Garmin map oddities

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been going over the Garmin maps online, and noticed a few odd places mentioned. First the Topo East maps.

Have you ever heard of Rockwood? It is shown on the Garmin Topo SW of Quaker Bridge along the northern edges of the Great Swamp.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/post/rockwood.jpg

It is located around 39°41.660N 74°41.500W.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4393913.00011444&e=526393&datum=nad83

While looking over the Garmin City Select I notice a lake in the middle of Wharton I had never heard of. It is called Lake Broyhill. It is west of Jenkins, and SW of Friendship, and north of Mount.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/post/broyhill.jpg

Maybe one of the lakes of Friendship Bogs, or swamps SW of there?

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&am...00&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
shoobie said:
Some map makers add streets that aren't there, town names, etc. in order to see if others are copying thier material.

I have heard that before, and my question to Garmin is where did they get their info for their maps? In any event, the Rockwood area might be interesting to explore.

Guy

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Garmin Maps

I can recall many years ago that Rockwood used to be on most gas station road maps, with a straight road shown leading to it from Route US 206. For whatever reason I never got around to driving down that road -- perhaps it had a gate or wire rope blocking it off, I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it was more than 25 years back, when the gas station maps were still free! It's funny how these things eventually disappear from most maps.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, here's what it looks like on the topo map as displayed on the 2620 GPS screen:

DSCN2078.jpg

It's interesting that I can't find Lake Broyhill on V5 of City Navigator, and it isn't on the topo map either so far as I can tell. I have not tried looking for it on the PC version though, just the GPS itself. Perhaps it was added to V6. If you've been comparing the maps you have probably already noticed that the water features are really lacking in the City Navigator series. For example, it doesn't even show Atsion Lake on version 5. But I see it in version 6, so maybe an upgrade would be worthwhile?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Guy
Rockwood Road (leading to Rockwood) occasionally has a sign on it depending on the a-hole per square mile density and it is located about a mile north of Chew Road on Rte. 206. It is just past the active blueberry farms that you see on both sides of 206.
Turn down Rockwood Rd. and you will find at least one maybe two occupied homes on the left. When I used to ride mx bikes in the late 70's the one house always had a black lab that would give you a good chase.
Continue in a good ways (1.5 mile+/-) and you will find some old sandstone foundations. There are alot of abandoned bogs on the left as you go down.
It all shows up on the Atsion Quad, including the name Rockwood Road.
The Topozone map that you showed second in your post is Westcoat Bogs that ceased operating in the 40's or 50's.
I have duck hunted there for the last 22 years and it is an amazing array of bogs dug in off of Sleeper Branch.
I was always amazed at how much work went in to creating those bogs with the equipment that was available back then and how remote the location is (4 miles +/- from 206).
The hauling out of the cranberries was a task in itself given the condition of the road in to there.
In the early 80's you needed a submarine/truck to get back there to hunt but the forest fire guys did a major redo about 1990 and filled alot of the slop holes.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott,

I have gone down that road but turned around. I will have to visit it again and continue on it this time. I also will check out the bogs. I may have been there years ago, but I will have to see when I get there if that is true.

With the fall coming I will be checking out the markers you faxed me earlier this year. I have them here now looking at them. The summer is a tough time to search, and for the first time ever I am looking forward to the fall and hopefully a mild winter so I can search.

Thanks again for the info.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Guy
I checked out the area at the beginning of Rockwood road today on the NJDEP imap 2002 digital aerials to refresh my memory.I haven't been back there in a long time.
It looks like two houses on the left as you go in.
These residents are part of the town of Hammonton.I know they're occupied because they put their trash out each week on 206 for pick-up.
As you proceed down the road you will come to a loop about a mile and a half in . That's where the foundations are and you can see them on the Atsion Quad.
I believe the foundations are what's left of Rockwood.
You used to be able to cut south from there and head over to West Mill Rd. but it was bad years ago and I don't know what it's like now.
I still plan on trying to crank out some lat/lons for those stones in Pestletown and I will get them to you when I do.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
RednekF350 said:
Guy
I checked out the area at the beginning of Rockwood road today on the NJDEP imap 2002 digital aerials to refresh my memory.I haven't been back there in a long time.
It looks like two houses on the left as you go in.
These residents are part of the town of Hammonton.I know they're occupied because they put their trash out each week on 206 for pick-up.
As you proceed down the road you will come to a loop about a mile and a half in . That's where the foundations are and you can see them on the Atsion Quad.
I believe the foundations are what's left of Rockwood.
You used to be able to cut south from there and head over to West Mill Rd. but it was bad years ago and I don't know what it's like now.
I still plan on trying to crank out some lat/lons for those stones in Pestletown and I will get them to you when I do.
Scott

I see them on the quad, and will be checking them out sometime soon. I also see the cranberry bogs east of there, which I also hope to check out, and while there I want to see if I can visit the marker just to the right of my vehicle at the below link, which is also right near there :)

Taken May 1978

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/post/5_78.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is also a town just a few tenths of a mile south of Rockwood called West Mills. And the road from 206 to Pleasant Mills is actually called West Mills road. I never noticed that on the quad before.

Scott...I see the road you are talking about between them.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Pretty close! "More Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey," page 216 "Nothin' in Nothin' in Rockwood."
For at Rockwood they told us that cranberries weren't so good, that farming was a washout, and that "there ain't nothin' in nothin'!"

Rockwood is on the State map and may be located not far from Atsion

From appearances, as they are indicated on maps, Rockwood would seem to have importance equal to some of the other towns. Following the woods road cut through the scrub oak and pine, protected by cedar water ditches on either side, we found a cluster of buildings, perhaps three or four of them dwellings, a mere cranberry settlement

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, I read that chapter and one section in particular seems to be calling me back there this fall and winter. You can guess why this interests me.

Page 218

The Fords knew little of the history of Rockwood. They had never bothered to find out. What they told us, they assume after surveying a MARKER bearing the name of C. G. Rockwood, the original owner, with a date of 1871.

Looks like I am going to have to find a way to get my car there!!!!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
True...but I will most likely need many multiple visits, so I will be working my way there in the near future.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
So which is it?

So then..is rockwood here:

or here:

:think:

I've just recently begun exploring this area. Is this sleepy creek road?

I was recently wheelin' back there, and got stuck while attempting to ford a large puddle..or was it a stream? Which leads to me to another, albeit irrelevant question: Is it legal to ford streams in a veichle? I saw no signs indicating it was impermissible to cross this stream...but am curious.

Thanks