehicle, I'd often go to the summit of the Forked River Mountain at night and stare at the stars for an hour or two. My Adobe Lightroom library tells me that the last time I was out there was March of 2012. Anyway, I know that ownership changed or something and I'm just wondering - what's it like out there now? How's the summit of the mountain? How's Eureka Gun Club? Anything new turn up at Aserdaten?

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
I was just about to ask how to get up there. I was out that way to see the dwarf pines and Cedar Bridge Tavern and drove to Webbs Mill nature center. They don't let you on Morey Road so I'm not sure if that's the way or not.
I'll go take a look and let you know.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I used to go in via Jones Rd. from Rt 539. Here's a map link.
See this post Ben. Unless you have decent 4 wheel drive, going in from 539 is not recommended.

Reactions: Boyd and TommyP

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
See this post Ben. Unless you have decent 4 wheel drive, going in from 539 is not recommended.

Wow, so Jones Rd. is bad now? I used to take my Honda Ridgeline down it without any problems.

This is really sad.

Reactions: TommyP

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
That's scary because I took Jones in the opposite direction around Webbs Mill branch looking for that boardwalk. I've got a Subaru Outback.
Looking at your photos, I wouldn't try getting in that way. I've got 10" clearance but some of that looks real muddy. Did you say there were go-arounds?

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Drove down Jones Rd again yesterday from Dover Rd to Waretown Rd. You need to go around all of the holes as some are extremely deep. There are go arounds for most puddles

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That's scary because I took Jones in the opposite direction around Webbs Mill branch looking for that boardwalk. I've got a Subaru Outback.
Looking at your photos, I wouldn't try getting in that way. I've got 10" clearance but some of that looks real muddy. Did you say there were go-arounds?
I'd try it if I were you. That's a good vehicle. But not if the puddles are full. Where are you coming from, and where do you want to go?

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
I'd try it if I were you. That's a good vehicle. But not if the puddles are full. Where are you coming from, and where do you want to go?
I want to get as close to the top of Forked River Mountain as possible so I can walk to the peak. I'll take whatever road is safest. I don't want to get stuck there. I always measure puddles and use the go-around if they are there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I want to get as close to the top of Forked River Mountain as possible so I can walk to the peak. I'll take whatever road is safest. I don't want to get stuck there. I always measure puddles and use the go-around if they are there.
Considering your cautious way of driving (which I did not adopt until 5 years ago-finally!), I'd go now while things are relatively dry. If the gate on Lacey road is still open, use "A", if not, use "B". I have to add I'm not endorsing driving there if the county decided to close it down to vehicles (which I don't know is true or not).

1655982885080.png

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Thanks Bob. I tried getting in by roads near Well’s Mills Nature Center a few weeks ago. I’ll try Lacey Road.
I’m cautious because I don’t have a winch or recovery strap. I have a few traction boards and a shovel.
But entry from Lacey seems best, even if I park and walk it.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Today it dawned on me that I raged really hard against the state wanting to close roads in Wharton and now we have people with trucks digging giant ruts making it impossible if not super hard for regular people to go and enjoy the woods.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Today it dawned on me that I raged really hard against the state wanting to close roads in Wharton and now we have people with trucks digging giant ruts making it impossible if not super hard for regular people to go and enjoy the woods.
You did the right thing. As TommyP says, there has to be a better solution than closing the long-established roads.

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
I have an elderly neighbor who desperately wants me to take him to Forked River Mountain. I have a 4wheel Jeep and the neighbor probably can't walk more than a mile round trip. Haven't been to the mountain in over a year and my recollection is that this trip may not be doable. I typically come in using the Lacey Rd. entrance. If anyone has more info on the conditions around Forked River Mountain they would be much appreciated. Thanks

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have an elderly neighbor who desperately wants me to take him to Forked River Mountain. I have a 4wheel Jeep and the neighbor probably can't walk more than a mile round trip. Haven't been to the mountain in over a year and my recollection is that this trip may not be doable. I typically come in using the Lacey Rd. entrance. If anyone has more info on the conditions around Forked River Mountain they would be much appreciated. Thanks
I took a friend out to see something over by the Factory Branch area today. The Greenwood Forest roads are horrible, the worst I have ever seen. It was not fun driving back there at all. The beaver at Blacks bridge completely blocked the creek at the bridge for God knows how long, allowing the Chamberlin Branch to spill over the road south of the creek. There is a puddle there now at least crotch high, so we tried going in behind the old fire tower location where the wide road is. Awful! There are puddles across the road every 200 feet, with clay bottoms to boot. I don't think you should try the area at all. It's very sad what those roads have become.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd