Gratitude

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com

In the front matter of some books is a page for acknowledgements. If I had included one in my new book, THE STORY SHELL, I would have titled it Gratitude. And it certainly would have taken more than a single page.

To that peerless pair, Whip and Manumuskin; to fellow-hikers Ed, Teegate, and Turtle; to fellow-celebrants at the Pic; and to many Forum members I have not met, I can only say a heartfelt thank you.

Y’all have provided me with information, inspiration, and encouragement. Perhaps most important, you have kindled in me a love for the Barrens. Inevitably, a story grew -- about a heroic Pine Barrens Treefrog -- and it became a series: Tales of Friendship Bogs.

I will be visiting the Barrens during most of April and have brought the new book with me. Any Forum member who wants one is entitled to a free copy while I’m here. (Just e-mail your request to Turtle.)

If you’re between six and eight years old, you’ll really enjoy it! That’s the word from one of my favorite reviewers.

BTW, check out my website articles about the Barrens -- you’ll see photos there by Whip, Bobbleton, Ed, and Teegate.

Glo
http://www.gloriarepp.com/resources/pine_barrens/

P.S. My apologies to Bob: I don’t think my illustrator got the dangleberries quite right. Please make allowances for artistic license. :dance:

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Glo,

Welcome back and congratulations on your wonderful accomplishment! I can't wait for the "book signing - wing eating - wine tasting - meet and greet". I still don't think that one has to be 6-8 years old to enjoy your work. (I'll bet that's your favorite reviewer in the photo). Looking forward to catching up and hearing your tales from the winter season.

Terry

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
My son is 6 years old, reads constantly and I know would dig this book. I will purchasing it for his birthday in May. Sounds great and the illustrations look killer.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Gloria Repp's interest in the Pine Barrens began years ago, during family visits to the grandparents in New Jersey. After her children grew up, she made further trips to explore the Pine Barrens wilderness, and one spring she listened to its frogs. She found them irresistible. Soon afterwards she began to write about a tiny Pine Barrens Treefrog named Pibbin, and his adventures became the Friendship Bog Series.

It is fascinating to watch what our pine barrens experiences inspire us to do. I can recall the first time I ever heard a Pine Barrens Treefrog years and years ago; the crooner called from way off in the distance during a spring evening pines excursion with Alfie. Through my insistence the two of us followed the trail of the wonk. This night would open my ears to symphony of the bogs and later to an investment in audio-recording equipment and of my sitting at dank locations night after night after night stealing the sounds.

I also had the fortune to be with Gloria the spring she first witnessed a distant wonk. If I could have looked into the workings of Gloria's thoughts at the time, as we slowly approached the awakening bog, I probably would have seen the birthing of a tiny treefrog named Pibbin, a lively creature who makes his home in one of our beautiful bogs of Friendship.

Gloria has just released the first volume of Pibbin and his A Tale of Friendship Bog series (volume two, previously released, is revealed in posts above) and the beautiful little book is available for us to enjoy. Her wonk inspired treasure is titled Pibbin the Small.

We all should own it here. http://www.amazon.com/Pibbin-Small-...3781/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318127503&sr=8-1