Ghosts!

B

bach2yoga

Barry,

I was researching a b&b in Cape May that Joe and I will be staying in that is reportedly haunted. (I also came across haunting info re: LBI area inadvertently. I'm not really into hauntings, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless). Anyway, I found this--remember we visited Higbees Beach year before last? We should have gone to the beach area too, not just the field!!! (where I got my first case of horrid chiggers!)

City: Cape May
Type of Phenomena: Visiting Spirit
Manifestation: The image of a African American, believed to be a slave from the past, is said to walk these sandy beaches.
Directions: On the bay side of Cape May near the lighthouse

Cool story, huh?

Renee

B

BarryC

Hey, that is cool. Thanks!
bach2yoga said:
Barry,

I was researching a b&b in Cape May that Joe and I will be staying in that is reportedly haunted. (I also came across haunting info re: LBI area inadvertently. I'm not really into hauntings, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless). Anyway, I found this--remember we visited Higbees Beach year before last? We should have gone to the beach area too, not just the field!!! (where I got my first case of horrid chiggers!)

City: Cape May
Type of Phenomena: Visiting Spirit
Manifestation: The image of a African American, believed to be a slave from the past, is said to walk these sandy beaches.
Directions: On the bay side of Cape May near the lighthouse

Cool story, huh?

Renee

B

bach2yoga

njvike said:
Higbeee is/was also a nudist beach. Not sure if it changed.

It's Nature Conserve property now for the migrating birds. Don't think they'd like nudist there! :lol:
Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bach2yoga said:
It's Nature Conserve property now for the migrating birds. Don't think they'd like nudist there! :lol:
Renee

The birds wear clothes???? :? :wink:

:D Heh heh! You're funny!! My kids love that book "Animals should definitely not wear clothes"!
:bounce:

Renee

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
William Bennett appeared near mainland Barnegat in Ocean County in the early 1700s, built himself a shanty, and spent days fishing, hunting and berry picking. According to legend he is buried in the nearby pines. The same legend connects him directly to a more exciting encounter with notorious Captain William Kidd. Captain Kidd was captured May 1701, and tried in London for piracy. Seven of his crew were found guilty and were hung. Three were declared innocent because they pleaded that they had been sold as apprentices to the Captain. Robert Lumley, William Jenkins, and Richard Varlicorn were released to sin no more. Of the three, William Jenkins returned to America and headed for the Jersey coast. Some say he was in search for gold Captain Kidd allegedly buried on the shore.
Jersey legend has it that Bennett and Jenkins were the same man. The place where he built his shack came to be known as Bennett's Neck, located about a mile south of Barnegat on the main Shore Road to Manahawkin. Some people trampling the woodlands in that vicinity have reported seeing a shadowy figure apparently searching for something.

http://www.ash.udel.edu/ash/exhibit/mmiele/PineBarrens.html