Fruitland Monuments

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Don and Everyone,

We went looking for Fruitland property corners today and found a few more.

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

While looking fr them Jessica found this. It looks old but I am uncertain what it could be. It is anvil shaped and looks somewhat Like a shoe on one side. Is it bog iron?

IMG_1808.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

If you are a semi serious explorer you need to go here and look around.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.736413717753244&lng=-74.7009577194977&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

If you go this winter and plan your route carefully through burned area's you can get there fairly easily without traveling on private property. It was an old cranberry bog and it is a most interesting place to explore. At least I thought so.

The old dam.

IMG_1811.JPG

Breached.

IMG_1815.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Guy, you know that's one of my favorite areas to explorer. I can see you had a good trip and found a couple of more pieces to the Fruitland puzzle.
Although I have no idea as to what Jessica found, it has very little rust and sure looks like a bog iron item to me. And it looks oooold.
Also, great exploring, you are putting together a nice layout of that section of Fruitland.
Don
P.S. Nice pictures, that bog is cool.

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, remember the day you, me and Jess investigated that light bulb on the 95 aerial? I remember something happened to Jess that day. It was tough going in there. Tough as hell.

ltbulb.JPG

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I never take anything out of the woods that is not mine so I left the bog iron there. I did get a GPS cord though.

That may be a historically valuable item. In any case it should be in the little museum room at Batsto. Maybe the picture in the right hands would be able to identify it and decide whether or not they want to retrieve it. The superintendent may not be the right hands, he has not shown me any interest in history at all.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
My best guess - Could that bog iron be the waste part of a molded item. The funnel opening in the mold where you poured the molten iron into the mold. They usually filled it to the top, then when the iron cooled the mold was opened and this funnel part was snapped off as waste.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
My best guess - Could that bog iron be the waste part of a molded item. The funnel opening in the mold where you poured the molten iron into the mold. They usually filled it to the top, then when the iron cooled the mold was opened and this funnel part was snapped off as waste.
That was kind I my thinking. It looks like like left over from pouring the iron into a mold, especially at the top. I would tend to think that if that's what it is then it would be in the earlier days of the forge or in its hay day when it wasn't so concerned about waste. Either way it looks very old.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, remember the day you, me and Jess investigated that light bulb on the 95 aerial? I remember something happened to Jess that day. It was tough going in there. Tough as hell.

I remember us doing that but can't remember what actually happened to her and can't find my photos if I took any.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I never take anything out of the woods that is not mine so I left the bog iron there. I did get a GPS cord though.

Take picture, put it back, get cord's, - perfect Guy. The down side is someone else comes along picks it up and it's gone forever. I hope everyone READS AND UNDERSTANDS your post. I personally think you did the best thing.
Don

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Did anyone notice that the map showing the place of Teegate's visit labels the stream running thru Lower Forge the Mullica? That river can't run in two channels a mile apart!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I personally think you did the best thing.

That would seem to conflict with your earlier statement. ;)

In any case it should be in the little museum room at Batsto.

I also like Guy's policy. I am the same way, this topic comes up from time to time. Many people here have made the argument that "somebody's gonna pick it up, so it might as well be me since I will show it the proper respect". Personally, I try to leave everything as I found it. I don't feel I have a right to remove something that has been lying around the woods for a hundred years. And the State doesn't think you have the right to do that either. ;)

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Did anyone notice that the map showing the place of Teegate's visit labels the stream running thru Lower Forge the Mullica? That river can't run in two channels a mile apart!

I can't view NJPB maps today, all I get is a white screen.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
That would seem to conflict with your earlier statement. ;)

I also like Guy's policy. I am the same way, this topic comes up from time to time. Many people here have made the argument that "somebody's gonna pick it up, so it might as well be me since I will show it the proper respect". Personally, I try to leave everything as I found it. I don't feel I have a right to remove something that has been lying around the woods for a hundred years. And the State doesn't think you have the right to do that either. ;)

I don't see a conflict. If you are talking about " In any case it should be in the little museum room at Batsto. Maybe the picture in the right hands would be able to identify it and decide whether or not they want to retrieve it." I don't think that conflicts with any of us leaving things where we find them. The right hands such as the state historian surely has the right to retrieve it if he thinks it should be in a museum. If historians and archeologists left everything where they found them, all the museums of the world would be empty.
However, with all the conflict and confusion I think we are on the same page. Anything we find should be left as we find it, I just added it is a good idea to record the data.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Put a wooden handle on the top of the taper and polish the bottom. Give it to Jess for an iron. She simply has to set it over a burner for a minute to get 'er hot!

I think you are going to pay for that! :D