Great Horned Owl?

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Crows will zero in on just about any threat to their "community" especially raptors. Owls seem to incur the wrath of any birds, hence the hummingbird attack. If we were having a slow day banding, we'd play a Screech Owl tape and usually end up catching a few Titmice or Chickadees even if we hadn't heard them in the area.

Thank you

Spectra92

Jan 30, 2009
Terrific photos 46er!
Saw a pair of GHO's swooping after ea. other a few weeks ago in a wooded area of Washington Lake Park, in very suburban Wash. Twp., Gloucester County. The "hoot" nailed down their ID.

It was fully overcast, dusky, around 4:30 PM.
I keep going back there, but haven't seen them since.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks for the nice comments.

Around our house the GHO's started early this year, right around Christmas, but Jan/Feb is the typical nesting time and the hooting is how they find a mate. You'll normally hear the hoots from separate directions. We had a least 2 pair sounding off and a screecher outside my sons window.

Whipporwill; save the firewood, I've found that around dusk works best where I am.

Here is a fuzzball GHO chick from this past spring on some county protected property. There were 2 of them.

2423424355_34be242484_o.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had a sharpie land in my tree about 5 feet from my head and he put on a good show, he perched there and called for a least 5 minutes. Real loud when you are that close.

Now that must have been really interesting. That must have been a one in a million chance.

Your photos are real 46'r. Very good shots.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Now that must have been really interesting. That must have been a one in a million chance..

I would have to say that was one of my highlights to my 2008 season in the woods. I see sharpies very often in this spot, I have out a corn feeder in this location, it pulls in a lot of small critters and they feed in a small open area surounded by thick woods. It creates a kind of raptor buffet. I also saw a sharpie come in and grab a dove this year(well last year now.) I have seen a few misses but never a kill. It's amazing the amount of wildlife you can observe sitting stone still up in a tree in full camo for 4 hours.