Franklin Parker Preserve

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Tangential topic: what do we know about this (unnamed?) road?

aerial.png

Looking at the map again, it is not part of the private parcels adjacent to it with the no trespassing signs. It does not pass through the Franklin Parker parcel we've been talking about, but interestingly, it does go all the way down to the closed section of South Park Road. On the way it passes by a former cranberry bog and some historic structures.

Someone has a gate across it at the entrance off Sooy Place (Google Street View):

road.jpg

It certainly does not look like it's traveled often. Anyone know if it is legal to go back there?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That road is on the USGS 24k topo map... does that mean we can drive on it? :D

If you look at the LIDAR imagery, it appears the right of way and area to the East was plowed as a field, while the Western fork is more clearly shown. The topo also shows a house that no longer exists next to that road. Looks like any trace of it was plowed over.

Reactions: stiltzkin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been back there and I would suggest you not go. Here is the deal.

In 2017 RednekF350 told me he had been back there with another hunter and it was good for me to go. So on December 3, 2017 (days before hunting season) Jessica and I went there and drove down the road. (Not the road with the blockage in your second photo) On the way down the road we came upon many multiple deer stands and then this sign.

IMG_1218a.jpg

We started to get a little worried and turned around and headed back out. On the way out a truck came toward us and the man was furious. I listened to his complaints about me bothering the deer days before hunting season and he told me to leave. I told him I was trying to explore the NJCF property and he wanted no parts of that. He yelled some more and drove off and by that time Jessica was yelling at me for going there. As I have mentioned she hates being around people in the woods.

I am certain he was from the Antler gun club and they pretty much want that place to themselves as far as I can tell. The NJCF may own it but they try to be good neighbors and don't publicize every property they own for this reason. Again, my opinion. Don't go!

aaaaa.jpg

Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is our track. As you can see the road to the Antler gun club actually crosses the NJCF land where the middle two arrows show in the below map. So the club either has an easement or the NJCF allows them to use it. So we crossed what I will call unknown property and actually got onto NJCF property. But we then strayed past it and was no longer on the NJCF property. So we were trespassing but at the time I was unsure and that is why we turned around.

Again, don't go near that place at least until hunting is over next spring. Then go at your own risk.

trackk.jpg

Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I appreciate your posts and the information, but I was talking about the road to the east of this, not the road that leads right to the deer club. Mostly I would be interested in checking out the former bogs that are to the south of this area, along the road.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes I know. But that road is blocked off. And that road goes through the NJCF property and hunters will most likely be using it and don't want you there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Rednek has been to this bogs and can tell you more. I just have decided it is not worth going there if hunters don't want me in the area.