Fox hunting in Lebonon?

hi all my first time posting so im not sure if im in the right spot for this but i just wanted to know if people still fox hunt out in the pines i use to go with my father every weekend when i was little i remember seeing hundreds of dogs out there . mostly everyone that my father hunted with were pretty old when i was a kid so i was just wondering if there was a new batch of fox hunters or if they were a dying or dead breed . thanks in advance for any commets.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
FoxyLady said:
hi all my first time posting so im not sure if im in the right spot for this but i just wanted to know if people still fox hunt out in the pines i use to go with my father every weekend when i was little i remember seeing hundreds of dogs out there . mostly everyone that my father hunted with were pretty old when i was a kid so i was just wondering if there was a new batch of fox hunters or if they were a dying or dead breed . thanks in advance for any commets.

I believe fox hunting is still done in Lebanon and Wharton. About 4 years ago I ran into some fox hunters at Friendship in Wharton.

Have you seen the book Chaseworld by Mary Hufford? It's a very interesting, detailed look at foxing in Lebanon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812213599/103-2411169-7597416?v=glance&n=283155

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Cant say I know anything of Fox hunting, or any hunting for that matter, but its probably my favorite animal to encounter. They never fail to possess smarts and cunning. Ran into one last year in Wharton, and he trailed me for a few miles after a lunch stop. Think he was hoping to get some treats. Also found a den in Lower Alloway last Spring, which I visited over a six month period to watch the young grow. VIVA Fox!!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
FoxyLady,
I live near Mt. Misery in Lebanon and yes they still fox hunt. I see them along Mt. Misery rd. north of 70. It is done by truck as I'm sure it was when you were little. When you get behind the hounds on the road they don't let you pass and just trot along. It can take a long time to get where you want to go. I don't know how popular it is now compared to when you were little, but it is still being practiced.

Jeff

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Stu said:
I always wanted a pet fox. Never could see how anyone could hunt 'em.

I always felt pretty much the same, not the pet thing, but the hunting thing, but thats just a lifestyle choice. Some probably find me crazy for the hundreds of hiking miles I pump out every year, so who am I to judge. I do enjoy watching them much more than I would killing them though.

Piney Boy said:
I always felt pretty much the same, not the pet thing, but the hunting thing, but thats just a lifestyle choice. Some probably find me crazy for the hundreds of hiking miles I pump out every year, so who am I to judge. I do enjoy watching them much more than I would killing them though.

Now I'm not sure but I don't think they actually kill the fox, at least not in England.

Steve

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
foxylady, I remember a documentary about fox hunting in the pines in the mid to late 80's, I think it was on njn? couldn't find it in their catalog, maybe it was a segment in another documetary about the pines. I would love to see it again. I ran out of gas back in the FRM area a few years ago, a fox hunter was nice enough to bring me out to tuckerton to get gas and brought me back, all for a pack of smokes, butch mizner if you ever read this thank you, you saved me one very long walk and it was very nice to have a long conversation with a true old school piney, just hearing about how it used to be.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
FoxyLady said:
hello all, my father and his friends didnt actully kill the fox mostly it was the thrill of the chase for the dogs. but unfortunatly there were times when the dogs got ahold of the fox. but most fox outsmart the dogs

Yeah, the point isn't to kill the fox but to tree it.