G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
http://www.worldcat.org/title/frenc...el-garoutte-and-his-descendants/oclc/13796571
If this chronolgy is true He may be buried in Pemberton? I think your family is as crazy as mine.

Dude look at this:

http://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/5/55/Garoutte-128-5.jpg

As you can see in that document it says he is buried in pleasant mills. The book says pemberton. Which one is it. Gosh.

If the record is true then I guess it says he is in plot #25. It says 25 on the record. Is that what it means?

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
I wouldn't even know where to get cemetery plot records.We found my wifes great grandmother at a huge cemetery in Upper darby,PA by going to the office and having them pull the map and records out but these cemeteries have no office.The one at Pleasnat Mills has a used church there so maybe if you could contact the church they might have records? The church in Estellville has been unused for a long time and is basically a historical landmark now with no one there.Don't where you'd get the records for that one? If you can get the records and send me a lot number or map I may be able to find it and get you a photo. I"ll even run up to Pemberton if you find out where it's at. Are you the only one looking for this guys stone? I have many kin that no one else seems to care about but their all within the last century or so.By the time you get back over 100 years or so you usually run into cousins that are out there looking for or already found what your looking for to help you. Does he have family buried around Him? That may be a help.If his stone is illegible I may be able to locate it by surrounding kin.His daughter would probably have different surnames.

I will have to call around on Monday then to see if I can get a hold of the church in Pleasant Mills. I called the Batsto Museum guys and he said no one is ever at the church anymore. I tried to get their phone number on google and nothing. You said you live real close perhaps you could find the number for me?

Edit: I found the phone number on findagrave: 609-561-7682

Will call tomorrow to see.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Dude look at this:

http://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/5/55/Garoutte-128-5.jpg

As you can see in that document it says he is buried in pleasant mills. The book says pemberton. Which one is it. Gosh.

If the record is true then I guess it says he is in plot #25. It says 25 on the record. Is that what it means?
Now to figure out where plot 25 is.I noticed plot corner markers while there but the were letters and seemed to reflect the first letter of the surnames buried in said plot.Perhaps if i look closer I"ll find some kind of markers with numbers on them.?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I will have to call around on Monday then to see if I can get a hold of the church in Pleasant Mills. I called the Batsto Museum guys and he said no one is ever at the church anymore. I tried to get their phone number on google and nothing. You said you live real close perhaps you could find the number for me?

I actually live almost an hour from Pleasant Mills and in the next county south so i don't have a phone book for that county. I was going to get married by the preacher of that church to the wife I have now 18 years ago.I wanted to get married on the banks of the Nescohague about a five minute walk upstream from the church but the woman preacher told us I needed to go to marriage counseling first.We decided at over 30 years of age neither one of us needed a woman not much older then were were to tell us how to act when we were married so I got my Uncle to marry us,his health wasn't good so he wasn't up to the woods walk but he married us in Richland Fire hall.I know i have road by that church a year or two ago and seen a bunch of people parked there.If the church is done then they need to fix the bridge behind it and reopen the road to vehicles.That road has been closed for maybe ten years because the wench that was the preacher whined that trucks going by were disturbing her services.The road is a sand road and passes right through the parking area of the church,within 40 ft of the building itself but still it was a public road and a through road between 542 and 206.She had no business getting it closed down. I believe the church is still in use but not sure,the parking lot isn't growing up with bushes and the church still appears in good condition. If you can get them on the phone and they say they have a map or records and can help me locate it I"ll be your ground guy and go get pics.I"m on disability for at least a few more weeks so i have the time.Once back to work I"ll still go on a day off.

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
Much obliged. Just so you know I have been told I don't have any common sense so I hope you don't mind that.

One of these days if I get the money I will go out to that haunted town and camp. I saw on youtube it is very likely to hear cannon fire and revolutionary war era sounds and people have seen ghosts. Would be nice to experience that.

Edit: I just read about the Jersey Devil which is a Cryptid animal in the pines there. That's very interesting!

Edit #2: Now I'm wondering if Garoutte had ever sighted The Jersey Devil.

Last edited:

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
Now to figure out where plot 25 is.I noticed plot corner markers while there but the were letters and seemed to reflect the first letter of the surnames buried in said plot.Perhaps if i look closer I"ll find some kind of markers with numbers on them.?

I have no idea. I was assuming the 25 meant the plot # I don't even know for sure. I will call them tomorrow maybe they will be there doing a service. Hopefully it is the correct phone #. I called a minute ago and there wasn't even a voicemail.

