Forked River Mountains

Oct 25, 2006
Me and my friend George decided to go to the Forked River Mountains yesterday, i have been there once in the late 70's with access from Lacey Road, but now the way to them is at the 16.5 mile marker on Rt.539, i was also there last year, but now since i have a digital camera i want to share our outing from Saturday. Arriving at the top of the hill, i took the following picture. The road from Rt.539 and to the hill were in good shape and very carable, a couple of small waterholes, some ice covered.
IMG_0416_Large_.JPG

The following will be some pictures of the views from the top. Hard to see, i wish i had a telephoto lens, but in the far distance of the picture the hangars at Lakehurst can be seen.
IMG_0417_Large_.JPG

Another view with telephone poles in the background.
IMG_0418_Large_.JPG

Another view.
IMG_0419_Large_.JPG

Another picture.
IMG_0420_Large_.JPG

A picture with a bird in it, the telephoto would have been great here, then maybe i could identify what species it is.
IMG_0421_Large_.JPG

We then decided to move on to where the Tuckerton Railroad old roadbed was. Here is a modern day view.
IMG_0422_Large_.JPG

Returning we then found the following ruins off of the road in the woods, here are some pictures, we found three of them.
IMG_0423_Large_.JPG

A cellar hole at one of the ruin sites.
IMG_0424_Large_.JPG

A third picture of a ruin.
IMG_0425_Large_.JPG

A fourth and final picture.
IMG_0426_Large_.JPG

Leaving the area we then parked and took a very short walk to the road between the two hills. This road we called the clay road, long water filled washouts, but the go arounds were mostly dry.
IMG_0427_Large_.JPG

The second pic of the road, and the final picture of the day.
IMG_0428_Large_.JPG

Time to go home, we took Stevenson Road, past the cranberry ruins north of Oswego Lake, i showed George the ruins there, then went to Carranza Road, turning onto the road to Hampton Furnace, showing my friend some of the sights.

We left the area and went to the Pic for some refreshments, Pabst Blue Ribbon was 1.75 a pint, after a few we then went home.

It was another great day in the Pines, had to wear three sweatshirts, but the outdoors were refreshing.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I didn't know the Pic had PBR. Certainly increases my opinion of the place. It's my favorite beer.

I think the poles in the background from on top of the mountain are along Lacey Rd.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's Jim! The road with the water I have always called the "puddle road". At certain times of the year it is more than puddle :)

The poles in the background from the mountain are along the old Tuckerton RR.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you visited the cement ruins at the top of the mountain years ago, you would have viewed very little of them. It is obvious the hill is starting to loose some of its soil. So much more of the foundations are now showing.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
People make fun of me for drinking PBR.

Those are the same people who have never had one. I've drank the most expensive Belgian Ales, and the cheapest American Beers. If I had my choice of any beer, and I wasn't specifically looking for a Belgian orange-y taste, I'd choose a PBR.

Edit: Anyway, enough PBR talk...

Oct 25, 2006
I didn't know the Pic had PBR. Certainly increases my opinion of the place. It's my favorite beer.

I think the poles in the background from on top of the mountain are along Lacey Rd.

Ben

The PBR on tap was a newly offered tap beer, once the special is over as per the sign, it goes up to $3.00 a pint, i'd drink it anytime.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Nice photo's Jim! The road with the water I have always called the "puddle road". At certain times of the year it is more than puddle :)

Guy

Guy

The ruin pics, are they the old testing depot ruins ?

Jim

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
$3.00 a pint is what I pay for a can of it in Manhattan. The Pic is insane to charge that much for it.

The ruins you posted - the ones with the cinder block and metal - I am fairly sure those are the testing depot ruins. To be honest, nobody here researched them in any great detail. Renee did a lot of research on them - she'd be the one to give you a definitive answer. I am pretty sure she had a detailed writeup on her site, or perhaps the Yahoo group. This was several years ago.

Oct 25, 2006
$3.00 a pint is what I pay for a can of it in Manhattan. The Pic is insane to charge that much for it.

The ruins you posted - the ones with the cinder block and metal - I am fairly sure those are the testing depot ruins. To be honest, nobody here researched them in any great detail. Renee did a lot of research on them - she'd be the one to give you a definitive answer. I am pretty sure she had a detailed writeup on her site, or perhaps the Yahoo group. This was several years ago.

Ben

All pint beer is $3.00 there, a few weeks ago they had a Bud special for $1.50, with all due respect to the people that drink Bud, that is what i had on that outing.

When i say that i go over my friend's house in Tabernacle, the only reason i drink them is because they are free, but to each his own.

Thanks for the info on whom to contact for the depot info.

Jim

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
sweet pics, ive only been there once but ill never forget the view amazing i think that bird might have been a turkey vulture and by theway PBR rules i love the stuff best cheap beer ever !!!!

Oct 25, 2006

Guy

Thanks Guy, it is greatly appreciated, even if i had a 4 wheel drive, i would not attempt to go through one of those puddles, i can just imagine how deep they are, but basically i do not want to find out.

Jim

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Great pictures, I also like pbr, it is a great beer. The bar i always went to(It is closed down now) pbr was 1.50 everyday except sundays it was 1.00