GPS FAQ

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They reinforce what I have found that tress really scatter the signal.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Tree cover really plays havoc on the signal.

For some reason my GPS does not like working on the Friendship-Speedwell road. However it works great on Nash's Cabin Road, which is pretty tree-lined.

One of these days I will invest in the external antenna for my GPS and put it on my roof rack.

J

JeffD

You guys say you have experienced some technical difficulties, and you said I, who have little patience with technical problems, should get a GPS unit, Guy? And if it is the trees that are causing interferrence, you should sue the DEP for allowing trees to ruin your GPS experience. Either that, or we could go in with chainsaws and level the forest. :wink:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

There were no technical difficulties, just slightly inaccurate readings when around many trees.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
On mine I will sometimes loose signal with the satelites.

Regarding whether or not you should get one Jeff, it's a learning curve (expecially mine) but once you get used to the units operation and it's quirks, you wonder how you ever got along without it.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
As far as chainswaing the forests and suing the DEP, lets not turn this particular thread into the bitter cesspool of hate that the other one has turned into.

We all know where each of us stands. Let's just worry about GPSs here and leave the fighting to the Nature forum. :)