Fries Mill

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Keep me posted if a trip is in the works to Fries Mill. I do want to go back there. Ideally in the fall or winter again - exploring should be easier than in the summer.

I think the sandy beach area in the photo is almost completely swallowed up by the woods now. If you look at it on aerial photos you can see it getting smaller and smaller over the decades.
Yes the beach is gone,swallered up by brush and trees.The creek looks to be shallower then it used to be.I can see bottom when the suns right from the bridge.That used to be over our heads back then.They used to dive off the board that was left of the board in the pic.I still couldnt see bottom there.Maybe I will walk out and see if it's still deep or shallowed up.

Reactions: stiltzkin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
One would assume the drawings would be created whilst looking at the buildings they were representing so I wonder pre 1896? When that article was written about the murder since it does mention Fries mill rather than Reeve’s mill? I grew up at Leamings mill and although just a grist mill I would love to see photos from this era one day at Leamings mill
I can show you the foundation of the Grist Mill at Fries Mill.At leamings Mill it was in the clearing on the east side of the crik,all I"ve found over there is a few bricks.

Reactions: 66C10

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
No you can go in by the tracks but it's a further walk.I know a short cut thats by far more interesting and gives you a tour of the parts of camp Hollybrook that garrison doesn't own.Stay south of Fries Mill rd (His driveway) and your on nature Conservancy.I park about a mile north of the tracks

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Funny, was just noticing there's another Fries Mill about 20 miles to the North...

https://boydsmaps.com/#15.00/39.655255/-75.048256/legacy24k/0.00/0.00

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 1.46.04 PM.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"ve walked parts of Scotland Run between Malaga Lake and Willow grove lake (Canoed it as well) but this area up here looks interesting.Might try walking parts of it up there after my knee operation.Looks like the bottom is solid from the rd crossing.

Reactions: Boyd
Feb 26, 2024
Vineland
I live in Vinelad and I pretty much spend all weekend wandering around this place from the end of November until about the first week of March. I was there all day yesterday and walked by the ruins. I still find new spots to discover every time I go. So glad I found this website to fill in some history of where I like to spend my time. There is a peaceful magic about this place. And the history of the Fries Mill section makes the mind wander to how they felt about the area as well as what they did for fun and relaxation. Looking forward to hearing more of your stories and history on this place.

Cheers.
1076.JPG
1075.JPG

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
I live in Vinelad and I pretty much spend all weekend wandering around this place from the end of November until about the first week of March. I was there all day yesterday and walked by the ruins. I still find new spots to discover every time I go. So glad I found this website to fill in some history of where I like to spend my time. There is a peaceful magic about this place. And the history of the Fries Mill section makes the mind wander to how they felt about the area as well as what they did for fun and relaxation. Looking forward to hearing more of your stories and history on this place.

Cheers.View attachment 22093View attachment 22094
Here is another thread you may enjoy.

Feb 26, 2024
Vineland
Peaceful? Did you ever read the newspaper clipping of the murder that was committed at Fries Mill over a woman.Wasn't always peaceful there but then again that goes for any where people have lived very long.
I meant peaceful as in when I wander around there it's peaceful for me. I was not aware of a murder at this spot, I must have missed that story growing up. In my teens, we would 4x4 and camp around the wash closest to 55 and my father would always take me in from Port Eliz/Cumb Road for walks by Fries Mill when I was very young. I need to look through some of my old photo albums for all the pictures I've taken out here through the years.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My god, this was exactly what I've been searching for. It's been a long time that I've pondered what was going on in the past. Now I can put some context to the rubble I've enjoyed playing on for all these years. ha ha ha.
you do know the southern chimney fell down last year don't you? I have heard anyway,aint been by it since it fell

Reactions: BigWoollyMammoth