Greenwood Girl's Grave

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
Someone just asked me if anyone could recall or have a photo of the girls grave located in Greenwood. This small cemetary is another cool spot that too many people knew about. The one stone was for a young girl girl named Atkinson. Someone had tried to repair it some years ago.but now a lot of the stone apparently has been removed. I think even Beck referrenced to stone in one of his books.
thanks for the help!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al is correct, too many people know about the place already. Years ago we had a member here saying they were jumping up and down on it. Most likely they were saying that to annoy me. I have driven by the area and there have been people without a doubt going there to visit it. If anyone knows the location it would be best to keep it to yourself. That is my opinon.

Sacred To The Memory
Of <------barely visible but very clear on a different stone that is in the same format.
Mary Louisa Atkerson
Born July..................ov <--------probably Died in Nov because you can see part of the letter N
13th 1872 Age........
Lay Away (Your Lit) tle
Dresses..........................
Darling Used To Wear
For She Nevermore Will Need
Them For She Is Climed The Golden Stairs <-----Climbed is spelled wrong and the word "Is" is correct.
Gone But Not Forgotting <-----Forgotten is spelled this way

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
Thanks! I figured the folks here would have some intell. on the site. Your picture is how I remember the stone. I haven't been out there myself for a while, I'm getting my info second hand. I hope it's not as bad as reported.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I haven't been there in probably four or five years now.Went there once and someone had left a white vase full of flowers which made it visible from quite a distance.I laid the vase over and drug some brush over it.Some folks just don't think.There was starting to be a worn trail to it also,I never use the trail and was hoping it would disappear but it was getting worse.
There is a group of folks in WV who go around finding abandoned cemeteries and restoring them.This aggravates me.Nothing cooler then an abandoned cemetery.I guess they feel their respecting the dead.I doubt the dead care.I could see it if you knew the people buried there.They fence it,put out flowers and make a sign with the name.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will have to stop by soon and check it out. My photo is from 2003 so we will have a good idea how much it has changed.

BTW, I know someone who knew the person who put the wood around it and tried to salvage it. I will have them refresh my memory.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Anything to ruin the natural setting.If they've done all that I don't even want
to go back there.Nothing like attracting attention to it.
I fear people finding it worse then anything the elements can do it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Didn't they put plexiglass on top of the frame as well?

I know nothing about that. They must have done it more recently.

BTW, I did ask ask bout the person who placed the wood there and even talked to my camera and recorded the name. However, the last name is cut off because someone else was talking in the background. In any event, the man's name was "Tiny" Stanley ??. He was an expert in old graves back in the 50's and 60's and made a point to visit everyone he learned of. He was called Tiny because he was over 300 pounds.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Oh I see ,you are referring to the wooden frame that surrounds the clay pieces.Never has been plexiglass on it when I was there.I remember wondering how long that frame had been there since it obviously couldn't be as old as the grave itself or it would have rotted away,even though it has obviously been there awhile.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Oh I see ,you are referring to the wooden frame that surrounds the clay pieces.Never has been plexiglass on it when I was there.I remember wondering how long that frame had been there since it obviously couldn't be as old as the grave itself or it would have rotted away,even though it has obviously been there awhile.

Interesting. For some reason I always assumed those markers were baked or dried clay, and the frame is the mold it was made in.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The fram was put there in the 60's or maybe 70s and may have been replaced since then.

BTW, the mans name was "Tiny" Stanley ZIMBA who first put it there. I have been told that.

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
I always thought it was interesting that the grave stones looked like they were made from the same material they produced at Pasadena. Was that the only kilm in the area or were there others?

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
Al is correct, too many people know about the place already. Years ago we had a member here saying they were jumping up and down on it. Most likely they were saying that to annoy me. I have driven by the area and there have been people without a doubt going there to visit it. If anyone knows the location it would be best to keep it to yourself. That is my opinon.

Sacred To The Memory
Of <------barely visible but very clear on a different stone that is in the same format.
Mary Louisa Atkerson
Born July..19th 1872................ov <--------probably Died in Nov because you can see part of the letter Nov
13th 1872 Age........
Lay Away (Your Lit) tle
Dresses..........................
Darling Used To Wear
For She Nevermore Will Need
Them For She Is Climed The Golden Stairs <-----Climbed is spelled wrong and the word "Is" is correct.
Gone But Not Forgotting <-----Forgotten is spelled this way

An article was written by the Daily Herald of Delphos Ohio on 31 May 1899. An inquiry at the time could find no trace of any Atkerson family in the area nor anyone who ever heard of them. The author noted there was no inclosure around the grave. Also mentioned was the fact that only by accident could this grave be found. Bold type is mine in Teegate's original response. I have not put the link to this story on Ancestry.com because it might pinpoint where this grave is.

There was an infant named Maggie Atkerson, of Raritan NJ, listed as being born about 1872 and dying 7 July 1872. It doesn't quite match the gravestone but who knows what the exact truth is after all these years.

Reactions: Apu Zen

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The wood may have been replaced over the years, all I was told is he placed it there (first).

rjb ...can you come up with the reason the article was in that newspaper?

Guy