GPS

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Garmin recently introduced color versions of the Legend http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendc and Vista http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac. They look like they would be really nice, although I haven't seen one in person yet. Guy - are these actually shipping yet and do you sell them? The Legend C seems like a good value and is the same as the Vista but without the compass and altimeter.

As far as the maps go, look at the screenshots I posted of Garmin's maps. This is a location near Forked River Mountain as displayed on the 2620 using Garmin's MapSource US Topo map
02_G.jpg

This is the same location as displayed with Garmin's MapSource City Navigator map
01_G.jpg

But if you don't load any mapsource product you would just see a completely blank screen at this location! I think the photos will also give you an idea of how color is a nice feature to have on a GPS. Note that the City Navigator maps are "routeable" while the US Topo maps are not however. That means your GPS can automatically figure out a route and guide you from point A to point B with the City Navigator maps but not the Topo maps. The City maps also have more accurate streets in developed areas, and include all their names. The Topo maps are older and the little roads don't generally have names, but I find them much more useful for exploring the pines. As you can see in the examples above, there is not much detail on the City Navigator maps when you get off the paved roads.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am almost certain I am going to buy the Topo Maps. I have looked over the maps at Garmin's site, compared them, and the Topo shows much more.

For example.

Here is the Red Oak Grove area with the Topo maps.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/topo.jpg

And here is the same area with City Select.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/select.jpg

The City Select shows the names of all of the roads it displays, and the Topo does not, but I do all of my exploring in the pines and the names of the roads to me are unimportant. I just want them to show up. It would be better if Garmin used the actual USGS Topo maps instead of making their own, but I will have to deal with that.

And Ben is who runs this site and sells GPS equiptment. I just help him monitor this site.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
TeeGate said:
It would be better if Garmin used the actual USGS Topo maps instead of making their own, but I will have to deal with that.
I was just browsing the Mapsource products on Garmin's website. They actually do have the 1:24000 USGS maps. But the bad news is that they don't cover NJ :(

Take a look here: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo24knpeast.jsp Using the map viewer, pick one of those National Parks that you're familiar with and zoom in to about .5 miles. Wow, these are very nice. I'm gonna have to think about this for my next trip to Mt. Desert Island :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
TeeGate said:
It would be better if Garmin used the actual USGS Topo maps instead of making their own, but I will have to deal with that.
I was just browsing the Mapsource products on Garmin's website. They actually do have the 1:24000 USGS maps. But the bad news is that they don't cover NJ :(

Take a look here: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo24knpeast.jsp Using the map viewer, pick one of those National Parks that you're familiar with and zoom in to about .5 miles. Wow, these are very nice. I'm gonna have to think about this for my next trip to Mt. Desert Island :)

They still do not appear to be the actual USGS maps. They look like they are made by Garmin. At least the National park I was looking at.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/post/map3.jpg

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Did you try setting "more" detail?

map.sized.jpg

This looks pretty nice to me. Now when you say they aren't "actual USGS maps" do you mean they don't look like a scan of the maps? That isn't possible on these GPS'es. They are not capable of displaying images. The maps consist of a series of commands to "connect the dots" and render the different areas with various colors and patterns. This information has been stored in a special file format so it's drawn on the screen as vectors as opposed to displaying an image. Garmin says "Maps are comparable to 1:24,000 scale paper maps provided by the USGS. This is the most detailed topographical data available."

See also http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo24knpeast.jsp#screens for an example of how it looks on the GPS screen.

There are people who use PDA's connected to a GPS with special software that accepts scanned USGS maps and even ariel photographs. Maybe that's more of what you want? But this seems to be in the "do it yourself" category and it only works with PDA's, not dedicated GPS'es.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not set it at more detail, and that looks much better. I was frustrated on the slow server while trying to view the maps and did not even think of that.

But I still would prefer the USGS maps, since they would be exactly like the paper maps I might have with me.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
They don't contain all of the detail of a USGS 1:24k map.

I haven't ever wished I had the Garmin topos when I was in the woods. I find that working offline with my PC and getting waypoints setup will work just fine for me in the woods.

My old Garmin iQue had software that would allow me to load USGS DRG maps on it, but it was a kludgy solution. I ended up never really using it anyway.

For my money the standard Mapsource City Select works just fine for me.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well for one thing, I think maps are printed at a resolution of at least 2400 dots per inch. The eTrex color screen is 176x220 pixels for example, so you're in totally different ballparks there for starters.

Different strokes for different folks. I was personally surpised by just how much enjoyment the topo maps have added to my explorations. There are lots of features that just aren't on the City maps. Have found some lakes, streams and roads I never knew existed before. I am only using the Garmin topo maps in my car now on the StreetPilot 2620 which isn't portable. But I'm getting so hooked I think a Legend C may be somewhere in my future. I'm currently using the Magellan topo maps on a Meridian Gold but they are not as good, and I like the use of color. Certainly none of this stuff is essential, more often than not I just hike out into the woods without the GPS.

Of course you're right about planning in advance on the computer, but being an impulsive type I rarely take the time to do that :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I now have the topo maps in my GPS and it is working well. As I mentioned many of the roads in the pines are not on it so we shall see how impressive I find it to be while using it.

Steve... do you find the maps in your GPS to have most of the roads?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
Well if you have the patience to do some experimentation, this program might be a way to get something closer to a real USGS map into your GPS. I never knew such a thing existed until I just read about it on another forum...

http://www.geopainting.com/en/

I had looked over a few of those sites recently, but I have a Mac and I would have to do all of the work in my daughter room on her PC. They don't support Mac.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Steve,

The next time we are together I want to compare our maps and see the differences.

I have not been in the woods with the Topo Maps to see how many roads are there or not, but a quick scan shows many of them not to be. For example the road from the Swamp Monster to the place we ate lunch when Bob B. took us there is not of the map. Is it on yours?

The road that takes you up to the Cranberry Pumping station is not shown.

There is not a road leading to Nash's cabin.

The short final road to Ten Mile Hollow is not on the map.

The road to Unbridge at Lower Forge is not on the map. That is a major one from Quaker Bridge Road.

Guy

TeeGate said:
Steve,

The next time we are together I want to compare our maps and see the differences.

I have not been in the woods with the Topo Maps to see how many roads are there or not, but a quick scan shows many of them not to be. For example the road from the Swamp Monster to the place we ate lunch when Bob B. took us there is not of the map. Is it on yours?

The road that takes you up to the Cranberry Pumping station is not shown.

There is not a road leading to Nash's cabin.

The short final road to Ten Mile Hollow is not on the map.

The road to Unbridge at Lower Forge is not on the map. That is a major one from Quaker Bridge Road.

Guy

Guy,

Mine does not show the Swamp Monster road or the road to the pumping station. It does show Lower Forge Rd off of Quaker Bridge and it shows Nash's Cabin Rd.

Steve