Greenwood Forest tidbits

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I also have a few tidbits of information on the Greenwood Forest property near the Cedar Bridge Fire Tower and South. The eastern section of the Greenwood Forest, which includes up to the first dirt intersection from 539 on the road to the Forked River Mountains, was deeded to the state by the Harris Freit and Marsh families in 1957. The southern portion which includes almost all of Howardsville was deeded to the state by Stanley and Wanda Switlick in 1948.

Guy

bruset said:
Steve told me that all the roads that he tried in were blocked. Also, the last time Guy and I tried to go we found the way blocked as well.

Ben,

I guess I wasn't clear. The roads are blocked to vehicular traffic but there are no signs keeping anyone out. I think I had mentioned that I was waiting for cooler weather to explore the area since it would all have to be done on foot.

Steve~ who will try to be more clear in the future.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
greenwood is not a state forrest it is a wildlife management area and is maintained by the state from the license fees of hunters and fisherman although frequently abused by dirt bikes 4 wheelers and hippy party goers :x i would think if any areas are closed off it would be because of the above mentioned so it sucks we must all pay for that :cry: some sections of it are mixed with forked river coalition land that prohibits even more public use especially any vehicles. signs- signs everywhere theres signs. do this dont do that :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have two places to visit in that area soon. and using terraserver maps I see that I must walk also.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
Judging the size of the area we could spend an entire day hiking and exploring the area. Perhaps Bob, who has already explored it, can just show us the POI's. Bob?

I know the back way in too. There is a small resevoir in the back that is man-made. The water in it is clear as glass in certain areas.

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
you young kidsare losing it.............hiked into wells mills today from rte 72.........four miles in ,four miles back........by foot..............i was sixtyseven last birthday............but lordy,i do admit,my body felt it ..............the old pancoastal is now used by constr crews of hovnanian and kara..........all sorts of litter...........and there will be more..............i understand that old man horner is doing his best to keep all hikers and the like out of his lands around wells mills.............seeing the litter, i cant blame him............but maybe hed have mercy on an old piney.........press on,younguns

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Karl,

Explain pancoastal. Is that 532, or Bayshore, or something else?

Guy

B

BarryC

It's strange. That reminds me of the road that begins behind the Batsto/Pleasant Mills Church. It's blocked (sign says bridge is out, which it isn't), but you can go in from 206. I wonder what's up with closing these roads?
manumuskin said:
last year i drove all the way to the dead end at the back of howardsville.dont remember any blocks.their were several other people back there too.
Al

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
TeeGate, HI TEEGATE.......PANCOASTAL HIGHWAY IS THE TRAIL MARKED ON OLD MAPS RUNNING FROM WARREN GROVE AREA TO THE COAST BY FORKED RIVER... IT BEGINS TWO OR THREE MILES WEST OF THE MIRAGE ENTRANCE OFF WEST BAY AVENUE,AND BORDERS THE KARA AND MIRAGE COMMUNITIES ON THE NORTH......I NOTICED THE OTHER DAY THAT SOME MUNICIPALITY HAS PLACED NEW ROAD SIGNS.....WHITE ON BLUE.....AT THE ENTRY POINTS FROM WEST BAY AVENUE.....ALSO PUT UP ONE FOR THE TRAIL TO HOWARDSVILLE......CALLED APPROPRIATELY ENOUGH,HOWARDSVILLE,ROAD........I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND ANY MENTION OF IT,BUT ASSUME IT WAS QUITE A POPULAR ROAD BACK IN THE LATE SEVENTEEN HUNDREDS AND EARLY EIGHTEEEEEN HUNDREDS.......ONE HISTORIAN TOLD ME THAT IT WAS THE ONLY MAJOR ROAD OF THAT ERA..........IT CROSSES THE GSP AT THE BARNEGART TOLL BOOTHS......IF YOU FIND ANY ADDITIONAL INFO ON IT,LET ME KNOW......PRESS ON, KARL