$2.03 this AM for regular, didn't notice diesel
Read the post and wondered what it was
Then forgot to look on the way home

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Why does diesel cost more then gas?

Because diesel gets better fuel mileage and folks started buying diesel vehicles and the tax is higher. Stations gotta watch the profit margin.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Because diesel gets better fuel mileage and folks started buying diesel vehicles and the tax is higher. Stations gotta watch the profit margin.

I thought diesel mileage sucked.I know when I was NJARNG and was a five ton driver those trucks got like 6 mpg .Drove em across Saudi Arabia and Iraq and they ate some fuel.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I'm sure registration on my motorcycles is $85 each. Because they get 55 & 70mpg, the state ups the registration to make up for the $ (taxes) that I save over driving my car @13 mpg

Reactions: Wick

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I thought diesel mileage sucked.I know when I was NJARNG and was a five ton driver those trucks got like 6 mpg .Drove em across Saudi Arabia and Iraq and they ate some fuel.

Diesel mileage in the older diesel engines like my 7.3 (444 cu. inch) is very good Al, significantly better than with a gas engine. My truck weighs about 8,000 lbs empty and still gets 20-21 mpg all the time, even with 234,000 miles on the clock. I have a 6 speed manual trans in it too which helps with the mileage. The 5.4 gas and V-10 gas which were the other options for my truck when I bought it, get roughly 14 mpg and 11 mpg respectively. With my 38 gallon standard fuel tank, I can run my truck 760 miles to empty. A 5.4 gasser on the other hand can run 532 miles. From a road trip prospective, I can drive 4 more hours and over 200 miles further than the gasser. I go to my buddy's hunting camp in North Rome Pa, 205 miles from my driveway and come back again and still have about 18 gallons of fuel left in the tank.

Diesel engines are generally more efficient and run a very long time because they produce their peak torque at very low rpms which is why they are used in large trucks and equipment. My peak torque is at 1650 rpms, only 1,000 rpms over idle. My motor was nicknamed the Million Mile Motor and it will probably get there. My truck body won't be there with it though. :)

Heres an account of a 1.3 million mile 7.3 with my same 6 speed transmission.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I'm sure registration on my motorcycles is $85 each. Because they get 55 & 70mpg, the state ups the registration to make up for the $ (taxes) that I save over driving my car @13 mpg

I complained about this to the DMV clerk once. She said it had nothing to do with gas taxes or the weight of the vehicle. She said we pay more as motorcyclists because we utilized the medevac helicopter the most.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Diesel mileage in the older diesel engines like my 7.3 (444 cu. inch) is very good Al, significantly better than with a gas engine. My truck weighs about 8,000 lbs empty and still gets 20-21 mpg all the time, even with 234,000 miles on the clock. I have a 6 speed manual trans in it too which helps with the mileage. The 5.4 gas and V-10 gas which were the other options for my truck when I bought it, get roughly 14 mpg and 11 mpg respectively. With my 38 gallon standard fuel tank, I can run my truck 760 miles to empty. A 5.4 gasser on the other hand can run 532 miles. From a road trip prospective, I can drive 4 more hours and over 200 miles further than the gasser. I go to my buddy's hunting camp in North Rome Pa, 205 miles from my driveway and come back again and still have about 18 gallons of fuel left in the tank.

Diesel engines are generally more efficient and run a very long time because they produce their peak torque at very low rpms which is why they are used in large trucks and equipment. My peak torque is at 1650 rpms, only 1,000 rpms over idle. My motor was nicknamed the Million Mile Motor and it will probably get there. My truck body won't be there with it though. :)

Heres an account of a 1.3 million mile 7.3 with my same 6 speed transmission.

Scott is correct, diesel mileage is far superior to a gas engine in a comparable vehicle simply because a diesel makes more power efficiently. Diesel uses less fuel because its able to run leaner, atomizes the fuel more efficiently and uses super heated air from compression to ignite the fuel. On the intake stroke, cool air is drawn and forced into the cylinder by the cool side of the turbo (if turbo'd), on compression the air in the cylinder is compressed by the piston and is super heated to over 400 degrees, fuel is then injected at a much higher PSI than gas injectors, at the top of the compression stroke and the super hot air ignites it.Gas engines create an air/fuel mix on intake and compress it then it is ignited by secondary ignition (spark plugs) making for a richer fuel ratio and less efficient atomization and burn = using more fuel for less power. It also has do do with combustion chamber design, compression ratio and many more variances between the two, but the above is enough to bore everyone to death!
The reason Al's military 5 ton seems fuel "inefficient" is the sheer mass of the truck, 10 wheel drive, probably hauling a heavy load and breathing sand. With those variables, 6 MPG seems OK.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Scott is correct, diesel mileage is far superior to a gas engine in a comparable vehicle simply because a diesel makes more power efficiently. Diesel uses less fuel because its able to run leaner, atomizes the fuel more efficiently and uses super heated air from compression to ignite the fuel. On the intake stroke, cool air is drawn and forced into the cylinder by the cool side of the turbo (if turbo'd), on compression the air in the cylinder is compressed by the piston and is super heated to over 400 degrees, fuel is then injected at a much higher PSI than gas injectors, at the top of the compression stroke and the super hot air ignites it.Gas engines create an air/fuel mix on intake and compress it then it is ignited by secondary ignition (spark plugs) making for a richer fuel ratio and less efficient atomization and burn = using more fuel for less power. It also has do do with combustion chamber design, compression ratio and many more variances between the two, but the above is enough to bore everyone to death!
The reason Al's military 5 ton seems fuel "inefficient" is the sheer mass of the truck, 10 wheel drive, probably hauling a heavy load and breathing sand. With those variables, 6 MPG seems OK.
our trucks weighed over 26,000 lbs and yes we had to blow the air filters out every day

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe