Friend bailed; Thoughts/feelings on solo backpacking?

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
watchmaker said:
I will likely be doing South -> North, but I have no date set in stone yet. I'm still waiting on the arrival of my sleeping bag which is back ordered at REI. They say it should be here by May 30. When did you plan on going?

did you get the sub kilo on sale too? i just picked that up a few weekends ago and have been sleeping in my hennessy hammock in the backyard to get used to it--very comfy! i didn't have any plans about when i'd do the batona trail, but i planned to do some shorter solo hikes to places like the mullica and lower forge camgrounds before attempting a solo 50 mile stealth-camping hike. but, those plans have kind of been derailed by my parents who think its too dangerous to do pretty much anything solo (even car camping-they really don't know what they're talking about), so i was pretty excited to see somebody on here with a similar goal that i might be able to go with. Also, i'd definitely bring my gps so no worries about getting lost. I have all the backpacking basics (shelter, sleeping bag, pack, stove, etc.) but no water filter yet and i probably need to get more lightweight synthetic clothes and some rain gear. that i'm definitely not buying from REI--have you seen some of the tiny jackets they sell for $100-200? outrageous!

are you all outfitted besides the sleeping bag? we could shoot to make a three-day weekend of it sometime in early june.

watchmaker

May 12, 2006
WAMBA -- I got the Marmot Arete. It's rated for 40 degrees. It's pretty lightweight, for easier hauling. If it gets colder than that, I'll have to throw on a bunch of layers. On a side note, I just got an email from REI saying that it shipped, and UPS says it should be here today! :) I still need to pick up a few odds and ends, though. For example, I still need something to carry water (perhaps some Nalgene bottles?). I also need to get some smaller bags to organize things within my pack, b/c as it is now, it's pretty haphazard. We'll stay in touch. It would be cool to have someone to hang w/ on the journey.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
nice bag,do not get that down wet.Check out the platypus collapsible bottles, I like the 1.5 liter bags,they also make a 32 oz. collapsible canteen with a wide mouth,good for making powered drinks and on cold nights it makes agreat hot water bottle.These bottles weigh less than two ounces.a nalgene bottle goes about 5 oz.I have a fitting that lets me hook my filter right to the platys, makes for quick and easy fill ups. I bought a bag at rei that has a clear plastic front to keep my odds and ends together.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
WAMBA-
Best way to buy gear, that doesn't have to be fitted, is online. Never buy a pack or boots without trying them first, but if you are looking for a rain poncho, purifier, etc, try campmor.com. Great site withloads of gear at discount prices.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Depends on the friend........how fast you hike and how fast they hike... I prefer hiking/backpacking alone unless I am confident the other person/people will either keep the same pace or hike faster......

Also knowing basic first aid and cpr is a plus in a hiking partner....Weird things can happen out there......

Self confidence in the hiking/backpacking world is a must for the solo.......

read up on www.andrewskurka.com he has a great insite on solo hiking also has hiked more miles alone than most people you will ever meet.