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
I actually live almost an hour from Pleasant Mills and in the next county south so i don't have a phone book for that county. I was going to get married by the preacher of that church to the wife I have now 18 years ago.I wanted to get married on the banks of the Nescohague about a five minute walk upstream from the church but the woman preacher told us I needed to go to marriage counseling first.We decided at over 30 years of age neither one of us needed a woman not much older then were were to tell us how to act when we were married so I got my Uncle to marry us,his health wasn't good so he wasn't up to the woods walk but he married us in Richland Fire hall.I know i have road by that church a year or two ago and seen a bunch of people parked there.If the church is done then they need to fix the bridge behind it and reopen the road to vehicles.That road has been closed for maybe ten years because the wench that was the preacher whined that trucks going by were disturbing her services.The road is a sand road and passes right through the parking area of the church,within 40 ft of the building itself but still it was a public road and a through road between 542 and 206.She had no business getting it closed down. I believe the church is still in use but not sure,the parking lot isn't growing up with bushes and the church still appears in good condition. If you can get them on the phone and they say they have a map or records and can help me locate it I"ll be your ground guy and go get pics.I"m on disability for at least a few more weeks so i have the time.Once back to work I"ll still go on a day off.

Lol I just had a brilliant idea! I had planned on having a portrait of Garoutte painted with him and his ships and another one with him in his tavern maybe smoking a pipe and wearing colonial clothing. Now after researching The Jersey Devil I think I will have The Jersey Devil painted into the background as an easter egg!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am descended from Leeds.I think I may be cousins to the Devils dad but haven't researched it yet.The Devil was a Leeds.I don't believe in the jersey devil myself and I"ve spent many a night in the heart of the Barrens and have never saw it but yes the devil is a big deal around here.People hold devil hunts and all such nonsense.Search this site.many posts on the jersey devil here. PS I"ve also been told my whole life I have no common sense.Never smoked a cigarette or took a drink or did any recreational drugs in my life and I"m often told I have no common sense by people that have spent most of their life high and drunk.I know people my age that are now dead or close to it from treating themselves like that.I"m 52 and the Doc just told me I might have bad eyes but i have the heart of a 30 year old.Who doesn't have any common sense now.

Reactions: bobpbx

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
I am descended from Leeds.I think I may be cousins to the Devils dad but haven't researched it yet.The Devil was a Leeds.I don't believe in the jersey devil myself and I"ve spent many a night in the heart of the Barrens and have never saw it but yes the devil is a big deal around here.People hold devil hunts and all such nonsense.Search this site.many posts on the jersey devil here. PS I"ve also been told my whole life I have no common sense.Never smoked a cigarette or took a drink or did any recreational drugs in my life and I"m often told I have no common sense by people that have spent most of their life high and drunk.I know people my age that are now dead or close to it from treating themselves like that.I"m 52 and the Doc just told me I might have bad eyes but i have the heart of a 30 year old.Who doesn't have any common sense now.

Lol you're a funny dude! I like you bro!

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ

I am sure they still have Sunday morning service. There was a sign in front that had the hours on it and all are welcome.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
From a deed dated Nov. 23rd, 1825
Samuel Ashcraft and wife to Samuel Goldsmith

Conveys a tract of pine land, situate in the Township of Galloway County of Gloucester, being a part of a tract of land which the said Samuel Ashcraft purchased of John Wiltsey by deed dated the 19th, May 1804. Beginning at a post one foot south of four small gums standing on the Southwesterly side of Tanvat Branch; thence S. 80°30W. 33. - chs. touching the lower corner of the said Samuel Goldsmith ten acres survey to a large pine standing in a fork of the road leading from Pleasant Mills to Indian Cabin, marked for a corner; thence (2) along the main road (1)N.32° E. 16 - chs. (2) N. 14° E. 7.50 chs. thence to a pine stump in the run on the west side of the road near the La Fayette Tavern; thence along the Forks road the general course being S. 60° E. 25 - chs. to the cold spring in the edge of Tanvat Branch; thence up the said branch the several courses there of to the beginning.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Found this too:

"Being a lot of land, tavern house...situate in Atlantic County known as Pleasant Mills Hotel containing about 13 acres which was conveyed to said Nicholas S. Thompson by Gibson Ashcraft..."

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California

Conveys a tract of pine land, situate in the Township of Galloway County of Gloucester, being a part of a tract of land which the said Samuel Ashcraft purchased of John Wiltsey by deed dated the 19th, May 1804. Beginning at a post one foot south of four small gums standing on the Southwesterly side of Tanvat Branch; thence S. 80°30W. 33. - chs. touching the lower corner of the said Samuel Goldsmith ten acres survey to a large pine standing in a fork of the road leading from Pleasant Mills to Indian Cabin, marked for a corner; thence (2) along the main road (1)N.32° E. 16 - chs. (2) N. 14° E. 7.50 chs. thence to a pine stump in the run on the west side of the road near the La Fayette Tavern; thence along the Forks road the general course being S. 60° E. 25 - chs. to the cold spring in the edge of Tanvat Branch; thence up the said branch the several courses there of to the beginning.

No way! I was right!

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California

Did you get a picture?

G.C.Johnson

Scout
Aug 4, 2016
California
What were you right about?

The 1825 document proves that there was a Tavern on the road from Pleasant Mills to Indian Cabin that was named The La Fayette. That with the entry in the book Iron in the Pines that details Garoutte's Stage Line Route and his route stopping back at his Tavern and Inn on the Pleasant Mills Tract is definitive proof that his Tavern was named The La Fayette Tavern.

But can I get a picture of that 1825 document?