Grave in BRSF....

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Has anyone ever been to the grave in Bass River State Forest? I seen an article on page 28 of the new Weird NJ magazine. It gives brief directions of where it is located. There are two pictures, one has a wooden cross mounted to a tree and the picture of the gravestone itself. It almost looks like a big rock. The inscription only reads "W.P. 1700". It also mentions old foundations in the area. The gravestone looks really old.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
wolfspider05 said:
Has anyone ever been to the grave in Bass River State Forest? I seen an article on page 28 of the new Weird NJ magazine. It gives brief directions of where it is located. There are two pictures, one has a wooden cross mounted to a tree and the picture of the gravestone itself. It almost looks like a big rock. The inscription only reads "W.P. 1700". It also mentions old foundations in the area. The gravestone looks really old.

I bet it's not a grave, but a marker of some sort.

Did William Penn own land around that area?

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
bruset said:
I bet it's not a grave, but a marker of some sort.

Did William Penn own land around that area?

True, thats what I am guessing, more like a marker then a grave. I want to find out what the W.P is out of curiousity. It could be William Penn, not sure if he owned land in that area. who knows?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am betting on a property marker also, actually certain of it That is why the N20 marker is located 5 feet away. They always place the state markers nearby, usually with a line pointing toward the old stone. The question is what would the N stand for? In Wharton and Lebanon the state markers say NJ. I would assume Bass River might say BR, though I don't know because I have not looked for any there.

The real question is where is it located? Bass River State Forest is actually many different location scattered all around, some quite a distance from each other.

One thing to remember is that many of the older inscribed stones were actually placed there much later than the date on them. I know this because of talking to a property owner who informed me that a stone on their property with an old date, does not show up in records until many years later. All previous records don't mention it. In any event the one in the photo looks old.

If anyone comes up with this location I would be interested in visiting it.

Guy

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i think those 2 wierd new jersey guys stink on t.v. no personality and a boring show . at least there out doing there thing to all 50 states nowso new jersey can get a break.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
They have no personality and get paid to print garbage their tools, I mean fans, write FOR them. They don't even visit everywhere they write about. That's my biggest problem with them; I feel you have no right to write about a place you haven't even gone to.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Guy, I am a little confused. Are you saying that the place we visited is in Weird NJ now? Is that correct? I am a little confused 'cause I thought the disscussion was about a "grave" in Bass River.

Jeff

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
woodjin said:
Guy, I am a little confused. Are you saying that the place we visited is in Weird NJ now? Is that correct? I am a little confused 'cause I thought the disscussion was about a "grave" in Bass River.

Jeff

I think we're just talking about WNJ in general now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
Guy, I am a little confused. Are you saying that the place we visited is in Weird NJ now? Is that correct? I am a little confused 'cause I thought theJeff,

The Bass River Grave is mentioned in Weird NJ, and after posting my reply I read a few more pages and posted the second post about other items mentioned in it. That is where the Barren Blob comes in. A woman said she was flying over the pines and noticed a "lake" with algae in it like the newspapers talked about at the shore. I was thinking that it may be the same place we visited that she saw.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I see. I enjoy reading the weird NJ mags from time to time as a goof. However, I definitely don't want to see delicate areas showing up in there. Although I know that has already happened in some instances.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
wolfspider05 said:

I have come up with three possible locations as to where this would be. All of them close to each other, and all in an area I never go. So one day in the future I will check them out and see what I come up with.

Guy