Fruitland Monuments

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was walking in the woods in the dark this morning and had a little trouble finding this Fruitland monument. I had to use my flash.

IMG_1835.JPG

With much of the area burned it is really easy to find some of them.

IMG_1838.JPG

Some of you may remember from years ago when I was searching to see if the state placed a monument at the purchase corners. Wharton was sold to the state in two purchases one year apart. So the surveyors ran a line across Wharton and came up with a location where the first and second purchases would be divided. One of the corners is in the woods north of the shooting range, south of the JCRR and west of East Stokes Road. I had gone there years ago and it was so thick I could not see anything. Well, the recent fire has changed all that and I was able to easily get there and look around. Unfortunately, I now know nothing is there. My walking stick is at the exact spot in the below photo.

IMG_1839.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Guy,

NJ 21 is a good one, another piece to the puzzle. I don't remember it you said you found NJ18, NJ20, or NJ23, they are what I would call the end of the lines. I am sure Fruitland ended at the Mullica River. I would like to find some info on the lots down by the river where Tracker-Jim said the ground had been worked at one time.

Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have not looked for 18, I have not looked for 20, and I found 23. There is a 24 next to 23 which is in a swamp. The reeds were as tall as me and it was hard seeing anything. That was in the warm weather. I also looked today for the corner that says "corner of Fruitland to look for." I think the info I sent you shows that on it. That is burned completely and nothing is there for sure. So it may be that there are no stones further east that the state property corners. I still want to check more locations but it does not look good to find anything more.

What is frustrating me is 11 and 12 where we looked together. I looked again and it is much easier to see the ground. Nothing! I am confident 14 is not there because it is the middle of Quaker Bridge Road. I looked for 19 and did not find it and I think 5 was damaged with plow lines just like 4 and 5.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also looked for 9 yesterday and today. It is all briers but I made a small area where I think it is and was able to poke around. The duff is a foot thick in some places and when I poke the ground the ground sounds like a well. I am not getting deep enough to find it.

Last edited:

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
janwor,

Did you know Edith Giberson who taught kindergarten in Indian Mills School? She owned one of the Fruitland Lots back there where Guy is looking.

Don

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
We went looking for Fruitland property corners today and found a few more.

Guy

Guy,

Clearly those stones do not date to the founding of Fruitland in 1866. Were they placed there when the State purchased Wharton? I ask because I was wondering why NJ would survey that tract within the greater Wharton tract. I think I am missing something.

Thanks,
Rich

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The concrete monuments were put in by Wharton probably when they bought the property.Any stones would pre date Wharton and possibly be from as far back as 1866 easily.Wharton uses concrete monuments and the stones would be from previous owners.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The concrete monuments with the numbers and letters stamped into them were put there by the Wharton survey team in the 1950s. There was and still is private land in this area so they had to survey those properties. And there are actual stones in a few of the locations which I have posted photos of. How long they have been there is unknown but they may be from as far back as when the individual lots were originally made or purchased.

Reactions: manumuskin

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Wouldn't deeds provide some information regarding stones? Wouldn't their descriptions either refer to monuments or some other identifying feature for the land description?
P.S.
No one commented on my earlier post that the map showed the Mullica in two places: one where it belongs and the other where the Bartsto runs.........

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We found two more of the Fruitland monuments today. If you are following at home with Don's map they are at the very bottom corner of Lot 149.

IMG_2062.JPG

This one was at rivers edge.

IMG_2064.JPG

Don's map.

fruitloc.jpg

It was an odd day today being so warm. We were walking near Quaker Bridge Road and a female hiker came by wearing a sports bra. It is December! And we crossed the bridge behind the Pleasant Mills church early this morning and walking back across it before 10AM there was a middle aged or older couple there who arrived on a motorcycle making out on the picnic bench next to the church. They should have rented a room it was so intense. Jessica thought they were doing more but I did not see that.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Guy,

good find, two monument is a good day. And I'm sure you know I like these two. Does it call for any monuments on the other side of the river?

Although the deed is squared off for forty acres with no mention of the river, I am thinking the deed should have stopped at the center of the river and took various courses up the river like all the other river front deeds. This is the only East Fruitland deed that crosses the river. Again, I am thinking mistake, even Oriental's survey map, post#44 on The sale of Atsion Furnace shows dash lines on the other side of the river.

Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have to get over there to look. I know the exact location so it is just a matter of going there. I will go early one morning when I get time. I like to go down that road when nobody is coming because I have to fly through the sand to stay on top of it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just realized the photo above with Jessica in it is the wrong one. That is behind the Pleasant Mills Church along the canal. She is on the dirt dug from the canal.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That monument next to the creek looks like it has a pointer on it pointing to the river.Is there a stone in the river? :)

No. That is telling us that the property line goes into the river. You can see that in the photo right above in post 33. That tells me that I need to look on the other side for a stone or something on the SE corner of lot 148.

Reactions: manumuskin