Former "Jersey Guy" taking over Don Imus' slot

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I noticed that there was a new guy. Judy was on later than usual the other day too. I never knew what Carton looked like; sometimes wondered what face belonged to that high pitched, raspy voice.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
the new guy had that spot before the jersey guys, it was the scott and casey show. sounds like ray is still the side kick, wounder why he didn't become the main host. Carton was as you stated bob, but it made for some good radio.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
but it made for some good radio.

Obviously our definitions of "good radio" are very different. I listened from time to time since I have long commute, and sometimes it was entertaining. I'm a "live and let live" kind of guy and don't get offended or up in arms about that kind of thing, I'm not a crusader. So if other people enjoy that kind of thing it's fine with me.... my radio has two buttons which I find very useful... one of them changes the channel and the other turns it off.

But Carton could spend a half hour harping on the same stupid point with Rossi about stuff like why he wasn't going to a softball game or why he didn't know a line from a movie. A couple minutes of that was funny, but a half hour wasn't and I would just change the channel. Then I'd check back later and would be amazed to hear him still going at it. When he was in prime form though I'll give Carton credit for making the drive home more fun. But those times seemed to be few and far between.

Now it's interesting that he's been chosen for the Imus slot though. Obviously they aren't gunshy about hiring someone who will be controversial. I suppose they liked all the free PR from the Imus flap, and when Carton PO's somebody they will be happy to throw him to the wolves and bring in the next guy.

As far as "what's wrong with radio today," I just don't know. As I follow the media somewhat, I know that stations are having problems finding enough advertisers - I sold my Clear Channel stock a couple years ago for that reason. But the Jersey Guys show didn't seem to have any shortage of advertisers. In fact, that's another problem I had with the show.... there is really only about 1/2 hour (maybe less) content there between the ads, news and traffic reports. Although I suppose it might be that they sell the ads cheap and therefore need to run a lot of them (another bad trend in radio which is causing people to tune out).

Rossi seems like a nice guy, but if you ever listened to him on a solo day then you'd know what *really* boring radio sounds like. And Scott and Casey... I stopped listening to the afternoon show altogether back when they used to be on. Really bad topics and inane discussion. I'm not impressed by Casey's return either. Maybe they will come up with something better when all the dust settles. Actually Diminsky and Doyle, who were there before Scott and Casey were closer to my own taste.

I just got a new car that included a 3 mo subscription to Sirius so I've been checking that out. Some good stuff there, and I suppose it really is the future of mobile entertainment. Not really sure if it's worth the $13/mo yet though. Now the Howard Stern thing is something I really don't get. I hope they're getting their $10M/year worth out of him. I listened a few times and won't be doing it again. Like I said, I'm not offended, just bored. Not interested in all his personal issues and don't really enjoy listening to f*rting contests or other unpleasant stuff on the way to work. But if you like that stuff and are willing to pay for it.... more power to ya! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Howard Stern, IMHO, has not been funny since the mid 90's. The Stern you're hearing on Sirius pales in comparison to the radio he used to do.

I started listening to Howard Stern the day he started in Philly, and did so for years until tinnitus ended my headphone use. But when Fred became odd and started to cut back on his contributions to the show it "jumped the shark". The Stern show popularity in my opinion was the genius of Fred Norris and not Stern. Stern was always considered by me to have the common sense of chigger :) Had to make it pine barren related you know :D

Guy

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
I remember Carton from WIP. He wasn't very good there and from what I have read, has continued that. Radio is an interesting business wherein those who generate buzz make money, even if they have little else to offer.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I have listened to Howard Stern since his WNBC days. The show is different now. It's morphed. I don't think it's any more or less funny. I think Artie Lange is why I like it so much now.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You know, one of the reasons that it was fun to listen to Stern on broadcast radio was that you knew he was going to push the show to the limits allowed by the FCC so you were always wondering just how far he would go. On Sirius that really isn't an issue anymore and I think it takes away lots of the fun.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Yeah, you're right about that. They were more creative with their humor. I really thought they'd carry that into the uncensored show, but they were shot out of a cannon, right from the beginning.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Again, without Fred Norris doing the bulk of the writing the show is nothing. His contributions were priceless. Stern would have been a nobody without him.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
You're right, they're totally priceless.

There's been some great writing on that show. They are airing a two week "History of Stern" over the Christmas break. I will look forward to that. :)

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I'm a longtime Stern fan and purchased Sirius based on the move. I'm too young to remember the "golden days" of the show because I've only been listening since I first started driving (almost 9 years), but I think Artie is much funnier than Jackie ever was. Regardless, I'm glad I went with Sirius anyway. I have a friend who has XM (he's a big Opie and Anthony fan-I don't care for them) and XM's selection of music genres pales in comparison to Sirius.

Let it be known, however, that Craig Carton is a scumbag through and through. First of all he ripped off bits from everyone in the business ("sexy traffic" was a ripoff of Chris Booker at 92.3-a mediocre jock at best-Carton didn't even do it well), and he frequently used his position to inflict harm on people. Stern's show is all fun and games, Carton is a vindictive, lying, bigoted person. Anyone remember the Mary Jo Codey incident? How about "Operation La Cucha Gotcha?" Of course then there was the time Carton encouraged people to become belligerent with State Troopers over traffic stops-until Davy Jones put him in his place and he ran away with his tail between his legs.

I wonder how much CBS will have to pay out this time? I think Carton cost his last station in Philly at least $20-30K over his slander of Eric Lindros. Oh and one more thing-I wonder if Carton will actually move to New Jersey?