Ghost Stories of the Pines

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
NJ and the pines need a new monster / ghost story. The NJ devil never scarred anybody. My two year laughs at drawings of Misses Leads 13th child.
How about one of us starts new story and where the previous person leaves off, the next person continues?

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Lorun said:
NJ and the pines need a new monster / ghost story. The NJ devil never scarred anybody. My two year laughs at drawings of Misses Leads 13th child.
How about one of us starts new story and where the previous person leaves off, the next person continues?

Well it may have not scared anyone in recent times but several books I read have stated that some schools and businesses closed down one week in the 1800s.

I can imagine reporting to work and hearing "GO HOME" The Devil is nearby. Some how I don't think that would fly today :wink:

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
I forgot about that. I rented a short documentary from the Gloucester County Library "Missis Leeds 13th Child". The closings were mentioned in that documentary.

I showed my 2 year old a picture of the NJ Devil and she told me that it was silly.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Lorun said:
I forgot about that. I rented a short documentary from the Gloucester County Library "Missis Leeds 13th Child". The closings were mentioned in that documentary.

I showed my 2 year old a picture of the NJ Devil and she told me that it was silly.

Was the documentary any good?

Ken

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
It was all right. They told one or two stories about people having a NJ devil experience that I did not hear before. The library also had a short documentary on the pines. That was less interesting.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Lorun said:
It was all right. They told one or two stories about people having a NJ devil experience that I did not hear before. The library also had a short documentary on the pines. That was less interesting.

I often wonder how the creators of the 13th Child could have fouled up such a good story that dates back so far and was so popular.

You would think that this could've been a great horror story.

There seems to be no middle-ground on horror movies; they're either great or horrible.

Ken

opq

Jul 17, 2004
Waterford Works, NJ
njvike said:
opq said:
What about the Atco Ghost at the end of Burnt Mill?

There's always dorks looking for that one on any given Fri/Sat night.

I've never heard of that one. How far back does this one date back to?

Ken

I would say 30 years perhaps?

Here are two interesting links:

http://www.sjpr.org/atcocem.html
http://atcoghost.com/

There's things all over the web about it.

It's funny how the uninitated describe how the road turns into a "tree tunnel", a scary dirt road etc.

Because Burnt Mill, by pine barrens standards, is a superhighway of a dirt road. It's 15-20 feet wide and clear straight through. I'de like to show some of these people a -real- "tree tunnel" some time ;)

Oh and I've regularly ventured down it in the middle of the night and have never encountered paranormal. What I -have- encountered, which is scarier imho, is drunken hicks and wackos. One time two summers ago I was back there with some friends at 2am night hiking and we ended up being shot at and running for our lives.

Fun stuff.

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Is a "tree tunnel" road the same as a "canopy road". where trees growing on both sides spread branches so as to shade the entire roadway? That kind of so-named road is common in this part of Central Florida, and there are often signs at the beginning of each section advising motorists of the approaching canopy road (why that's necessary, I don't know).

The forums have been very quiet over the past three days. Could it be because Renee's postings are missing from the site?

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Sometimes the tree cover can make the road so dark that if you have sunglasses on you may have difficulty seeing.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I've been back by Burnt Mill a few times look for the famous ghost, never seen anything strange. I have asked plenty of people and even looked in town records and there is actually nothing on file of a boy getting hit and killed on the road.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
How about using the story by McMahon in his Pine Barrens: Legends, Lore and Lies about the ghost at Wheatland. I did some research on this legend of a spectral haunting at the "Pasadena Terra Cotta Co." (actually, the Brooksbrae Brick Works), and found that there is a historical basis to the story.
There was an unfortunate demise at the factory when two Polish-emigres were claimed by a house fire. It turns out that just after some migrant railroad workers held a strike blocking the railroad at Brooksbrae, the brick company sent a caretaker out to keep watch over the factory. He and his wife were only there a single chilly night. Due to the chill of the night, the caretaker lit a fire in the house's stove, completely unaware that the flue was clogged. During the night carbon monoxide backed up into the place and suffocated the couple in their sleep, and the resultant chimney fire razed the remainder of the house. It was not until some cranberry bog workers at Bullock noticed the smoke rising above the trees the next morning that anyone knew what had happened. The State Police investigated claims of foul-play and dismissed the case as a simple chimney fire.
The locals, however, had a different take on the tale. This version was recorded in both Beck's Forgotten Towns, and in McMahon's Legends,etc... In fact, a story about this haunting also wound up in Weird NJ. But, who knows if the place really is haunted or not. Either way, it makes for an interesting story.
Scott W.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That reminds me of the tragedy at Lebanon Forest Campsites a couple miles from Pasadena. A newly married young couple used charcoal briquets to heat the inside of the tent. They were found dead in the tent the next day.