Got Stranded

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
BigRedEye said:
In response to Boyd's post, if a vehicle stalls after going through a puddle, sometimes you can get it going again by removing the distributor cap, if it has a distributor, and spraying inside the cap with WD-40, then reinstalling it.
Any moisture displacing spray; like LPS 25 works too.

BigRedEye

Scout
Mar 28, 2006
jersey shore
water

I meant when the distributor gets wet from water splashed up from a puddle beneath the vehicle. (Or steam like BEHR655 said. Steam is just water in a different state)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The dumbest thing I ever did in my life occurred in 1978. I had a 1975 Jeep CJ-5. It had the Levis trim. Me, my buddy and his wife used to park next to the West branch of the Wading river, in between Godfrey's Bridge and the next bridge (Hawkins?). We would swim in the river, drink beer, and once in awhile sneak up on canoeists with our heads covered in reeds, and make moaning sounds. The girls would freak.

Anyway, big shot me decided to park in the bog right next to the river, thought I'd never get stuck. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Uh, "Breaker 1-9, Break, Break! Can anyone hear me, please come pull me out!" 45 minutes of that, and two guys from Browns Mills found me. They were the officers of a Landcruiser 4 wheeling club. Pulled me out, and I bought them sandwiches and beers at Mayos.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
piker56 said:
His pay? He told me to help someone else if I had the chance. It's advice I've tried to follow.

When I first moved to the pine barrens my motorcycle had "mechanical issues" and I broke down on several occasions. In those situations I recieved aid from someone (usually a lift way out in the woods) and I heard that exact same phrase from several people. I took it to heart and to date have helped out (pulled out) about 7 or 8 people, and I wouldn't accept $ but passed that phrase/condition along.

When I told my wife about this recent event and the people I met, she said it was good karma comming back to me. It is a good system. When they wouldn't take cash I gave those guys my business card with my # on it and told them if they ever needed a favor to give me a call. Maybe someday I will be pulling them out of a mud hole.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bobpbx said:
They were the officers of a Landcruiser 4 wheeling club. Pulled me out, and I bought them sandwiches and beers at Mayos.

Landcruisers saving the day once again :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your adventure even though it does make for an interesting post :)

Even the most innocent looking puddle should be carefully checked out. I have posted these examples before.

This first photo is after the fact but it seems innocent enough.

1979C.JPG

This is what happened when I tried to go through it.

Pondering the situation.

1979A.JPG

1979.JPG

This hole looks innocent enough.

1979B.JPG

My wheel is off the ground from that hole.

WheelInAir.JPG

Guy

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
About 15 years ago my friends car broke down right in the middle of wharton we spent the night and started walking in the morning.I had a few beers the night before and was thirsty when we started,by the time we got to the Batsto I just stuck my face in and drank my fill.I did not get sick but I would not recommend it.
A bottle of water purification tabs can come in real handy.