Found In My Back Yard

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
It doesn't look like a typical railroad spike to me, but it could still be RR-related, perhaps a fastener used on telegraph or telephone poles that ran along the line. How long is it? A spike would be about six inches or so and square in cross section. If it's round in cross section, the bolts attaching the fishplates that connect the rails to each other are a possibility too. But even though the railroad went through Ocean Gate, I'd be more inclined to guess at the items being boat-related, based just on the sheer quantity of people using boats in this region, then and now, as well as the presence of the chain along with it. But then again, chains, bolts and spikes could have served many other purposes as well. A history of the site or the previous owners and their occupation could be helpful. That means more than "digging" with a shovel, but it's fun!

Reactions: Sarra

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I live in Ocean Gate, and maybe this isn't exactly Pine Barrens related, but maybe someone could tell me what they think I have found.

Check the map at the link, scroll down to find a map of Ocean Gate and the railroad right of way to see if your home is near it. The map is dated 1938. I live in a nearby town and the PRR switch location for the RR bridge over the river to Island Heights was in our backyard.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/Ocean/OceanCo_pix_1938_back.jpg

That part does not look like a RR spike. With the cone shaped head it was probably used in wood construction. Does the other end have spiral markings, as a bolt or screw would?

Ocean Gate used to have a Historical Society and may still. The phone number used to be (732) 269-8040 and it was located at Cape May and Asbury Ave's.

http://www.ochistory.org/OGHS_-_Main_Page.php

Good luck in your quest.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I think that is a chain and pin for a latch on a large gate, maybe a swing gate for a horse pasture. The hardware would mount the chain to the post.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Check the map at the link, scroll down to find a map of Ocean Gate and the railroad right of way to see if your home is near it. The map is dated 1938. I live in a nearby town and the PRR switch location for the RR bridge over the river to Island Heights was in our backyard.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/Ocean/OceanCo_pix_1938_back.jpg

That part does not look like a RR spike. With the cone shaped head it was probably used in wood construction. Does the other end have spiral markings, as a bolt or screw would?

Ocean Gate used to have a Historical Society and may still. The phone number used to be (732) 269-8040 and it was located at Cape May and Asbury Ave's.

http://www.ochistory.org/OGHS_-_Main_Page.php

Good luck in your quest.
Yeah, that map confirms, the railroad ran right along my back yard. I don't think it is a railroad spike either, just sort of hoping it was railroad related!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm pretty sure that's not a railroad spike, but it looks like it could be a rivet or some other sort of fastener along the lines of the photograph below.

4fQz7US.jpg

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
How come your name on this site is Sarra but on your Flickr site it is Patti? Both sites use the same picture.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Sarra, you may need to get a permit to hunt the bike path with a metal detector. Is the path an Ocean County park? If so, I would give the park system a call for a free permit, unless the policy has changed. State and federal land metal detecting is a no-no too. Definitely check first!

-Metal detecting may not be a problem, but the digging may be... go figure.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Forget it, it just seemed curious.
I totally didn't mean to ignore this, I haven't logged on in a couple days. I used the name Sarra because I shortened the word Sarracenia - the Latin name for Pitcher Plants. I am a total plant geek. Thats why I haven't logged on, work on the flower farm I work on has been getting busy!