Further South Than Usual

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We headed south today to visit a sawmill that others have mentioned to me. I was looking at it on Lidar and saw a few other things in the area to visit. Our first stop was the sawmill.

DSC_1525a.jpg

DSC_1527a.jpg

I saw a few disturbances nearby but they were nothing of major importance. One was obviously a stone hill that had been mined many years ago. Close by it was this boat.

DSC_1545a.jpg

I would have to assume a hunter camped here and cleared away for a tent?????
DSC_1546a.jpg

We then visited a tar kiln and I dug into the ground in the center. Al, this is one you missed just south west of K91 on your list. Maybe you found it later.

tar.jpg

This shows the ring around it.
DSC_1540a.jpg

I dug in the center and just about three inches down I found this. No evidence of tar.

DSC_1539a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
why are so many sawmills Y shaped trenches?
I wish I knew. I suspect they have two employees removing the sawdust, hence, two channels. That is purely a guess. There has to be someone who knows the true answer to that.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have dug down in several kilns and immediately find charcoal then below that I have encountered clay,looks orange but filthy black with charcoal dirt when I pulled it out.I would suspect tar might be encountered in the barrel hole if any spilled out while removing it? I know in South Carolina they have found tar in the barrel hole so apparently it can last