Governers Hill

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A bit of a dated post. Back in the mid ninties I used to ride in the area that was later to become the NJORV park. When I used to ride back there, I would stop along the top ridge of the back pit and take in a beautiful vista looking eastward. The oppitsite slope/decent from the ridge, which was unaffected by the one time minning operation there, was steep.

I later assumed this to have been Governers Hill when I saw it on old maps like the Scotts ATlas of 1876 and the Gordon map of 1833 (where it appears to have been hand written in). It appears on a few other maps but is absent on more modern topos. There is also a governers branch, a modest watershed in the same area.

When I visited the area this past summer with my son Jack, I could barely recognize the place due to extensive alterations to the land in there. Getting to the old vista spot was difficult due to large sand mounds designed to eliminate vehicle traffic.

Here is the spot.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.83607450104928&lng=-74.50209975242615&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=

Here is what it looked like there this past summer.
watermark.php

At only two at the time, Jack mastered the intimidating sand mounds like a pro:
watermark.php

watermark.php

the view was diminished due to erosion of the pit ridge and some pines that had grown to obstruct visability.

watermark.php

My question is...has anyone else known this area as governers hill, or have any information as to the exact location of governer's hill? It is possible that after sand operations started there, maps stopped referring to it as such, due to minning operations compromising the integrity and elevation of the area. The same might be true of Owens Hill to the east where Clayton sand is now. Furthermore, any ideas as to the origins of the name: Governers hill.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

Owens Hill is still there. My brother, Jessica, and I visited there on 12/20/03. It is not an impressive hill because the land around it is also high. In general I suspect the complete area there which has numerous hills was probably Owens Hill and not one specific location, but the one hill left is located here.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.85445&lng=-74.465477&z=16&type=hist&gpx=

The one side dips sharply and I started down it and did not realize it was mud. By the time I got to the bottom I had mud up to my knees.

Here is my original post but most if not all of the photo's do not work.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=663&highlight=owens

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Oh, okay, I wasn't real familar with Owen's hill and only saw it referred to on some maps (probably the Scotts atlas).

No word on Governers Hill huh? There must be some reason why it was named that. Perhaps a story (and maybe an exact location) lost to time.

Jeff

Oh, okay, I wasn't real familar with Owen's hill and only saw it referred to on some maps (probably the Scotts atlas).

No word on Governers Hill huh? There must be some reason why it was named that. Perhaps a story (and maybe an exact location) lost to time.

Jeff

Jeff:

Henry Bisbee suggests the hill takes it name from Richard Penn:

Governor’s Hill (Woodland Township). An elevation one hundred and eighty-nine feet above sea level one mile west of Woodmansie. First found on 1868 map. Most likely named after Lt. Governor Richard Penn (1771-1773), who took up a number of surveys in the pines, including one on February 21, 1775, near a branch of Westcunk “that heads into the Plains” (quoted from a survey housed in the Surveyor General’s Office records).

Bisbee also mentions

Governor’s Hill Brook (Woodland Township). Today this stream and its several tributaries are a series of cranberry bogs. The 1868 map shows that Governor’s Hill Brook had two tributaries, Good Water Run and Long Spring. The main stream emptied into Jones Mill Pond above Duke’s Bridge. Source of stream is near Governor’s Hill, hence the name.

(both quotes from page 98)

Bisbee, Henry W.
1971 Sign Posts: Place Names in History of Burlington County, N.J. Alexis Press, Inc., Willingboro, New Jersey.

If I find anything additional about Governor’s Hill and its origins, I will certainly let you know.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jerseyman,

In your post above, Bisbee mentions Jones Mill. Guy and I are keen to know how old that is. We can see it on the William Watson 1812 map. Do you have any information regarding its earliest history and who constructed it?

Jerseyman,

In your post above, Bisbee mentions Jones Mill. Guy and I are keen to know how old that is. We can see it on the William Watson 1812 map. Do you have any information regarding its earliest history and who constructed it?

