Garvey races are back

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
First race on 6/26.

http://www.jerseyoutlaws.com/

Jersey speed skiff below, taken at the last Toms River race in 2008.

101812571.jpg

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
This is NOT the first race. It is the first race held by the breakaway organization using the name Jersey Outlaws. The orginal (mid 1950's) club , The East Coast Boat Racing Club that evolved from the old New Jersey Speed Garvey Racing Association held a race eariler in the year at Ship Bottom. The ECRBC is the only club that is legally allowed to use the registered name Jersey Outlaws.
It really pains me to see a part of South Jersey heritage torn apart by egos and political infighting. I have heard so many different stories as to why this happened, I am still trying to figure out the "good guys". When it comes down to the essence of the dispute, it really seems like the old sandbox argument of childhood days: "I don't like your rules so my friends are going to take our toys and go home."
There has been so much nastiness posted on boat racing forums and attempts at subtle sabotage of events on race days, I hope that Garvey Racing survives this needless rift.
The split has resulted in races where only eight or nine boats show up. Compare this to the glory days when racers in the 300 Stock Class alone would number in the teens!
Here is a link to the ECRBC web site with their schedule: http://clubwebsecbrcnj.tripod.com/

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't care about the politics. Looking at the link you posted, the schedule for the other site appears to have more races in several good locations for spectators, compared to the ones for ECRBC, and thats what I care about. My pic was from the ECRBC race on the Toms River in Beachwood; a great event, large crowd, but they never came back.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I had no doubt that your photo was from an ECRBC event since no other garvey racing organization was staging races at that time.
So, if I get what you're saying right, to you it doesn't matter that one organization illegally uses a registered name, splits up a historic racing club, and posts libelous comments about other racers as long as it's convenient for you to watch. That says a lot.
It's not at all unusual for the ECRBC, APBA, or OPA to skip a venue for a couple of years. A lot depends on the permit process and securing permission from the NJMP and USCG.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
So, if I get what you're saying right, to you it doesn't matter that one organization illegally uses a registered name, splits up a historic racing club, and posts libelous comments about other racers as long as it's convenient for you to watch.

I'm not a member of either group and have nothing but your comments, so yes, the club politics do not matter to me, and probably they don't matter to most of the folks that go to the events. IF things are being done that are illegal, take it to the courts. IF a group wants to draw folks to their event, they have to make it convenient, especially on a weekend at the shore in the summer. I take it you belong to the ECRBC? If so, good luck getting to some common ground.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I belong to NEITHER group but both talk to me frequently. I am a fan that has watched these races since the early 1960's.
As far as having nothing but my comments to go on, the postings I mentioned are very easily found and disturbing to say the least if one has the slightest trace of a sense of ethics and common courtesy.
Courts = lawyers = $$$$ and this is something the offended party has very little of to mount a defense of their registered and knowingly illegally used name.
Can't get much more convenient to draw a crowd than Beach Haven bayside with ample parking.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have a friend who does these races. Not sure if he's still racing anymore, though.

I worked with a woman whose brother was heavily involved in racing the speed skiffs, their boat was named the Blue Goose JS-88, she was part owner. He did very well with it, beautiful boat. He then built another Blue Goose a couple of years later.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I've seen that JS many times over the years.
I love the APBA sanctioned events because they tend to attract a large entry of skiffs sometimes necessitating a number of heats before the final. The APBA skiffs are all "cage" boats with the driver and rider strapped in, protected from behind by a cage.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I still remember the the one "winging" and going well into the woods at Lake Lenape, Mays Landing.
Another time, as a kid out with my Dad at the Ship Bottom races, JS-008 "Daddy's Honey" got WAY up in the air, came down hard with a huge splash, when the spray died down all that was to be seen was two confused but uninjured guys in life jackets and lots of tiny fragments floating around.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
Erik - I was away on a lengthy vacation and did not come across your posting until today. Steve Adams and Bill Irving of the ECBRC would be able to provide you with a wealth of info and history. Bill had one of, if not THE, first all fiberglass racing garveys and Steve is the current president of the original and historic organization.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just noticed a certain person named Gary Stanecki is now using one of my photos from Atco Raceway for his profile pic on Facebook. Reminded me of this thread.

Are you going to question him about it or do you not mind? How does it remind you of this thread?

Guy