Franklin Parker Preserve

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Sometimes there are maps in the kiosks. I agree with Ed, it's nice knowing where the dikes are breached. Especially when driving through.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The question is though....will pepper spray or any spray really dissuade an animal if it wants to attack you? I can't see spray being used as a defense. Now, a gun...yes.

Yep, and it does it quietly. :) It's been shown it is much more effective than a firearm.

I have a friend that does testing and education for UDAP. Just carry as big a cannister as your comfortable with. When I'm up in the NW part of the state where bruins are an ongoing issue, I carry my bear cannister.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Yep, and it does it quietly. :) It's been shown it is much more effective than a firearm.

I have a friend that does testing and education for UDAP. Just carry as big a cannister as your comfortable with. When I'm up in the NW part of the state where bruins are an ongoing issue, I carry my bear cannister.
Maybe you should worry about Zombies,,,,Zombie Stop Pepper Spray.Sprays In Green .Wont stain the Pines.
zombie.jpg

http://counterassault.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=ea3a9f4b6jo5vrqf6rguol05c6

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Depending where you at on the preserve it can be very confusing. The good news is as long as you stay on the trails you'll be fine, you'll either hit 563, railroad tracks, 532, etc. I still get confused when I'm back there though, fortunately I got keys to the gates so I'm usually in my car.
Dragoncjo, how did you get keys to the gates? Any way you could help me get in to the reservoir area with my kayak?

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
It seems like everyone has a key to the Preserve and does work out of there, geez. Maybe I need to start research on the bog sediment or something. Thank you for the pepper spray information. Yes, I am aware of the Zombie Program, Walking Dead.

If I carry a 2 gallon canister, I am sure that could do the trick :) J/K. I have one and is old. Time to retire it and buy a new one. i guess something is better than nothing. Hee Haw from the Wild Wild West.

-Pineywoman

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Scubabruce, I have a key because I was/am studying a couple species in and around the property. I rarely actually open the gates to drive around anymore, I usual hike in/through. I think they will give keys to people doing studies out there, doesn't have to be overly serious just something. Maybe try contacting NJCF, I know only cars registered to the key can drive around.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Scubabruce, I have a key because I was/am studying a couple species in and around the property. I rarely actually open the gates to drive around anymore, I usual hike in/through. I think they will give keys to people doing studies out there, doesn't have to be overly serious just something. Maybe try contacting NJCF, I know only cars registered to the key can drive around.

Chris, have you noticed any hunters on the property since the season started? I know where a few stands are will avoid them unless I get short on time and have to cut across the property. I plan on being out along the railroad tracks/Wading this weekend.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Robert, I haven't seen any hunters out yet, but haven't been out out around FPP since the season began. I'll be out tomorrow though, you'll see my cherokee in the usual spots. Let me know if you see anything suspicious.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Wear bright bright orange...so that you glow from outer space.

I wear clothing that helps me not to be noticed, which for me is earth tones and camo. Sometimes I am looking for something that is very special to me and I don't want a curious passer-by to start asking questions.

The beaver dams have flooded a vast area. I walked a mile above the dike that parallels the railroad track and there is water pushing further into the woods than what I have seen recently. Part of the red blazed trail has a short by-pass around one flooded section

The dike along the tracks.
FloodParkersm.jpg

I took the long way around the Preserve in the rain and found Narthecium americanum along one of the many water ways that are hidden in the woods. I quickly found out I could have saved time by walking an existing trail that I came across when I was leaving.:bang: I am sure Oji has been was here by the many tags I found.

Bog Asphodel in the Preserve. This spot looks to be a great location for Arethusa too.

ParkerAsphodelsm.jpg

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hey is something wrong with your camera...or are you just happy to see me??? Why oh why would you wear camo during hunting season? You are a trip and god bless ya!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am sure Oji has been was here by the many tags I found.

Bog Asphodel in the Preserve. This spot looks to be a great location for Arethusa too.

View attachment 2710

That had to have been one of the survey spots this year. An individual has been recording all of the plants found and reporting on them. I am pretty certain that was not Oji but I am quite certain he has been there.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
That had to have been one of the survey spots this year. An individual has been recording all of the plants found and reporting on them. I am pretty certain that was not Oji but I am quite certain he has been there.

Guy

Interesting. A survey would explain the location of some of the streamers.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ

I was told by one person working there that the NJCF is trying to cut back on the number of people entering the preserve with vehicles. Do they require you to prepare a report based on your studies there and provide them with a copy?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
A few years back they organized the key situation better. Prior to that many people where copying keys and handing them out. If you have a key you need to have an approved reason, part of the process is to submit a report after. I rarely open the gates anymore, and only if I have a true reason, if not I just walk it and park at the public entrances.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wear clothing that helps me not to be noticed, which for me is earth tones and camo. Sometimes I am looking for something that is very special to me and I don't want a curious passer-by to start asking questions.

The beaver dams have flooded a vast area. I walked a mile above the dike that parallels the railroad track and there is water pushing further into the woods than what I have seen recently. Part of the red blazed trail has a short by-pass around one flooded section

The dike along the tracks.
View attachment 2709

I took the long way around the Preserve in the rain and found Narthecium americanum along one of the many water ways that are hidden in the woods. I quickly found out I could have saved time by walking an existing trail that I came across when I was leaving.:bang: I am sure Oji has been was here by the many tags I found.

View attachment 2710
I share your attachment to Camo Gibby.Been wearing camo before camo was cool.I also don't like being noticed unless I want to be and do not enjoy looking like a neon sign.Have never figured out how something that stands upright and walks on two legs can be mistaken for a deer anyway.