Bob:

Below is a small portion of a context I prepared a couple years ago for a project in Woodland Township; I think TeeGate will remember that project as he brought some important information to me regarding survey stones, which I passed on to the lead archaeologist. Please realize that the documentation provided below only summarizes local history based solely on secondary sources and, unfortunately, the project did not extend beyond a Phase IA effort, which would have allowed me the time to conduct more indepth research using primary source material.

The earliest exploitation of natural resources in Woodland Township occurred during the 1760s, when Pine Barren ironmasters dug bog iron from the area’s wetlands and stream banks. Historic texts and records suggest that permanent settlement in present-day Woodland Township, Burlington County, New Jersey, did not occur until sometime during the second-half of the eighteenth century, when Abraham Jones acquired a tract of land and constructed a log cabin as his residence. He quickly saw the opportunity present in the stands of timber surrounding him and soon erected a sawmill for processing the timber into lumber and other wood products. He cut many oak and pine trees as he cleared his land for crops (Woodward and Hageman 1883:507). According to a Burlington County road return, a Benjamin Jones (relationship to Abraham, if any, is currently unknown), had already owned a sawmill dam by 1774 on a stream known today as the Jones Mill Branch (Bisbee 1971:123). The resultant piles of lumber from the sawmill fueled the construction of other dwellings in what would become Woodland Township as more settlers arrived. The Joneses also shipped lumber to other marketplaces throughout the region. After using the mill for several years, the Joneses sold the mill to a member of the ubiquitous Haines family, who operated several years longer before abandoning it (Woodward and Hageman 1883:507).

Bisbee, Henry H.
1971 Sign Posts : Place Names in History of Burlington County, N.J. Alexia Press, Incorporated, Willingboro, New Jersey.

Woodward, Major E.M. and John F. Hageman
1883 History of Burlington and Mercer Counties, New Jersey…. Everts & Peck, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
1774! That makes it a very early one in the pines then.

Even on the 1931 ariel you can tell that area was cleared of trees, all up and down that creek, which is now called Risley Branch on the topo's of Chatsworth area.

Thanks. I would not have guessed that old.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff:

Henry Bisbee suggests the hill takes it name from Richard Penn:

Governor’s Hill (Woodland Township). An elevation one hundred and eighty-nine feet above sea level one mile west of Woodmansie. First found on 1868 map. Most likely named after Lt. Governor Richard Penn (1771-1773), who took up a number of surveys in the pines, including one on February 21, 1775, near a branch of Westcunk “that heads into the Plains” (quoted from a survey housed in the Surveyor General’s Office records).

Bisbee also mentions

Governor’s Hill Brook (Woodland Township). Today this stream and its several tributaries are a series of cranberry bogs. The 1868 map shows that Governor’s Hill Brook had two tributaries, Good Water Run and Long Spring. The main stream emptied into Jones Mill Pond above Duke’s Bridge. Source of stream is near Governor’s Hill, hence the name.

(both quotes from page 98)

Bisbee, Henry W.
1971 Sign Posts: Place Names in History of Burlington County, N.J. Alexis Press, Inc., Willingboro, New Jersey.

If I find anything additional about Governor’s Hill and its origins, I will certainly let you know.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ahhh, you knew I was just waiting for you to chime in:D thanks for the information, Jerseyman. A quick look at the topo shows that an elevation of exactly 189 feet was very close to where I was, but not exactly. That location would be in, or just behind the 72 pit (is what they used to call it) I am very familar with the pit.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.845086787471445&lng=-74.4927978515625&z=16&type=topo&gpx=

Looking again at the topo, I think it was where the pit is now.

the pit does have a very high elevation along one side which could be the hill. Unfortunitely that hill would have been significantly diminished due to sand mining there. I will have to explore just behind the pit to see. I think I took some photos of there recently. Found them, this is from June.

this is the top of the pit, not really looking down, but across
watermark.php

This is from the bottom looking up to the top.
watermark.php

Thanks for the information, it is very much appreciated.

Jeff