Greetings...I'm making a film on the Pine Barrens

dskessler

Scout
Nov 14, 2011
Hello photographers! I hope video isn't too far off topic. I'm really excited to share with you a project that myself and some friends have been working on for the last few months. We are attempting to make a feature length film that explores the Pine Barrens. A cinematic expedition to interpret the amazing landscape and it's stories. We are still in the very early stages and I will readily admit that the Pines are pretty new to most of us. I'm seeing some really great stuff here so I wanted to virtually shake hands with your community. This link is where I've been posting sketches of our experiences as our film comes together.
www.pinebarrensfilm.com
I recommend watching the videos.
also, we are eager to find collaborators or any guidance.

-David Kessler

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

dskessler

Scout
Nov 14, 2011
David:

If you are friends with Lord Whimsy, what more do you need? This bon vivant and raconteur of nature and the realm of man will always be the Affect Provincial! He is such a magnificent idler.

Please offer his Lordship my humble and kind regards!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I will surely pass on your regards. Whimsy is indeed a friend and I think we would be literally and figuratively lost without him.

dskessler

Scout
Nov 14, 2011
John Pettit isn't from Millville is he? also My moms side of the family are named Sparks,it comes from the name Sparhawk.I noticed the names of the musicians.
I know John has lived in Philly his whole life but he might have some family in Millville. I'll ask him. I don't know where Jesse Sparhawk is from. Maybe you are related.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice collection of video's and photo's. I hope you endeavors turn out well.

Guy

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
I must say, this is absolutely fantastic. What are you filming with? The low light shots look beautiful, I'd assume Canon 5d mkii? Curious about your dolly system too. I'd love to watch you guys film a piece. These short sketches are gorgeous! Keep up the great work!

dskessler

Scout
Nov 14, 2011
I must say, this is absolutely fantastic. What are you filming with? The low light shots look beautiful, I'd assume Canon 5d mkii? Curious about your dolly system too. I'd love to watch you guys film a piece. These short sketches are gorgeous! Keep up the great work!
Thanks!
Actually I'm shooting with the new Sony FS100. I bought it specifically because of it's ability to shoot in low light - much less noise even with the gain turned up than the 5dmkII. I also have a 7D which I bring along because I have some really nice lenses for it that I can't use with the sony.
The dolly system is the Kessler pocket dolly. the shots that you are seeing (which are so amazingly slow and smooth) are like that because they are mostly shot at 60p, effectively making them slow motion. The FS100 also has the ability to shoot 60p at 1080 which the 5d and the 7d can not do.
you will have to come out there with us one day. we can always use another perspective.

dskessler

Scout
Nov 14, 2011
The audio is gorgeous as well, is there a Vimeo channel I can follow?
I haven't created a vimeo channel yet. I was keeping the whole project quiet up until now in order to gather enough material so that it can be well represented. so far the videos are only viewable on the film's site but i'll let you know when that changes.

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Brilliant stuff! I had wanted to do some no budget, short films myself, but I just cannot stand the footage my Nikon D90 puts out, especially in low light. I can't tell you how excited I was watching all the sketches. The lightning over Atsion lake had me reeling with smiles, very Terrence Malick vibe going on there. I would love to witness a shoot, just say the word! You may want to do a piece on photographer Al Horner http://pinelandsimagery.com/ He has been photographing the pines for a number of years, he's a great guy. If you happen to ever need still photographs I'd be more than happy to provide anything I can.
Again, beautiful work.

Chase

dskessler

Scout
Nov 14, 2011
Brilliant stuff! I had wanted to do some no budget, short films myself, but I just cannot stand the footage my Nikon D90 puts out, especially in low light. I can't tell you how excited I was watching all the sketches. The lightning over Atsion lake had me reeling with smiles, very Terrence Malick vibe going on there. I would love to witness a shoot, just say the word! You may want to do a piece on photographer Al Horner http://pinelandsimagery.com/ He has been photographing the pines for a number of years, he's a great guy. If you happen to ever need still photographs I'd be more than happy to provide anything I can.
Again, beautiful work.

Chase
Thanks Chase
I looked at your website too. Brilliant stuff. I love long exposure stills and wish there was a way to get that look with video. I love the Sea Breeze shots too. I shot some video there over the summer but I wasn't all that thrilled with the results.
I'll take a look at Al Horner. I am looking to do some interviews with people. Mainly I am looking for natural story tellers, people who will relate their own experiences as well as keep alive local folklore - new and old.
I might be out there later this week but if that doesn't work out I'll definitely keep you in the know about when we are shooting - and probably bug you for cool location ideas.

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Very cool, thanks for the kind words. I was planning a short artistic documentary on Sea Breeze called The Death of a Delaware Bay Community http://vimeo.com/22627188 , but I just can't get it off the ground. I was even in touch with some former residents who loved the idea. It has been put on hold for the time being. Seeing your videos has certainly rekindled that urge to go back there.

You're certainly on the right forum for this project. The knowledge here is over-whelming.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
David:

If you are friends with Lord Whimsy, what more do you need? This bon vivant and raconteur of nature and the realm of man will always be the Affect Provincial! He is such a magnificent idler.

Please offer his Lordship my humble and kind regards!

Best regards,
Jerseyman
I agree with Jerseyman, never a dull moment with Allen along! I see he had you out at Whitesbog, a personal favorite spot for me.