Ghost Tracks

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I wonder if the tracks were originally laid that close to the surf or is just representative of eroding beaches?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I agree. The ocean giveth and taketh away. Ship wrecks are covered and then after a storm are uncovered to once again be covered. However with rising sea level ultimately the ocean taketh away. Good example is the continual and costly waste of taxpayer money dredging sand onto the beaches then trying to "justify" the ongoing as beneficial for tourist dollars. Really? I think we all know the definition of insanity.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Erosion. The Cape May Bunker was 900 ft from the ocean in 1942. Each year on our dolphin trip around the Cape the guide tells us we are sailing over a town.

Reactions: MikeBickerson

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There is a lot of history and mystery buried beneath the sands. The bones of a vessel uncovered after a nor'easter in March 2004, then covered after a subsequent one. Note it came from under the dunes. A friend found a hefty, and I do mean hefty, piece of beat up gold after Sandy's passing on a beach near Lavalette.

The unidentified bones, never seen again;

27228266.jpg

27228268.jpg

Reactions: MikeBickerson
I was thinking about heading down to see this last weekend. The pictures of folks who went kind of make me glad I didn't, it was a madhouse down there.

Someone got clever and took some shots at night, with some helpers pointing a flashlight to stand in for the train light. It was a really nice picture.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This storm may uncover more, or bury them all again. A friend of my son created the picture of which you speak. Others have done similar in the past.