'Ghost of the Pines' documentary

Aug 6, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I was watching an old Jersey Devil documentary from NJN and also found this in the process. The description is "The story of towns and houses abandoned in the New Jersey Pinelands. Includes a discussion of Ong's Hat, New Jersey, a town founded in the late 1600's to early 1700s. The town was named after Jacob Ong and is now considered to be a ghost town. "

http://www.njvid.net/showvideo.php?pid=njcore:16572&retc=njcore00000000028

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Nice movie.Think I seen it ages ago at least the Herman city footage of it.Never met Bud before,wonder if he still looks like that?That appears to be the 70's,good hairdo's poor video equipment.Really liked the Harrisville footage. Hard to understand that fellow at Catawba.Did he say there is a millstone still down there somewhere?I found the old stone shown in the pic.I don't imagine he's here with us anymore.Never heard of a haunted stone before though i have known a few that could hide:)
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
no one lives in Crowleytown to my knowledge.It is all abandoned and owned by the state.They have a picnic area and boat launch there now.You can still find a few foundations and pieces of glass made there but not much else.There are a few newer houses up 542 a ways and the marina but none of those houses are part of the original crowleytown to my knowledge.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
no one lives in Crowleytown to my knowledge.It is all abandoned and owned by the state.They have a picnic area and boat launch there now.You can still find a few foundations and pieces of glass made there but not much else.There are a few newer houses up 542 a ways and the marina but none of those houses are part of the original crowleytown to my knowledge.
Just alittle more info

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~batsto/Towns/Crowleytown/Crowleytown.html

Aug 6, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I've been to the picnic area/boat launch multiple times. One time my friends and I sat out there one night and some boat kept randomly shining its lights at us. So we shined our high beams back at them. I wish I knew where some of the buildings/houses stood around there.

Andy:

Here is a detail that covers Crowleytown from the 1849 Otley and Whiteford Burlington County map:

Crowleytown_Detail_1849_Burlington_County_Map.jpg

The black squares will provide you with the location of the various houses associated with the community.

Henry Bisbee reports the following about Crowleytown

CROWLEYTOWN (Washington Township). Site of a village on Mullica River between Batsto and Herman. It is part of the Wharton State Forest and is now called Crowleys Landing. According to the map Samuel Crowley lived here prior to 1849. In 1851 Crowley built the first of two glass houses which made glass bottles. The name Crowleytown first appears ont he 1859 map and was named after Crowley who became postmaster in 1862. The place has the honor of making the first Mason jars.

On November 30, 1858, John Landis Mason of New York City, took out his first patent for the “Improved Jar.” the famous legend, “Masons’ Patent, November 30, 1858,” was to be inscribed on glass jars for the next three-quarters of a century. The metal tops, which were covered by the patent, were made in New York while the jars were ordered from glass blowers.

The first producer of Mason jars was Samuel Crowley of Crowleytown. It is said that Clayton Parker, Crowley’s glass blower, blew the first jar. Around 1862 the factory was sold to a New York group who renamed it the “Atlantic Glass Works.” The factory was abandoned in 1866 after a series of fires.

After Crowley sold out he built another glass house at nearby Bulltown. Here bottle glass, jugs and demijohns were blown from 1858 to 1870. (Sign Posts: Place Names in History of Burlington County, N.J. 1971:64-65).

Here is the 1859 (actually 1858) map to which Bisbee refers:

Crowleytown_Detail_1858_Burlington_County_Map.jpg

If you have additional questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: AndyParker856nj

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jersyeman,
Was not John landis mason the one who gave Landis Ave. in Vineland it's name?I remember reading in I believe "Lighthouse to Leeward" that he had something to do with founding Vineland to make his mason jars???

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Jerseyman, thanks for the great information. Your map collection must be incredible! What was used to seal the lids during that time period? Was it wax or did the two piece lid rest tightly against the glass without a sealer of some sort?

Jersyeman,
Was not John landis mason the one who gave Landis Ave. in Vineland it's name?I remember reading in I believe "Lighthouse to Leeward" that he had something to do with founding Vineland to make his mason jars???

Al:

You are thinking of Charles K. Landis, not John Landis Mason. I am not certain of any direct familial connection between the two men. Mason was actually born in the area that became Vineland, but long before Landis established the community.

Be careful when reading anything by Mints—she means well, but often gets things wrong.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman, thanks for the great information. Your map collection must be incredible! What was used to seal the lids during that time period? Was it wax or did the two piece lid rest tightly against the glass without a sealer of some sort?

Gibby:

John L. Mason was a tinsmith by trade, so the whole thought behind inventing the Mason Jar was to form threads on the neck on to which a zinc lid could be screwed. The vacuum formed by placing the lidded jars in hot water was enough to create an air-tight seal.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I thank you again. I was confused because I recall seeing jars embosed with his name and the word improved on the side, but the lid consisted of a glass cap that fit inside of the tin threads. The tin outer piece was then use to secure the glass lid in place. The two pieces combined made the lid. I didn't know that the top was entirely made of tin and what I saw was something different. I got the the original lid confused with a Boyd cap.

Gibby:

I found myself dissatisfied with my response to you yesterday, so after conducting some additional research in my library, I can tell you that Mason employed a rubber ring seal from the inception of his invention. The zinc lid still provided a vacuum seal when the canner inserted the bottle into hot water, but the rubber ring protected that vacuum seal from atmospheric loss.

I should have conducted a more thorough investigation before responding, but time is always my greatest antagonist!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Jerseyman for setting me straight.
If I remember right and it's been awhile I do not remember any cellar holes though I may have missed some not having the map with me Jersyman posted.That would have been a help.There were the remains though slight of above ground foundations,bricks and such and the remains of a lot of glass scattered around,obviously old glass no doubt made on site.Across the road at the Buttonwood Hill campsite on the hill by that big old tree I think I found a brick or two.I believe that to be the site of the tavern.Behind that tree and down in the swamp is the start of the old raod that ran from Crowleytown straight through Mordecai swamp to Batsto.It is fairly easy to follow in the swamp but getsbriared up everytime it approaches high ground and is lost easily in these spots and on the islands in the swamp but if you circle these you can always pick it up again on the other side.I know there is a post on here somewhere of a hike Ben did along this road.I found it quite by accident at about the same time just island hopping across the swamp.It is quite an impressive road with huge cedars growing smack in the middle of it in a few places.
Al

Reactions: AndyParker856nj

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
A century and a half has proven John Mason's design to be done well - little has changed with his threaded jar and lid. Thanks as always and yes, there is never enough time. ;)